Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-29-2012, 06:20 AM   #11
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 5,051 Times in 2,140 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Re: Starkey: Steelers president out of bounds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by former RB View Post
Well, ignorant people around here - posing as informed people - like to repeat their spew from thread to thread. They make ignorant comments that have no basis in fact or reality.
And i often see it in all caps.

How can these people blame the O line and the OC when Ben doesn't run the called play? I can't even stand to watch a game at the bar with my friends because the people at the bar cry about the same thing. They bitch and moan and complain about the play calling and the lousy O line pass blocking. - I always have to remind them that if they want to judge, then judge when the called play is actually ran.

Pro QB's drop back, set up, then throw. Ben drops back, sets up, and holds the ball. Or scrambles. No QB gets more than 3 or 4 seconds from the time they get the snap until they throw.
Great Rb's run for 4.0 average. Poor Rb's run for 3.5 average. Bettis averaged about 4.1 over his career. Mendenhall is at less than 4.0. LITTLE THINGS MEAN A LOT IN THE NFL. Note*[RB AVERAGES ARE MY EDUCATED GUESS IN THIS POST]. I may be off by .1 on Bettis.

Talented RB's don't need a great line to run for over 4.0 per attempt. Payton, Simpson, Sanders, Martin, and Bo Jackson are good examples.

Steelers are bad judges of Rb talent. Remember some #1's - Tim Worley, Walter Abercrombie, Rashard Mendenhall.

There is an opportunity for a team to pick up Taiwan Jones from the Raiders because they want some draft picks this year and they have good RB depth.

TAIWAN JONES, WILL PROBABLY LEAD THE LEAGUE IN RUSHING THIS YEAR. And he probably won't play much until McFadden gets hurt for the year - which could happen on any carry. The league ain't seen the likes of Taiwan Jones since the days of Bo Jackson.
Okay. This is the same opinion in which you just shared thirty minutes ago, and that you've shared countless time's beforehand. I've read over your opinion, and I agree with it in some areas, and in other areas I don't. I certainly respect your opinion, as I do everyone's, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with every aspect of it? Nor does any other member.

Now, as for Taiwan Jones, why do you have so much faith in this kid? I remember him from E. Washington, but i'm not familiar with what he's done so far in the NFL to prove himself as a threat as the running back position? I'm going to look up some highlight videos on him now, i'm intrigued.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:35 AM   #12
former RB
Banned

Member Number: 20530

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
Why are so many writers up in arms about Bruce freakin Arians. The guy is and always was a shitty play caller. A blind midget could figure it out after a few games. The bases of an OC is to call plays well. That is the number one job that gets them head coaching jobs. Heck, even when they aren't calling the plays themselves but the plays are good, they get hired. Philbin got a coaching gig from that while McCarthy called all the plays.

Red zone deficiencies, and stubbornness to not adjust during games are the two things I look at. Those ****ing bubble screens all ****ing year. You would think after Suggs snuffed it out, he would have stopped throwing 500 of them a game. And the one that should have sealed the win for Denver that was gift wrapped for the Steelers, that would have been a fitting end to the offense in the Wild Card game.

Steelers offense has to score in the red zone, period. Simple and easy. When you have 3 receivers who are studs, a stud TE and two really good running backs and a QB who can throw lasers, how the hell do you not score TD's inside the 10. It doesn't make sense and now that this has been addressed, Steelers can get someone who's ego isn't up in the air where it doesn't even have the right to be, and the Steelers can start protecting its QB while it scores TDs when they are suppose to.
*Shitty play caller?* How do you know? If Ben scrambles, HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE CALLED PLAY WAS, GENIUS!?

How do you know he wasn't adjusting in-game. If Ben scrambles, the called play is dead!

WR quick screens are QB red light audibles. They are called by the QB when he sees 2 deep safetys and 7 crowding the line in run/pass red dog blitz. He knows he is going to get bum rushed, so he audibles to a quick WR screen, draw, dig, or wham. The wham usually results in the Rb getting tackled for a loss. The dig gets your Wr hurt, so that leaves a draw which they used to try with Fast Willie, and he usually got tackled for a 5 yard loss. So the Wr screen is safe and can be big if the Wr beats one guy. REGARDLESS, IT IS THE QB CALL.

In the red zone, those "LAZERS" actually have to be thrown, if Ben doesn't pull the trigger, then its Bens fault. He can throw it away if no one is open.

You people just don't understand fundamental football. When a QB scrambles, the O line has no idea where he is, the recievers have to improvise, and the play called in the huddle is not going to be ran.

NO OC CAN RUN OUT ON THE FIELD AND MAKE A QB PULL THE TRIGGER.

Listen, if the OC calls a red zone play, say "X fade, Y slant, Z corner", and Ben takes the snap and scrambles, THE BLOCKING BREAKS DOWN, THE RECIEVERS RUN OUT OF ROUTE, AND THE CALLED PLAY IS NOT RAN. In that called play, the QB is supposed to throw the X fade on a 3 step drop, or if the X isn't open, throw the Y slant. If that isn't open, throw the Z corner, or throw it over his head and out the end zone.
BEN SCRAMBLES. IT TURNS IN SCHOOL YARD FOOTBALL.
former RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:50 AM   #13
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by former RB View Post
*Shitty play caller?* How do you know? If Ben scrambles, HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE CALLED PLAY WAS, GENIUS!?

How do you know he wasn't adjusting in-game. If Ben scrambles, the called play is dead!

WR quick screens are QB red light audibles. They are called by the QB when he sees 2 deep safetys and 7 crowding the line in run/pass red dog blitz. He knows he is going to get bum rushed, so he audibles to a quick WR screen, draw, dig, or wham. The wham usually results in the Rb getting tackled for a loss. The dig gets your Wr hurt, so that leaves a draw which they used to try with Fast Willie, and he usually got tackled for a 5 yard loss. So the Wr screen is safe and can be big if the Wr beats one guy. REGARDLESS, IT IS THE QB CALL.

In the red zone, those "LAZERS" actually have to be thrown, if Ben doesn't pull the trigger, then its Bens fault. He can throw it away if no one is open.

You people just don't understand fundamental football. When a QB scrambles, the O line has no idea where he is, the recievers have to improvise, and the play called in the huddle is not going to be ran.

NO OC CAN RUN OUT ON THE FIELD AND MAKE A QB PULL THE TRIGGER.

Listen, if the OC calls a red zone play, say "X fade, Y slant, Z corner", and Ben takes the snap and scrambles, THE BLOCKING BREAKS DOWN, THE RECIEVERS RUN OUT OF ROUTE, AND THE CALLED PLAY IS NOT RAN. In that called play, the QB is supposed to throw the X fade on a 3 step drop, or if the X isn't open, throw the Y slant. If that isn't open, throw the Z corner, or throw it over his head and out the end zone.
BEN SCRAMBLES. IT TURNS IN SCHOOL YARD FOOTBALL.
As i've heard.

Let's pretend that Arians doesn't go up to Ben on every play and say "Do your thing", or "do what you can to make a play". That's what any good coach would do, right? Encourage his player to make things happen??? I'm a quarterback, I know what a good coach would say!!!

Ben's style of play is what has won us so many games, and certainly helped us win two lombardi's since 2005. Arians play calling hasn't been great, and I think him leaving was good thing for us. We needed a fresh start. Although I don't think this offense's decline has been entirely on him, I think considering he's the offensive coordinator, most of that has to land on his shoulders, regardless on Ben's play.

I'm hoping to see that passion and intensity next year. It's something we've lacked outside of our Super Bowl appearances, and I think we'll need that intensity and will to win if we're going to make it far next year, and I certainly think we can.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:56 AM   #14
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Listen. We're probably not going to agree on everything, and I really don't expect that out of anyone. But what I think we can all agree on is that this team won't get anywhere without a little passion and intensity next year, regardless of changed made. Ultimately, it's the players on the field that need to execute, and when they don't, it's the coaches that are held responsible. Unless of course it's a off-field issue, in which the players usually pay the price.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:42 AM   #15
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

I wouldnt say Mendy is a HOF type runner but he is also not an Abercrombie or Worley.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:05 AM   #16
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

I will say this..

You have a $102 million dollar QB........then you leave him completely unprotected back there with an OL that can't block for s***, The guy's back there trying not to get killed. I've been amazed over and over and over again just how FAST opposing defenses mow through our line and are on Ben in 2 seconds............................... at times with only 3 guys up at the line in prevent situations....they're still on him. That seriously needs fixed. That part i agree with, no question.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #17
Boomer
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 19165

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
I will say this..

You have a $102 million dollar QB........then you leave him completely unprotected back there with an OL that can't block for s***, The guy's back there trying not to get killed. I've been amazed over and over and over again just how FAST opposing defenses mow through our line and are on Ben in 2 seconds............................... at times with only 3 guys up at the line in prevent situations....they're still on him. That seriously needs fixed. That part i agree with, no question.
Exactly. You can say it was play calling when you know your line can only block for a few seconds and you call a play that takes 7 or 8 seconds to develop. Then your QB HAS to scramble for his life.

former RB, you're not going to get anywhere with people on the board by constantly telling folks their opinions suck. I don't know why it's too hard for you to just say "Here's what I think" and lay out your thoughts without always having to tell us all how stupid we are. Sounds like you are compensating for something but that's my opinion. See how that works? Anyways, I'd suggest that if you get to a thread and feel the urge to start blasting at fellow Steelers fans before chiming in, then just skip the thread. But it would be a much better discussion if you could do your thing of playing devil's advocate without bashing folks here in the process.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:02 AM   #18
6RingsAndCounting
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 21067

Why can't the media just accept that Arians is gone, oh wait, we're the Steelers, they have to try everything to stir up controversy.
6RingsAndCounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:49 AM   #19
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,247 Times in 1,806 Posts

Quote:
Roethlisberger knows how to play the pocket rhythm game. Check the New England tape from Oct. 30.
ok i checked the NE game tape. what i seen was a well thought out gameplan. a game plan that called for short drops and quick throws and was very successful. the same game plan that fans have wondered for years why its NEVER used to help protect the QB from a crappy oline. what happened to it after that game ?

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:57 AM   #20
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,509 Times in 3,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
ok i checked the NE game tape. what i seen was a well thought out gameplan. a game plan that called for short drops and quick throws and was very successful. the same game plan that fans have wondered for years why its NEVER used to help protect the QB from a crappy oline. what happened to it after that game ?
That plan also had been used successfully in the Tennessee game after Ben had been beaten up in Houston

Since it had been successful in weeks 5 and 8 Arians abandoned that plan since he was afraid other teams would start preparing for that plan - Arians preferred to mainatin the element of surprise
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote