Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-28-2012, 08:33 AM   #1
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718
Default You tell me.

Tomlin and the Steeler offense come under a lot abuse on this board. From Tomlin can only win with Cowhers team, we have gotten away from the running game, without the defense this team could do nothing. I would like to address the Defense part first.

Defense has been the cornerstone of this Great franchise since the day they drafted Joe Greene. Defense has always been priority number one and it pains me to see a league that has de-emphasized the importance of defense by constantly altering rules that allow the offense more freedom.

Tomlin has been accused of only winning with Cowhers players and that is true, but only to a point. This team has a lot of new and younger players that are his and Colberts players. This team is more Tomlins than Cowher.

Lets do some quick comparisons of the two. Cowher took over a down team and quickly returned them to the playoffs. The first six years of his 15 year tenure yielded six straight playoff berths. By this time Cowher should of had all his player firmly in place. Now what happened the next 9 years, the Steelers made the playoffs 4 more times and won a SuperBowl (after finally getting a franchise QB) but missed the playoffs 5 times. Impressive still is 10-15 making the playoffs. BTW one year Cowhers team made the playoffs with a 9-7 record and it is odd the only year Tomlins team has not made the playoffs was an identical 9-7 record.

As far as scoring Cowhers best year was 1995 when we scored 407 points, we passed for over 4000 yards as a team and had a committee of backs that rushed for 1852 yards. Tomlins best scoring came in 2007 with 393 points the team had only 3400 yards passing but 2168 yards rushing, this did not produce a great season at 10-6 but did make the playoffs only to see us lose the Jags. In comparisons this years team had 4300 yards and 1903 yards rushing.

Historically, other than the 70's team the Steelers have always struggled to score points in droves. We bemoan the lack of scoring from this team when in reality Cowhers team scored less. Just a few of the playoff game scores from Cowhers era. In 1992 lost to Bills 3-24, 1993 lost to KC 24-27 OT, 1994 lost AFC 13-17 SD, 1995 beat Colts 20-16 lost to Dallas 17-27, 1996 NE 3-28, and 1997 Den 21-24.

The league has changed offensively and we need to change or be left behind. Cowhers early years he won with the formula that at that time was the norm, but while it yielded winning teams it failed when playoff time came, one because we did not have an X factor at QB, and second good teams eventually will limit your run game. The other X factor in any game is turnovers, whether it be you make them or cause them.

That is why I think this teams offense needs just a little "tweaking" to become much better, but to be honest the offense is basically doing what it always has.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:41 AM   #2
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206
Default Re: You tell me.

the offense desperately needs new organization and planning, which will take place with a new OC. Thats #1, easily.
Some of the tweaks that need to be done are being able to spread the offense more, utilize TE's into the game plan, and perfect the quick slant passing game.
As far as the defense, it needs tweaked a bit too....we need to be more unpredictable/disruptive, learn how to get to the QB again, and cause turnovers, among some other things.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:24 AM   #3
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,522 Times in 3,347 Posts

As I have posted previously, one reason I believe Tomlin gets more grief than Cowher did for a mediocre offense is that Cowher would fire an OC if he thought there was room for improvement whereas ownership had to force the issue with Arians

Offensive rankings in points scored under Cowher's offensive coordinators and Arians were as follows

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/

Ron Erhardt

1992 - 15
1993 - 13
1994 - 16
1995 - 5

The spike in 1995 was attributed to a shift to more passing and Chan Gailey being more involved in the play calling - when the Jets (who were taking on O'Donnell as QB) requested permission to interview Gailey for OC, - "the Steelers asked Erhardt to retire and, when he didn't, they fired him." (sound familiar?)

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...02/SP12612.DTL

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=6909,3261649

Chan Gailey (who was hired to be teh Cowboys HC)

1996 - 11
1997 - 7

After Gailey left voluntarily Ray Sherman was hired

1998 - 25

By the end of the 1998 season Sherman was such a disaster that Cowher had taken over the play calling and Sherman was fired after one season - Ron Cook's response was that Sherman getting canned added to Cowher's "growing reputation as a madman to work for."

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...pg=5894,181744

Kevin Gilbride

1999 - 17
2000 - 17

Cowher explained Gilbride's termination after two mediocre season as follows:

"I just wasn't comfortable with the direction we were heading in the passing game," Cowher said. "We were 29th in the league in passing when he got here and we were 29th in the league this season.".... We've given it two years to see some progress and I wasn't comfortable with where that was going."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2000/...in259946.shtml
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12020/1204704-66-0.stm

Mike Mularkey (left to become HC with Buffalo)

2001 - 7
2002 - 8
2003 - 19

Ken Whisenhunt (not hired as Steelers HC/hired asArizona HC)

2004 - 11
2005 - 9
2006 - 12

Bruce Arians

2007 - 9
2008 - 20
2009 - 12
2010 - 12
2011 - 21

No way Arians would have lasted 5 seasons under Cowher with that record

Two of the three seasons over the last 20 years in which the Steelers ranked in the 20s with regard to points scored were under Arians

While the offense may only need to be tweaked it obviously needed a new tweaker as OC
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Thanks Dan for that insightful post. Its this kind of Info that I did not consider, changing OC shows he at least tried something but I also know that Cowher liked the pound it out mentality. He was quite successful if he had a lead of 10 or more. Another thought is this did changing OC really help or did it cause setbacks before showing improvements.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:20 AM   #5
pittpete
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5301

Nice post Dan, looks like you did a lot of work on that response.
I tend to agree with what you say.
Maybe Tomlin will get more brazen when he accumulates a little more seniority
Old 01-28-2012, 11:25 AM   #6
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,288 Times in 572 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
No way Arians would have lasted 5 seasons under Cowher with that record

Two of the three seasons over the last 20 years in which the Steelers ranked in the 20s with regard to points scored were under Arians

While the offense may only need to be tweaked it obviously needed a new tweaker as OC

And once again, in the 5 seasons under Arians:

55-25 in the regular season
5-3 in the playoffs
2 trips to the Super Bowl
1 Super Bowl win

Yeah, I guess that pretty much sucks.
FanSince72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:43 AM   #7
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post

5-3 in the playoffs
1 Super Bowl win

Hey I agree. We have no reason to complain but we do. Been pretty good the last few years.

I think the fact that we did not score in relation with what this offense produces as far as yardage and even TOP was Arians downfall. Two years in a row where the offense did not produce points or better yet "wasted" opportunities on the field. As far as Arians personality I cannot attest to it, he may just have rubbed the owner the wrong way, and regardless of what the players say about him (they most seem to like him) a well liked coach can lead to lack of discipline. EX.... penalties and turnovers not to mention numerous mistakes by Ben and his mostly young receivers.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:07 PM   #8
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post

5-3 in the playoffs
1 Super Bowl win

Justin Hartwig with Steelers:

21-11 regular season
3-0 playoffs
1 Super Bowl

Why did we get rid of him for Pouncey?
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:15 PM   #9
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

One thing not being mentoned is the direction the league is heading with the rules. We SHOULD have a top 10 offense. We have an elite QB, 2 good RB's and 4 very good WR's. That's why Arians was fired (although Kevin Colbert deserves some blame for our lack of attention to the Oline in the draft). It's really hard to compare era's because of the rule changes. We sertainly have the talent but haven't produced. Some of that is on the O but alot of that is on the play calling and Arians reluctancy to run the ball (using a FB). I hope we get a good OC...
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:17 PM   #10
Steelerfreak58
Team Captain

Member Number: 8080

If last seasons team would have been anywhere near the top 10 say 10 to 12 for scoring we would be in the Super Bowl. This team went 12-4 with a sputtering offense 21st in scoring bring that down to 10-12 in scoring and the team is easily 15-1 14-2 and seated as the number one seed having everything coming through the Burgh. Losing to Baltimore wouldn't have even been an issue.

Arians had only to adjust to the realities that the O-Line was banged up all season long riddled with injuries and call plays accordingly. He called a great first half against the Patriots a really solid game against Seattle and the Titans. Other then that it was spurts of good fundamental football moving the chains getting the first downs and getting the ball out of BBs hands quickly.

For some reason he would consistently throw a wrench into it all by calling for long bombs and trying to force the long developing pass plays. Teams that could keep us to 3rd and long ate us alive. Look at the 49er game absolutely ZERO adjustments in his play calling when he knew BB was immobile and the 49ers have a tremendously fast pass rush.

He never adjusted and never adapted to the realities at hand. The short passing game when he called it worked ridiculously well mixed with the running game and some PA this team can move down field like any of the other elite offenses.