Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 05-10-2006, 09:05 AM   #1
DIESELMAN
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1031
Default Jack Lambert Interview.....Part 2.

Hall of Fame middle linebacker Jack Lambert lives on his 125-acre ranch in Worthington, about 20 miles north of Pittsburgh, with his wife Lisa and four children. The retired Lambert is as busy as any parent with active teens, but had time to grant a rare interview. Some of the dialogue was held out for use in the book ?Men of Steel,? which will be released in August.

JACK LAMBERT, PART II
Steel City Insider: What stands out the most from your days with the Pittsburgh Steelers?

Jack Lambert: What stands out the most? Shit, can you narrow it down some?

SCI: Well, which year was your favorite?

JL: That?s hard to say. The year that stands out the most for me was ?76 because it was without question the best football team we ever had and we didn?t go to the Super Bowl. There were a lot of people that year picking Baltimore with Bert Jones, Lydell Mitchell and those guys. They had a pretty good team but we went up there and just crushed them. I mean, we crushed them. But as you well know we lost Rocky and Franco. Then we went out to Oakland without Rocky and Franco and we were dead in the water.

I was just talking to a guy who came out yesterday to dig the grave for my dog, and he asked me what I thought about the Super Bowl. He asked if I thought they could do it again next year and I said it?s awful tough to repeat. It?s really tough because you?re only an injury or two away from not making it. I told him about the ?76 team, which was without question the best team we ever had, but we lost a couple guys and that was the end. That?ll piss John Madden off because he thinks he had the best team that year, but without question we were a great team. It just goes to show you you never know what?s going to happen. Look at the Steelers this year. It?s a crazy game. That?s why it?s so much fun to watch.

SCI: In ?79, your O-line was decimated and you overcame that. A lot of teams wouldn?t have.

JL: Well I had to laugh. A lot of people were saying how ugly the Steelers won this Super Bowl, and it was ugly. There?s no question about it. But they ought to pull out the films from ?79 when we played the Rams. Terry Bradshaw was the MVP of that game and I think he threw three interceptions. He probably could?ve thrown two more but they dropped them. I mean it was an ugly game. They moved the ball on us, on our defense, up and down the field. It was an ugly game but we won and nobody really cares now if it was ugly or not. We won it, and that?s all that matters with these guys. They?re Super Bowl champs and God bless them. I think it?s great. It?s wonderful.

SCI: This team played its big game against the Colts.

JL: Oh, without question.

SCI: You guys probably had a game like that, didn?t you?

JL: You know, for me, after the Raiders there were no playoff games. Those games were honest-to-God kick-ass playoff games. And after that the rest of them were something else.

SCI: What made those games?

JL: We had two teams that were very similar: a bunch of nasty, nasty football players. It was a war. It was a war when we played them. Those are still my most favorite games. Unfortunately they were the first three years of my career, but still the most favorite games I ever played in were against the Raiders. We were so similar in people: a bunch of nasty guys that liked to play. And the great thing about it ? and I?m not saying all of them ? but after the game Stabler would come into the locker room and we?d have a couple beers together. We hated each other on the field, but after it was over we?d say whoever wins wins. It?s good stuff, not like it is today with all the yipping and yapping and stuff that goes on. You?d just shake hands and have a beer. That?s what it was about.

SCI: Now they come in and out with their briefcases and entourages.

JL: I wouldn?t know. I haven?t been to a game since the last game at Three Rivers Stadium against the Redskins.

SCI: You seemed to be having a good time down in that bar afterwards.

JL: Oh, yeah, it was as great time. I hadn?t seen a lot of those guys for a long time and it was great to see them. It was fun.

SCI: So if Oakland was all that, how would you describe the games against Dallas? Didn?t you guys really hate each other?

JL: Yeah. Dallas was a fun team to beat because they seemed to have the impression they were better than everybody else, and I enjoyed beating them but I didn?t have that rivalry feeling that I had with the Raiders, or even the Cleveland Browns. They were just some team that we wanted to beat. They had great athletes and we had some great games. They were America?s team. But, God, we did have some great games against them. They were exciting Super Bowls to watch.

SCI: Do you miss it?

