Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-27-2012, 07:08 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Roethlisberger's words not damning

NFL from the sidelines
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/
After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop. Dale can also be heard as a sometime host on ESPN 970-AM. Follow him on Twitter at dlolleyor.
Friday, January 27, 2012
Roethlisberger's words not damning

Some people will try to make a mountain out of a molehill, which is what is happening with the Steelers jettisoning offensive coordinator Bruce Arians.

But Ben Roethlisberger seems to have put things in proper perspective.

"When I get back, I'm going to go up to Mr. Rooney's office and ask him what he wants from me, what he wants from this offense, because I think that's a viable question for him," Roethlisberger told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review on Thursday following an AFC practice at Hickam Air Force Base. "He's our owner and our boss, so I really would like to know kind of what he wants and where he sees our offense going because I'd like to tell him where I see us going."

Roethlisberger is 100 percent correct, though he didn't identify which Rooney, Dan or Art II, that he was speaking about.

The bottom line is that Dan Rooney has the title of chairman and Art II that of team president. If they were unhappy with the direction of the offense, they were free to express it.

In fact, Art did just that a couple of years ago, saying the team needed to run the ball more effectively.

And you know what, the Steelers made that a point of emphasis in 2010.

But the offense obviously took a step backward in 2011, though the defense's lack of forced turnovers certainly didn't help.

Still, the point is that Art Rooney II or Dan Rooney or whoever made the call for Arians to go - I believe it was Dan - was perfectly within their rights to do so. They are, after all, the guys writing the checks.

And this isn't out of character for the Steelers. Remember, back in 1989, Dan Rooney ordered Chuck Noll to fire linebackers coach Jed Hughes.

If Noll can be ordered to fire an assistant - one that Noll liked - why not Mike Tomlin?
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
former RB
Banned

Member Number: 20530
Default Re: Roethlisberger's words not damning

The job of an OC is to design the plays in the playbook and call plays during the game.
The QB makes or breaks the OC.
If the OC calls XY slant, Z curl in, then the QB calls the play in the huddle. That play would be a 3 step drop and throw by the QB. If the QB doesn't throw the ball, the play breaks down. The O-line expects to hold their block for 2 seconds. The recievers run those routes in 2 seconds and look for the ball.
BUT IF THE QB DOESN'T THROW THE BALL, YOU HAVE CHAOS.
The QB has to scramble, the WR's run fire routes, the line looks for someone to block again. However the plays ends, it isn't by design.

The dumb fan sitting on his couch watching the game and drinking beer says "What the hell was that? The line sucks!" Or "What kind of trash play was that? The play calling sucks!" Or "We need better WR's that can get open".

The fact is, you can't judge an OC or his play design or play calling if you don't know how the play was designed or what play was called.

The problem in Pittsburgh is that Ben doesn't pull the trigger. He needs too much time. He grew up making big plays by buying time, so that is a HABIT that he got into.

Fans don't understand football. Thats the problem with forums like this. thats why people who DO understand football, usually don't appear around here.

Running play calling is determined mostly by watching film. What technique does the D lineman usually play. D line trechnique is numbered for coaching purposes. If a D lineman lines up right in front of the O lineman, its one technique, if the D lineman lines up in the gap, its another technique. If the D lineman lines up onb the right shoulder of an O lineman, or the other shoulder, its yet another technique.

The OC watchs film to see how the D line is lining up and noting down and distance.
He picks the running plays he will call during the game, based on what he sees on film, and if it seems to pan out during the game. The problems arise if the RB doesn't get to the hole during the split second it is open. Or if the D line stunts, or if the LB's run blitz. Its a chess game.

The DC on the other team is watching film and looking for blocking weaknesses on the O line of the other team. Some O linemen have trouble if a Dlineman lines up on one of their shoulders.

OC and DC don't coach up players, the position coachs do.

The best OC in the world can't help Kemoeatu handle a D line stunt on his right shoulder if he just can't handle it as a man and a player. The only thing an OC can do is replace Kemoeatu with another player. But that player might have a weakness. Maybe it is strwentgh and he can't handle a bull rush.

The same thing goes for DB's. a WR might take the entire game to set-up a DB to bite on a deep out so he can beat him for a TD on a wheel route. If the game long set up works just a little bit and the Wr gets the DB off his hip and behind him a half step, and the QB makes a great throw, the DB gets beat.

Forums like this are good for fan discussion, but I find it laughable - and sometimes disgusting- to read some of the posts.

I can read a post and tell you with 99% certainty and accuracy whether or not the poster ever played the game or understands anything about the game. I am positive that 90% of the people who post here don't know the grade school fundamantals of the game. But then, thats why people love guys like Pouncey. Most teams play a 3-4. A center gets more than enough help against a 3-4. But when Pouncey has to play a 4-3 and handle 2 gaps, he gets his lunch taken from him. With most teams playing 3-4, centers get guard help from both guards on almost every play. The nose tackle in a 3-4 isn't even trying to get a pass rush, he just wants to plug 2 gaps in case of a run. Pouncey can't handle a 4-3 defense set. Yet the "fans" vote him for the pro bowl.

And I've found that trying to educate a "fan" about football, only makes them angry. They are stupid and they love it.
former RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #3
steelerjim58
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14701

Further proof that alittle knowledge can be a dangerous thing. Come down off of your high horse.
steelerjim58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
Wallace108

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by former RB View Post
Fans don't understand football. Thats the problem with forums like this. thats why people who DO understand football, usually don't appear around here.
You're here, so that obviously must mean you don't know what the hell you're talking about.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:04 AM   #5
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Yeah, if you go to a restaurant and eat shitty food, don't critique it because you aren't a world renowned chef with a full understanding of how the food is prepared. It could be several factors involved like an uneven cooking pan, low quality ingredients, or a food server who pissed in the mashed potatoes.

Obviously the chef couldn't possibly be held accountable for all of these various possible anomalies and the management should just burn the restaurant to the ground instead.

I don't know how it works on your planet, but on mine, if you're a boss and you have an employee that is not doing the things he's supposed to be doing to help the company be successful and you just make excuses and defend him instead of correcting it or finding someone else, then YOU are going to be the one on the chopping block with your employers.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
Wallace108

Member Number:

Quote:
I can read a post and tell you with 99% certainty and accuracy whether or not the poster ever played the game or understands anything about the game. I am positive that 90% of the people who post here don't know the grade school fundamantals of the game.
And I can tell you with 99% certainty and accuracy whether or not a poster has played only high school football and has an inflated ego and thinks he was good enough to play at the next level. But since he really wasn't all that good, he strokes his own ego by coming to an Internet message board and flexing his muscles because he has slightly more Xs and Os knowledge than the average fan. So tell me former RB, which college would you have played at if you actually had been good enough?
Old 01-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #7
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace108 View Post
And I can tell you with 99% certainty and accuracy whether or not a poster has played only high school football and has an inflated ego and thinks they were good enough to play at the next level. But since they really weren't all that good, they stroke their ego by coming to an Internet message board and flexing their muscles because they have slightly more Xs and Os knowledge than the average fan. So tell me former RB, which college would you have played at if you actually had been good enough?
I would imagine Imsmarterthan U.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:16 AM   #8
Wallace108

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha Bus View Post
I would imagine Imsmarterthan U.

Douchequesne University.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:55 PM   #9
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,264 Times in 561 Posts

Well I'm a Polack, so I try to keep things simple.

If we win, I'm happy and if we lose...not so much.
But I really can't be bothered with all that "X-left, slot 33" crap.
That's their problem.

It's like my computer.

All the binary code in a computer that's supposed to make it work is up to the geeks to figure out.
So when I click on "Steeler Fever Forums" and it pops up right away, I figure that whatever the geeks did, they did it right and I'm happy.

If I click on the forum and it doesn't pop up, I let loose with a few phrases that begin with "Mother" and figure that the geeks have some work to do.

Then I go get something to eat.

With football it's the same thing.

As long as we score at least one more point than the other guys, I'm happy.
If the other guys score one more point than we do, I let loose with a few phrases that begin with "Mother" and figure that the team has some work to do.

Then I go get something to eat.

It's great being a Polack!
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:08 PM   #10
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,453 Times in 2,742 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
The job of an OC is to design the plays in the playbook and call plays during the game.
Call the same telegraphed running play 4 times at the goal line? Yeah no wonder why it was stuffed, that's not on arians?

Calling the same WR screen so much during a game that opponents sniff out before the play even starts = not on arians?

Don't tell me roethlisberger is holding the ball on designed 3 step drops, he's doing a 7-step drop almost 90% of the time, 10% of the other times it's a screen, lol. The OC needs to know what his O-line is capable of, and if they can't give him time, isn't that the OC's job to stop calling those plays? or at least you know, set the defense up for it?

Remember the Titans game? the patriots game? watch it again and tell me if Ben's not able to get rid of the ball quick if the gameplan calls for it.

Arians also said after the super bowl defeat last year, that he didn't take advantage of the woodson injury because he doesn't attack players. I think that right there is Arians telling the whole world he's stupid as hell. When the opponent loses their best player in the secondary, common sense might say you test the backup.

Wasn't arians the one who called this play? he should have been fired on the spot.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote