Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2012, 06:30 AM   #11
60_MINUTES
Bench Warmer
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Virginia, small town
Posts: 261
Gender: Male
Member Number: 20464
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Do you think the Arians "retirement" was a shot across Tomlins Bow....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminpa View Post
I hope I am wrong, but that's how I've viewed him for years now. He can talk, but he doesn't walk. He strikes me as one of those guys who interviews great, but can't actually do the job. He would be a great team spokesman. He is an excellent corporate communicator; he can say absolutely nothing in a lot of words with the best of them, and that is a talent. He's has a very likable public persona, until he doesn't follow through with any of it, and as a spokesman he wouldn't be accountable for the follow through.


Right... I feel the same way you said it better than me. I do think he will end up learning from his mistakes.. I think he could end up being damn good but we are going through his growing pains until that happens... his mouth was ready to be the head man but his actions have been nothing more than coat tail riding... over the next 5 to 7 years he will no longer be able to ride that horse anymore and we will see what he's got. the one good thing is he is off to a good start and it looks to me like we are putting some good talent in place for him to make this his own show... Lets hope we see less mouth and more doing over the next few years
60_MINUTES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:52 AM   #12
TRH
Living Legend
 
TRH's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 4,391
Gender: Male
Member Number: 17206
Thanks: 98
Thanked 222 Times in 155 Posts
Default Re: Do you think the Arians "retirement" was a shot across Tomlins Bow....

I'm sure they worked with Tomlin.

Tomlin was definitely involved with working through it and none of us were in the room with Tomlin and Rooney, so its all speculation. Even though Tomlin gave him public support, i'm sure he worked with Rooney on this, not against him.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:42 AM   #13
FanSince72
Team President
 
FanSince72's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 2,235
Member Number: 17502
Thanks: 292
Thanked 1,055 Times in 473 Posts
Default Re: Do you think the Arians "retirement" was a shot across Tomlins Bow....

I think Tomlin is one of those guys who has a hard time breaking up friendships or loyalties even if they may have become detrimental. I've seen that happen in job situations where a boss really needs to let a guy go but has trouble doing it because even though it's obvious that the guy really isn't cut out for the job, everyone likes him and couldn't imagine not having him around.

Maybe he realized that Arians may have taken the "passing thing" too far and realized that we needed to move in a different direction but saw that he was tight with Ben and maybe Tomlin and others liked him as well and he had problems when it came to pulling the trigger, so the Rooney's did it for him.

Maybe Tomlin is a little too "human" in that regard.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:37 AM   #14
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter
 
Atlanta Dan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,077
Member Number: 728
Thanks: 1,839
Thanked 5,795 Times in 2,678 Posts
Default Re: Do you think the Arians "retirement" was a shot across Tomlins Bow....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
I think Tomlin is one of those guys who has a hard time breaking up friendships or loyalties even if they may have become detrimental. I've seen that happen in job situations where a boss really needs to let a guy go but has trouble doing it because even though it's obvious that the guy really isn't cut out for the job, everyone likes him and couldn't imagine not having him around.

Maybe he realized that Arians may have taken the "passing thing" too far and realized that we needed to move in a different direction but saw that he was tight with Ben and maybe Tomlin and others liked him as well and he had problems when it came to pulling the trigger, so the Rooney's did it for him.

Maybe Tomlin is a little too "human" in that regard.
Good points

Same attitude probably contributed to Aaron Smith not being placed on IR in 2010 and being brought back in 2011 without being required to take a haircut on his salary

Since Tomlin was told when he was hired in 2007 that LeBeau was staying, Arains was Tomlin's biggest coaching hire - a combination of loyalty and stubborness probbely contributed to Tomlin going to bat for Arains after the 2009 and 2011 seasons
a
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #15
kan_t
Assistant Coach
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,170
Member Number: 21653
Thanks: 292
Thanked 579 Times in 321 Posts
Default Re: Do you think the Arians "retirement" was a shot across Tomlins Bow....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
I'm sure they worked with Tomlin.

Tomlin was definitely involved with working through it and none of us were in the room with Tomlin and Rooney, so its all speculation. Even though Tomlin gave him public support, i'm sure he worked with Rooney on this, not against him.
Agreed. I think Tomlin was involved in this decision making and Rooney just acted as the 'Bad Guy' there.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:04 PM   #16
Kanata-Steeler
Team President
 
Kanata-Steeler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,026
Member Number: 15552
Thanks: 119
Thanked 127 Times in 75 Posts
Default Re: Do you think the Arians "retirement" was a shot across Tomlins Bow....

...you mean as in, shouldn't EVERYONE, in the entire Steelers' org (including TOMLIN) always be under the microscope ???.
Hell YES !!! -no one is irreplaceable.
Kanata-Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #17
zcoop
Assistant Coach
Supporter
 
zcoop's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Stone Mtn, GA
Posts: 1,469
Gender: Male
Member Number: 20513
Thanks: 654
Thanked 710 Times in 413 Posts
Default Re: Do you think the Arians "retirement" was a shot across Tomlins Bow....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60_MINUTES View Post
The Rooneys have done this for over 40 years... Im quite sure we know what kind of Management we have.. Tomlin on the other hand we dont know yet... all we do know is its clear to everyone that the Rooneys had to step in and fire a guy that everyone in the football world agreed needed to go... Now given the fact the Rooneys never do this... I think we can all agree... they are not anywhere near owners like you mentioned above ( again see 40 years of business for proof of that) it doesnt say alot for Tomlin being the man we think he is...

Yes he talks it but in this case the Rooneys had to walk it.. Lets hope Tomlin starts owning more things... Or maybe we can hope he unleeshes Hell on the Coord that everyone especailly his boss knows needs to go..

By the way Im not a Tomin hater... I just think the book is still out on the guy... all I do know is the Rooneys dont usually have to do things like this.. Their past doesnt need approval... Tomlins future will be defined on how he handles this team over the next 5 to 7 years.. So far he is off to a good start.. I still think he is to close to come guys which is understandable.. the guy is the same age they are... I think he will be a better coach 5 years from now.. again we will see about him.. we dont have to see about our Rooneys they have done it better than anyone else in history over the last 40 years
Couldn't disagree more. You say we don't know Mike but we know the Rooneys. I don't know Mike nor the Rooneys. The elder Rooney's may have a reputation but the youngster in charge is quite different from the prior leadership, so we'll have to see where he wants to go from here. If in fact he did what you seem to suggest that he has done, then I stick to my point comparing him to Blank, Davis and Jones. You don't have to agree and I don't need your approval.

Psst.........don't condesend to me, this is a message board.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:06 PM   #18
60_MINUTES
Bench Warmer
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Virginia, small town
Posts: 261
Gender: Male
Member Number: 20464
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Do you think the Arians "retirement" was a shot across Tomlins Bow....

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcoop View Post
Couldn't disagree more. You say we don't know Mike but we know the Rooneys. I don't know Mike nor the Rooneys. The elder Rooney's may have a reputation but the youngster in charge is quite different from the prior leadership, so we'll have to see where he wants to go from here. If in fact he did what you seem to suggest that he has done, then I stick to my point comparing him to Blank, Davis and Jones. You don't have to agree and I don't need your approval.

Psst.........don't condesend to me, this is a message board.
ART 2 has been involved in running this team for many years... last time I checked he was no youngster.. and I again I stick by my point the Rooneys dont have to prove anything to anyone... They as a family have done it better than anyone in history period.. Mike ( who is a youngster ) needs to prove himself... again he is off to a good start but how good he actually is will come out over the next 5 to 7 years... I think he will be good but he needs to quit talking all that shit and start walking some of it
60_MINUTES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:28 PM   #19
zcoop
Assistant Coach
Supporter
 
zcoop's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Stone Mtn, GA
Posts: 1,469
Gender: Male
Member Number: 20513
Thanks: 654
Thanked 710 Times in 413 Posts
Default Re: Do you think the Arians "retirement" was a shot across Tomlins Bow....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60_MINUTES View Post
ART 2 has been involved in running this team for many years... last time I checked he was no youngster.. and I again I stick by my point the Rooneys dont have to prove anything to anyone... They as a family have done it better than anyone in history period.. Mike ( who is a youngster ) needs to prove himself... again he is off to a good start but how good he actually is will come out over the next 5 to 7 years... I think he will be good but he needs to quit talking all that shit and start walking some of it
Is AR II the youngest of the owners? What chit are you referring to that Mike needs to start walking? The guys been great by any standards among his peers in the NFL HCing fraternity. What does he have to prove specifically?
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #20
60_MINUTES
Bench Warmer
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Virginia, small town
Posts: 261
Gender: Male
Member Number: 20464
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Do you think the Arians "retirement" was a shot across Tomlins Bow....

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcoop View Post
Is AR II the youngest of the owners? What chit are you referring to that Mike needs to start walking? The guys been great by any standards among his peers in the NFL HCing fraternity. What does he have to prove specifically?


I agree he is off to a good start... what does he have to prove??? he needs to prove he can win with his own team and his own people.. So far hes won with Bills team.. Bills D coord and bill cowhers star players... Only thing that is different from when Bill was here is the O... Tomlin put BA in place.. in which we got rid of the full back and started throwing on 3rd and inches.

at this point I view Mike no different then Barry Switzer and george Seifort... Again Tomlin is off to a good start and I actually think he is helping to bring in good players.. Wallace, Brown, Woodley, timmons hood....etc... I think he will end up being good over the long haul.. but right now he as won with Cowhers people and to me we will see what kind of coach he really is over the next 5 to 7 years.

As far as talking the talk everyone is getting tired of all the movie quotes and shit hes says but dont back up exmaple"""" Tomlin said we are gonna unleesh HELL! then we got our ass kicked 2 or 3 games in a row...

My favorie quote is " Put it on Tape" I just wished he would practice what he says and quit talking bullshit... Issac Redman come out a few years ago and put it on tape.. kicked ass on tape.. then Tomlin cut him.. thank GOD no one picked him up.. David Johnson puts it on tape every week... the tape shows he sucks but Tomlin keeps him in... CHris Kemo... sucked for two years on tape before we finally benched him... John Scott on tape sucking but Tomlin keeps playing him until BEN almost Dies against the colts and we do something...

Put it on Tape.. Put it on Tape.... ok Mike Watch the damn Tape
60_MINUTES is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts