Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #11
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516
Default Re: Ownership needs to have a word with Colbert Too

Pouncey is not over rated! You can make the pro bowl accidentally but you aren't named an All Pro accidentally or becasue you're over rated. I agree that he did not have as good a 2nd season as his phenom rookie year but to say he is over rated is not smart.

And Gilbert is a LT that was playing RT alot of the year. He never got settled. If we get him settled at LT, slide Colon to RG and drafta RT with our 1st pick, we should be good. Legs looked serviceable at LG. We could go LG in the draft too and be set in in 2 years.
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:21 PM   #12
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,138 Times in 2,641 Posts

i dont believe in the "holes only open for a split second theory".

i see other o-lines open holes that a mack truck can drive through.

i also see alot of teams with crative running plays and blocking schemes. sometimes you will see an entire line in motion (new orleans)..

we run that basig straight ahead antiquated bullshit. our only bread and butter play is power g, and that has been lacking ever since faneca left.

we should not be missing on so many draft picks who end up getting cut. (hills and urbick come to mind).

im disappointed that some of the young players grimm left behind never panned out. chucky okolbi comes to mind.

zeirlein was a disaster. kugler has proven to be able to turn chicken shit into chicken salad, but what we really need is somebody who can turn chicken salad into stud maulers.

i think alot of our woes have to to with coaching and a lame, pedestrian, outdated scheme that has been in place since the mid 90's.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #13
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

I agree on the Pouncey comment too. I think he is good and will continue to get better, but at this point, i dont he deserves the accolades he has gotten.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:16 PM   #14
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

Quote:
Originally Posted by former RB View Post
Pouncey is over rated a player as i have ever seen. I don't know how to evaluate a center, but by any measure, pouncey seems to be lacking. I watched him often. He gets trucked often. His run blocking leaves much to be desired. His shotgun snaps are average.
You can't judge O-line pass protection. Guys like manning, brees and brady drop back and throw on rhythm. Their line and OC looks smart because of it. The O line run blocking suffered because Mendy liked to tip toe between the tackles. The hole only opens for a split second because if you aren't strong enough to drive block, you have to get shoulder leverage for a second and turn the D lineman line a door.

Ben made the line look bad because they can't hold their blocks for 5 seconds consistently. Ben made recievers look bad because thwey ran their routes out, and he still had the ball.
Ben needs to practice looking off a DB and throwing on rhythm. Coaching can only work if the QB puts it into practice.
And that is where i stopped reading...
Old 01-25-2012, 08:24 PM   #15
PhantomJB93
Head Coach

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Yeehaw

Colbert is one of the best GMs in football, no "word" needs to be had. I don't get how anyone can complain about Gilbert, he was a late-second round rookie who came in and did a tremendous job, considering the circumstances, at RT. It's not that he's "bad" at judging OL talent, he just hasn't spent many early picks on the position. The ones he has have been home runs.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:50 PM   #16
6RingsAndCounting
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 21067

Colbert is a damn good GM. As someone earlier said, when you are consistently this good, you're forced to take the best player available, and that player is rarely a linemen.
6RingsAndCounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:42 PM   #17
jiminpa
Starter

Member Number: 20511

How many teams since the salary cap are expected to make the playoffs every year? I'll give you a hint--the other one does it by cheating. Most teams sell out five seasons for two seasons of SB contention, or some just suck every year.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:02 PM   #18
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
Colbert is one of the best GMs in football, no "word" needs to be had. I don't get how anyone can complain about Gilbert, he was a late-second round rookie who came in and did a tremendous job, considering the circumstances, at RT. It's not that he's "bad" at judging OL talent, he just hasn't spent many early picks on the position. The ones he has have been home runs.
Exactly. In the first two rounds he has drafted Marvell Smith, Kendall Simmons, Gilbert and Pouncey. Knocked all three out of the park (Simmons had unfortunate injury issues after a few years, but great otherwise.) In later rounds he stole Starks, Colon, Essex and Kemoeatu, who wasn't always as bad as he is now... he was quite good, actually.

Urbik, it turns out, was another good pick on whom the team gave up so that they could hold onto the mighty Dorian Brooks. As for his other misses, what does it matter if Shipley didn't work out? He was, what, a seventh rounder? Cam Stephenson was a 5th rounder. These things don't always work out.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:12 PM   #19
jiminpa
Starter

Member Number: 20511

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
Exactly. In the first two rounds he has drafted Marvell Smith, Kendall Simmons, Gilbert and Pouncey. Knocked all three out of the park (Simmons had unfortunate injury issues after a few years, but great otherwise.) In later rounds he stole Starks, Colon, Essex and Kemoeatu, who wasn't always as bad as he is now... he was quite good, actually.

Urbik, it turns out, was another good pick on whom the team gave up so that they could hold onto the mighty Dorian Brooks. As for his other misses, what does it matter if Shipley didn't work out? He was, what, a seventh rounder? Cam Stephenson was a 5th rounder. These things don't always work out.
I want to add to the Kendall Simmons injury part, since it's not that he was fragile. He had type 1 diabetes, which is completely hereditary and often quite recessive, so that you may not even know that it is in your gene pool. He was spectacular right up until the onset of his diabetes, which, unfortunately, was just before his second season in the NFL.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #20
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620

Pouncey keeps getting rolled up on by the other sucky linemen around him. If they were better, Pouncey wouldn't be getting hurt so much. They can't block so they get knocked backwards into him.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote