Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-09-2012, 04:05 PM   #41
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897
Default Re: Mike Wallace for another #1 pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
Yet no rep point's?
Haha...didn't even notice those buttons. Fixt!
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:12 PM   #42
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 5,048 Times in 2,137 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstorm05 View Post
Haha...didn't even notice those buttons. Fixt!
Just a weapon us egotistical morons sport like a Rolex

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #43
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
Nate Washington sure is performing well for a shoulda-coulda-woulda player.

74 catches for 1,023 yards and 7 touchdown's. That's just barely below Mike Wallace in every statistic! Certainly not bad considering Wallace said he'd catch 2,000 yard's worth of catches this year (never been done).

Hines ran the over the middle routes, and Santonio fed off of him, running just a bit further. Nate Washington was our deep-threat at the time.

Regardless, this team won't be nearly as good in the receiving game without Wallace. That's obvious. But i'm not impressed with his mouth, attitude or his ego, all of which have been troubles with him since gaining recognition as a big play receiver. He's a great WR, and i'd hate to lose him. I never said I wanted him gone, i'm just imagining the scenario if he does indeed leave town for a first round pick.
And how well did that work out? He was OK... He was not worth the sweat on Wallace's brow...
Old 02-09-2012, 05:27 PM   #44
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDSteel15 View Post
And how well did that work out? He was OK... He was not worth the sweat on Wallace's brow...
Wallace may be a deep-threat, but that doesn't make a receiver. Him getting deep has been the basis of your entire argument. The point is, regardless of who's the better deep threat, Nate Washington, a receiver who, in your own word's: "doesn't even compare" damn near outplayed him this season.

You can say that he free's up Brown with the attention on him, but that's the same with any receiver. The fact of the matter is: He's one dimensional right now. But during the course of an off season, you'd be surprised how much one player can improve, and that's why I want him back next year. But #1 receiver? Maybe. I'd say it's up in the air.

I like Wallace, and i agree we need to get him back. But I don't disagree with trading him, because it's a possibility right now. Hell, some people think it's a likelihood...

My vote: Sign Wallace to a short-term deal. If he denies, tender him.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:27 PM   #45
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,242 Times in 1,803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
Holmes got traded because of his off-field issue. I don't see the Steelers trading their No.1 reciever again, especially after Rooney said he's his first priority. And for people who think Wallace and Ben don't connect, it's hard for Ben to throw an accurate bomb to Wallace when he was playing with one leg only. When Ben is healthy, they connect pretty well.
wallace started disappearing weeks before bens injury. about the same time brown started coming on strong.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:42 PM   #46
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
Thanked 1,119 Times in 536 Posts
My Mood: Drunk

Personally I don't want to see Wallace go, especially with Haley coming in which could really take him to that next level. But the prospect of getting both DeCastro and Burfict/Poe (If Wallace went to the Eagles) is VERY appealing.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:44 PM   #47
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
Personally I don't want to see Wallace go, especially with Haley coming in which could really take him to that next level. But the prospect of getting both DeCastro and Burfict/Poe (If Wallace went to the Eagles) is VERY appealing.
Exactly. That's all i've been trying to point out, but godforbid, ya know, lol.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:59 PM   #48
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,242 Times in 1,803 Posts

crap. i didn't know they changed the RFA rules.

Quote:
Despite being a restricted free agent, Mike Wallace is nowhere near guaranteed to return to Pittsburgh as a Steelers player next year. One alteration to free agency made by the relatively new Collective Bargaining Agreement is that teams can no longer put first- and third-round protections on their restricted free agents.
In the past, restricted free agency rarely ever allowed players to leave their original teams. The last big name to move as a restricted free agency was Wes Welker and even then the Miami Dolphins and Patriots agreed to a trade rather than go through the bidding process. Therefore he essentially didn't move as a restricted free agent.
The Dolphins undervalued Welker at the time as he hadn't played to the level that he has exhibited in New England since then. Mike Wallace in Pittsburgh is a completely different situation.
On first glance, it is more likely for Bill Belichick to start a reality TV series with Chad Ochocinco opposed to the team signing Wallace. However, when you dig deeper into the potential deal, it wouldn't be a surprise for Wallace to become the best deep threat in Boston since Randy Moss.
The Steelers at best can put a first-round tender on Wallace, which is what you would expect them to do. They do have the franchise tag available; however, their lack of cap space will prevent them from using it. With indications being that the Steelers are expected to be upwards of $20 million over the salary cap next season, it's unrealistic to expect them to work in a commitment of around $10 million for Wallace.
If the Patriots do decide to compete with the Steelers for Wallace's signature, they could easily outbid the Steelers early on. A restricted free agent's original team has 10 days to match any offer sheets that come in. If the Patriots get an early offer in, it could make Omar Khan's, the Steelers' cap manager, job very difficult while trying to manage a roster that needs a lot of work.
With the compensation being a first round pick, the Patriots would only be giving up their 31st overall selection in the 2012 draft for arguably an elite wide receiver. Considering that late round picks are no guarantees, and the team has an earlier first-round draft choice after last year's trade with the New Orleans Saints, losing that pick isn't a big deal.
More importantly than Wallace being considered an elite receiver, his skill set is perfect for the Patriots' offense.
Building an offense is never as simple as getting the best talent and putting it together to overwhelm other teams. In 2007, Tom Brady's best season, the Patriots' receiving corp perfectly complemented each other with Randy Moss and Donte Stallworth stretching the field for Wes Welker to move the chains.
Without a deep threat, it is easier for teams to shorten the field and flood Welker out of the equation. When safeties don't have to respect a deep threat, throwing windows become tighter and defenders are more likely to pick off passes.
If Wallace becomes a Patriots player, defenses will have to respect his deep threat or allow him to hit home runs on a regular basis. Wallace is one of the fastest—if not the fastest—players in the NFL. Simply dropping a cornerback to play off coverage is never enough to contain him.
Some cornerbacks drop upwards of 12 yards deep and even then they generally get safety help over the top. Considering that Wallace can use his speed with the ball in his hands, that gives the Patriots the option of quick passes into the flat that can turn into massive gains.
Or, if they choose to still send Wallace deep, then the best slot receiver in the NFL gets even more space to work underneath the defense.
With Wallace on the outside, the Patriots' matchup offense would become uncontainable. The quartet of Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Welker and Wallace would ask too many different questions of defenses and require them to be consistent in all facets of play.
The Steelers' cap issues aren't the only thing working in the Patriots favor.
Outside of Wallace in Pittsburgh, the Steelers have a trio of talented receivers under contract entering next season, as well as Jerricho Cotchery hitting free agency. Veteran Hines Ward is looking to redo his contract and he will almost certainly return. Emmanuel Sanders is returning from injuries to both his feet that reduced his role this year. The Steelers have enough players with Antonio Brown to cover the loss of their main receiver.
The free agent pool of receivers this year for third and fourth choice options represents a lot of value as far as possession pass-catchers go. While the Patriots do need an elite receiver, the Steelers could still have a very talented group of receivers for Todd Haley without Wallace, and instead add someone like Eddie Royal or Cotchery for cheaper.
This would work against the Steelers when trying to retain Wallace because they wouldn't value him as highly as the Patriots would.
Wes Welker is very unlikely to leave the Patriots because he doesn't fit as well in any other offense in the NFL. Once he is signed, Mike Wallace is a legitimate option for the New England Patriots to pursue.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...alistic-target

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #49
jollyrob68
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15873

I'm all for someone giving up a 1st rounder for Wallace. However I'd also want a top 20 pick but they'd get a late pick from San Fran,New England or Giants. I wouldn't be Surprised if Cincy went after him as they have two first rounders.
My question to everyone is, IF New England called and said they were going to sign him but wanted to do a sign & trade.Would you pick there #31st pick or they offered two 2nd rounders 48 &63 what would you take?
Looking at our cap situation I think I'd take the two second rounders. We'd have three(3) in the 2nd round and we could reload with OL,DL,ILB & Isaiah Peads or 2 OL,ILB,SS. It allows us to take the BPA in round 1 and reload in rb 2.
jollyrob68 is offline   Reply With Quote