Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 02-12-2012, 08:13 AM   #1
SteelerinSevern
Water Boy

Member Number: 23504
Default My Steelers Draft Day Predictions 2012

okay so, we all have our own personal opinions about who we should target and what we should do on both sides of the ball. this is my first steelers mock nfl draft. so i'll take all critcisms and suggestions good and bad. thanks for reading!

Round 1: Cordy Glenn, Georgia G
Reason: Chris Kemoeatu is awful. I mean we have all sat here and watched him get destroyed week after week. he holds almost every play and at one point he was benched. Cordy Glenn would have to really fall pass a few needy teams. It would help with protection and fill the first need at the LG position.

Round 2: Kelechi Osemele, Iowa State G
Reason: Now you guys think I'm crazy taking back to back guards. My reason for the guard in the second round is that our RG position has been a revolving door from hell for the past 3 to 4 seasons. Hopefully, these 2 young guards can help Pouncey open up the middle of the field for some runs. Also, help pass protect so we dont see our QB get killed in 2.3 seconds every play. For the next few years our line should be Gilbert, Glenn, Pouncey, Osemele, and Colon.

Round 3: Tank Carder, TCU ILB
Reason: Farrior isnt getting any younger at all. Foote is great in relief. Haven't heard much about Sylvester except of special teams. I honestly think the team will part ways with either Foote or Farrior this offseason. They can bring in this young guy and groom him/ coach em up. We all know that NO LINEBACKERS have started for the Steelers in the first year. Lets see what this guys got.

Round 4: Chris Rainey, Florida RB/KR/PR
Reason: I'm gonna wait for all the hatred of this pick. I think I have good reasoning just bear with me. Mendenhalls knee is jacked up. He won't be ready for the start of the season. Mewelde Moore will not be back. That leaves us with Redman, Dwyer, Clay, and Batch. I like Redman as a starter and Dwyer as well. Clay had one play, which was a big touchdown. Alot more needs to be seen out of him. And we were extremely excited about Batch until he tore his knee up. Rainey has speed and elusiveness ANDDDD can return kicks and punts. We don't wanna risk getting Brown hurt on returns now that hes a main reciever for us right?

Round 5: Mychal Kendricks CAL, OLB
Reason: Harrison is getting no younger. Worilds has yet to prove anything to me. I like this guys style. Has great moves. I watched him on video and was highly impressed. Potential succesor to Harrison maybe??

Round 6: Lucas Nix Pittsburgh, OT
Reason: I hate Johnathan Scott. I mean... we saw what he did every game right? Nix would be a project player. Practice squad type of guy. Back up. Who knows? But were really thin at the OT position. Pick is strictly for depth.

Round 7: Bruce Figgins Georgia FB
Reason. David Johnson is not cutting it in my opinion. He drops easy passes and lacks the nastiness I like out of a fullback. We rarely used a FB under BA. I have no idea what Haley intends to do. Besides, theres nothing wrong with a little competition right?? He has great size and could possibly open some holes and help protect Big Ben.

okay so thats my first mock nfl draft. i'm open to all criticisms and suggestions. this is just what i would attempt to do if i were in charge. We all know this may not happen like this. what do you guys think??
SteelerinSevern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:02 PM   #2
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118
Default Re: My Steelers Draft Day Predictions 2012

You do address needs on this team, and every pick would help but this is a great draft year for Nose Tackles and it would be a shame not to snag one. A Good quality one can be had even as late as the 3rd or 4th round.

Osmele could play right tackle in the NFL as well as Guard. Like him a lot.

Something tells me that Todd Haley as have the Steelers the past several years will want to try and find a tall receiver this year as well. Our best bet for a quality tall WR would have to be no later then the 3rd -4th round.

Would hold off on the RB in the 4th as we have so many other needs but could draft one with supplemental picks in the 7th round though. (probably not as good as Rainey of course)

Tank Carder on youtube anyway looks kind of slow and tentative.

especially compared to Carmen Messina

The 7th is a good round to get a Fullback. Figgins though is more like a big tight end playinig H-back like Arians use to love. He is a mammoth man no doubt at 273 pounds and 6' 3" but lets get a real Fullback who can run short yardage and has great hands out of the backfield to catch the ball. Seems like a very good draft year for true fullbacks as well so lets take advantage of it.

So finding a NT, OG, WR, and even a ILB will be a challenge for the Steelers in this year's draft, but it can be done and could set them up nicely for the future.

Last edited by Kingmagyar; 02-12-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:20 PM   #3
SteelerinSevern
Water Boy

i do agree with everything you said. it can go multiple ways. one reason why i didnt snag a NT in the draft is i have a feeling that they "may" try to stick ziggy hood in that spot if he bulks up a little bit. keep heyward on one said and keisel on the other. i like the idea of a tall wide out. it would help. but i kept into consideration of the possiblity of keeping ward and the top 3 recievers we do have. so it can go multiple ways. just saying this is what i would possibly do if i were in charge. i do like your ideas as well.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
SteelerinSevern
Water Boy

and messina does look damn good.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
ItalianSteelersFan178443
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 20776

I like the 1st Rd pick because after seeing about 1,000 mocks so far about 70% have us taking Glenn; he is so versatile and very coachable. He is a beast when he plays OG and that showed in the Senior Bowl, good 1st Rd pick. I like Osemele, but taking 2 OG back to back is definitely unlikely of the Steelers, they would have to let go of Foster or Legursky if they do take Osemele and the Steelers love both of these guys because they are cheap and can play multiple positions. But if they take Osemele our line will be an elite line and with Haley running the offense we may easily crack the Top 10 offenses for years to come. Tank Carder is a great LB and even in my mock I have us taking him, but I have us taking him in the 5th, cause he is still so raw and has many flaws. But if he shows up at the Combine and has a good Pro Day he may jump into the late 3rd-Late4th. I hate the Chris Rainey pick, RB is not a position they will attack through the draft and it isn't even a need. Mendenhall will be back next season and we will still have Redman; plus Baron Batch who looked like he was going to be the 3rd Down RB last season is going to be healthy and much more stronger. I like Kendricks a lot because he hustles on every play and can tackle anything, He has some developing left to do, but if he goes to Pittsburgh he will easily become a great LB. Lucas Nix is also a great OT, he would come cheap and we could stash him on the PS for a couple of seasons before putting him on the active roster. Also hate the 7th Rd pick, they will definitely not take a FB this year. Overall good draft, but there were no NT's and with Hampton's future still in question we definitely need one. Even if Hood or Heyward move over to NT we will still need DL help.
ItalianSteelersFan178443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #6
SteelerinSevern
Water Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianSteelersFan178443 View Post
I like the 1st Rd pick because after seeing about 1,000 mocks so far about 70% have us taking Glenn; he is so versatile and very coachable. He is a beast when he plays OG and that showed in the Senior Bowl, good 1st Rd pick. I like Osemele, but taking 2 OG back to back is definitely unlikely of the Steelers, they would have to let go of Foster or Legursky if they do take Osemele and the Steelers love both of these guys because they are cheap and can play multiple positions. But if they take Osemele our line will be an elite line and with Haley running the offense we may easily crack the Top 10 offenses for years to come. Tank Carder is a great LB and even in my mock I have us taking him, but I have us taking him in the 5th, cause he is still so raw and has many flaws. But if he shows up at the Combine and has a good Pro Day he may jump into the late 3rd-Late4th. I hate the Chris Rainey pick, RB is not a position they will attack through the draft and it isn't even a need. Mendenhall will be back next season and we will still have Redman; plus Baron Batch who looked like he was going to be the 3rd Down RB last season is going to be healthy and much more stronger. I like Kendricks a lot because he hustles on every play and can tackle anything, He has some developing left to do, but if he goes to Pittsburgh he will easily become a great LB. Lucas Nix is also a great OT, he would come cheap and we could stash him on the PS for a couple of seasons before putting him on the active roster. Also hate the 7th Rd pick, they will definitely not take a FB this year. Overall good draft, but there were no NT's and with Hampton's future still in question we definitely need one. Even if Hood or Heyward move over to NT we will still need DL help.
i agree with adding a nt thru the draft regardless of what type of position changes may occur. back to back guards? yeah i questioned myself on that, but a man can dream. lol. the fb thing as well. i agree we should look for one. but mainly one can be nabbed if FA. like i said... this is my first mock ever lol. im just getting my feet wet around here hahaha :Tt02:
Old 02-12-2012, 03:19 PM   #7
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

Mychal Kendricks sure looks like he would make a hell of an inside linebacker. Often 4-3 outside linebackers are converted to the inside when playing the 3-4 like Timmons was. Usually 3-4 OLBs are DEs in college like Worilds or Chris Carter were.

Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

I like the idea of going guard/guard, and not worrying about the line again for half a decade. I wouldn't completely discount the possibility of the Steelers trading up a few spots if David DeCastro drops in the least. I still want to see all of these guys in the Combine and on their Pro Days before we speculate too much more.