Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 01-25-2012, 08:41 PM   #11
Ronaldo
Water Boy

Member Number: 20808
Default Re: Sean Kugler: No interest in the OC Job

The man implemented the spread offense at Memphis and ran it very well. We have the perfect guys to be running the spread. Quick routes get rid of the ball. Hurry up O. Don't get our QB killed.
Ronaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:10 AM   #12
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

The main problem with Fichtner is that his unit has regressed during his tenure. Charlie Batch has stayed consistent, but Ben peaked in year two (OK, maybe year four) and has dipped a bit if anything since then. Dixon is a complete waste. Leftwich... who knows? Who cares? He's probably gone this year.

I still want to know why not Scottie Montgomery? They can't say he's too young, as that would disqualify Tomlin as well. His troops have definitely answered the call, so...

Judging Kugler based on how this line performs is quite simply not fair. He got his first and second rounders (Pouncey and Gilbert) to perform admirably, and he worked minor miracles with Legursky and Starks. And almost everyone was hurt, so it's just not enough evidence on which to say if he's any good or not.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:36 PM   #13
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
The main problem with Fichtner is that his unit has regressed during his tenure. Charlie Batch has stayed consistent, but Ben peaked in year two (OK, maybe year four) and has dipped a bit if anything since then. Dixon is a complete waste. Leftwich... who knows? Who cares? He's probably gone this year.

I still want to know why not Scottie Montgomery? They can't say he's too young, as that would disqualify Tomlin as well. His troops have definitely answered the call, so...

Judging Kugler based on how this line performs is quite simply not fair. He got his first and second rounders (Pouncey and Gilbert) to perform admirably, and he worked minor miracles with Legursky and Starks. And almost everyone was hurt, so it's just not enough evidence on which to say if he's any good or not.
I agree with you 100 % about Fitchener, but at the same time Jonathan Scott is Kuglers guy...And Gilbert had Tomlin get in his Ass twice this season about his preparedness, going so far as benching him, Also on Kugler....Starks looked better but we're comparing him to Scott remember? And Legursky as much as i like the Dude Seems like he's getting smaller every year as these Dlinemen get bigger and was thrown all over the place by Ayers against Denver...

So hopefully Kugler gets better players next season..but if he does and the results are the same, it's time to start judging...
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:11 PM   #14
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,397 Times in 3,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Bouchette now is on record today they probably will stay in house for the new OC

While the Steelers fired offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, there's no need for them to blow up their entire offensive system. That is why it's most likely that Mike Tomlin will stay within and promote Randy Fichtner and/or Sean Kugler to the post.

Bringing in a new offensive coordinator and a new system makes no sense on a team that basically has had the same offense for 10 years. Bringing in a new offensive coordinator and making him run the Steelers system makes maybe less sense. Neither will work.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...make-some-news
That was Bouchette on Wednesday

This is Bouchette today

This is Mike Tomlin's first big hire, and it will be an intriguing one all the way around. And anyone right now who says they know what he's going to do is merely guessing. I certainly have no idea. I thought he might hire from within but the longer he goes, the less it looks as though that will happen.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...-a-nose-tackle

In other words nobody has a clue who is going to be hired as the new OC
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:47 PM   #15
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
That was Bouchette on Wednesday

This is Bouchette today

This is Mike Tomlin's first big hire, and it will be an intriguing one all the way around. And anyone right now who says they know what he's going to do is merely guessing. I certainly have no idea. I thought he might hire from within but the longer he goes, the less it looks as though that will happen.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...-a-nose-tackle

In other words nobody has a clue who is going to be hired as the new OC
Kaloby at the Trib seemed to have a different take, saying that he couldn't imagine a decision until Monday (whether it was from within or without), after everyone was back from the Senior Bowl and settled in. I think this makes much more sense, since the Senior Bowl is custom-made for coaching networking.

Actually, why not wait until after the Super Bowl?
Old 01-26-2012, 08:15 PM   #16
6RingsAndCounting
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 21067

I really hope they hire somebody completely new
6RingsAndCounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:43 PM   #17
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw

Bringing in someone new could be risky. If he wants to totally change everything, then it could backfire and we could have a sub .500 season on our hands. Other than stupid, predictable playcalling on Arian's part, this offense is actually pretty good. If they can just get Ben off that long bomb mentality, I think hiring Fichtner is probably the best idea. Quick slants, RB screens, using the TE more, don't run it up the middle in the same spot over and over when it isn't working, etc. will fix this offense and make it a power house.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:59 PM   #18
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,370 Times in 4,306 Posts

meanwhile former head coaches (and current CFL HC's) like mark trestman, brad childress, and ray sherman are being called perfect fits for teams with a need. granted most are being mentioned for all the green bay spin off teams, but the point is the ship is sailing and its gonna get to slim pickins.

if i had to guess i'd say the tragedy with kirby wilson was really a punch in the gut and caught the steelers off guard.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:21 AM   #19
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
meanwhile former head coaches (and current CFL HC's) like mark trestman, brad childress, and ray sherman are being called perfect fits for teams with a need. granted most are being mentioned for all the green bay spin off teams, but the point is the ship is sailing and its gonna get to slim pickins.

if i had to guess i'd say the tragedy with kirby wilson was really a punch in the gut and caught the steelers off guard.
I agree

BTW, Trestman and Greg Knapp are the absolute worst exponents of the Bill Walsh west coast offense coaching system
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:58 AM   #20
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,370 Times in 4,306 Posts

lol.... true, true.

word is that brad childress is close to becoming the brownies new HC.

speaking of brownies and worst exponents, butch davis is looking for a job.

i still think we should try to lure brian billick out of the studio.