JL: The first year was terrible. It was the worst. I watched every game ? every second of every game. The tough thing is I played football for 20 consecutive years and all of the sudden it was over. In a split second it?s over, so that first year was really tough. I did a little bit of television, but you can?t talk about them. You?d like to be a little bit critical, or say some things you really think, but you can?t do it because those guys are still your teammates. You?re only a couple months removed. It was not for me anyway. It was just something to do. But as each year goes by, it got a little bit easier. I don?t watch a lot of football. I watch a lot of hockey, but I don?t watch a lot of football, but I do watch the playoffs because I enjoy playoff football. I think it?s the best football that?s played, so I enjoy it.

SCI: But you have to enjoy coaching your kids, don?t you?

JL: Oh, I do. I enjoy it and I enjoy watching them play. I try and stay in the background. I don?t want to in any way, shape or form take any kind of thunder away from them. Everything my kids have accomplished thus far they?ve done on their own, and I try and stay in the background as much as I can. I?m not yipping and yapping at coaches or anything ? not that I agree with everything they do. I was never a son or daughter of a Hall of Famer, so I just try and stay out of the way for these guys and let them do their thing. Everything they?ve accomplished they?ve accomplished on their own and I?m proud of them for that. They?ve got great grades and they?re doing well in sports and they?re good kids. Their teachers seem to like them; the kids seem to like them. I think they?re good kids and I?m proud of them.

SCI: Okay, Jack, I?m done. This is great.

JL: Geez, I thought maybe you were going to get into some deep shit with me, but you?re not going to do it (laughs heartily).

SCI: I don?t know. That?s as deep as I ever went.

JL: Wow. That?s some deep stuff there.

SCI: Hey, thanks a lot.

JL: I?m glad I could help you out. Once again I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. It?s been a rough week for us.

By: Jim Wexell
SteelCityInsider.com
Date: May 10, 2006

BOW DOWN TO THE BLACK AND GOLD!!!!!
DIESELMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:12 AM   #2
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591
Default Re: Jack Lambert Interview.....Part 2.

Excellent.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:40 AM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,844 Times in 2,098 Posts

looks like "men of steel" will be a must read
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:46 AM   #4
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

I'm still laughing at the fact that he stated he could have played ice hockey. From what I gathered he's a huge ice hockey fan. Imagine Jack Lambert playing ice hockey? lol. Leading the league in penalty minutes and game suspensions. Probert, McSorley would have been considered puppies.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:20 AM   #5
coachspeak33
Banned

Member Number: 2231

a true throwback........... one of the few who could have excelled during any era of football
coachspeak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:42 AM   #6
Lyn
Banned

Member Number: 304

He actually seemed disappointed the interview was over LOL
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:54 AM   #7
HburgXL06
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1504

That was great. Rep points to you Dieselman. If he would've been a hockey player he would have definately put a lot of people in the hospital no doubt. He seems like a great guy and I can imagine he was such an imposing force on the field. "Who am I covering?" "Jack Lambert" "Who?" "Number 58, the guy with missing teeth, snarlin, lookin 7 feet tall, and foamin at the mouth." "Oh....shit"

BuFu

"Who said they was all tough? They ain't so tough! Smashmouth football baby! Pittsburgh style!" -Jerome Bettis #36 the BUS in 21-9 victory over Chicago Bears in 2005
HburgXL06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:44 PM   #8
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Awesome read, he always hated those raiders! LOL
Old 05-10-2006, 10:12 PM   #9
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419
Talking Re: Jack Lambert Interview.....Part 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
I'm still laughing at the fact that he stated he could have played ice hockey. From what I gathered he's a huge ice hockey fan. Imagine Jack Lambert playing ice hockey? lol. Leading the league in penalty minutes and game suspensions. Probert, McSorley would have been considered puppies.

He would also clean Tye Domis clock! Good read.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:37 PM   #10
WWIIOwheelz
Team Captain

Member Number: 1323

I copied most of that article & sent it to my buddy, a huge Raiders fan. He loved it, said he remembered that rivalry the same way. It's no mistake we're friends, him a Raiders fan, me a Steelers fan. That's as old school as it gets, with regard to smashmouth football.
WWIIOwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote