Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-14-2012, 09:45 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default With the 24th Selection in the 2012 NFL Draft...The Steelers Trade Up

With the 24th Selection in the 2012 NFL Draft...The Steelers Trade Up
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...e-up-scenarios
by Neal Coolong on Feb 14, 2012 8:44 AM EST

You don't need to be Jimmy Johnson, dangling Herschel Walker in front of a naive Vikings organization to enact the concept of duplicity in the 2012 NFL Draft.

You simply need to be in the right spot, just as someone else's right player becomes available. By handing in a few extra picks, a team can move up to grab a player they feel they need moreso than the other players available.

It could go up, and it could go down. The "up" this year, as far as Pittsburgh is concerned, centers around Stanford offensive guard David DeCastro. The question isn't the talent or the need, it's the price.

A smart and mobile guard, DeCastro would start from Day 1, filling arguably the Steelers' biggest position of need. The question in regards to trading up isn't usually about the talent of the player a team would draft, but rather, what they'll need to give up to get him.

In the Steelers' case for DeCastro, he may simply be out of reach. It's a strong team, top to bottom, but there are some obvious holes, ones that need to get plugged quickly. While a good portion of SteelerNation suggests the need to draft 2012 starters in the top three rounds of the draft, such skill and efficiency in personnel evaluation is extremely difficult to obtain. A team starting three rookies drafted in the first three rounds is typically not coming off a 12-4 season, but rather, heading toward a 6-10 season.

Using that logic, if DeCastro is truly a second coming of Steve Hutchinson, locking up that kind of player can be worth a few less picks in this draft.

The problem is, the Steelers aren't the only ones likely to see DeCastro as a very positive addition to their team. There isn't a franchise that wouldn't benefit from the addition of the 6-foot-4, light-footed and highly intelligent interior offensive lineman. Because of that, DeCastro could become to become the highest drafted guard since Chris Naeoli went 10th overall to New Orleans in 1997.

Taking a guard between picks 15-19 has been sort of en vogue the last four years. In 2008, the Chiefs took Branden Albert No. 15 overall (he was a guard at the University of Virginia but has played left tackle for the Chiefs). Mike Iupati went 17th overall to San Francisco in 2010 and Miami selected Mike Pouncey (plays center for the Dolphins) 15th overall in 2011.

It's hard to see Kansas City passing on DeCastro at 11 or 12. The Chiefs and Seattle are subject to a coin flip at the Combine Feb. 22 for the rights to the 11th pick.

Going off Jimmy Johnson's Trade Chart (the concept, if not the exact numbers, are what teams use to weigh trading decisions) suggests jumping ahead to No. 12 from No. 24 would cost the Steelers their first, second and fourth round picks in this year's draft. It would probably have to be a first, second and third to move to the 11th spot.

Or, a bit more than the Steelers gave up to leap from 27 to 16 (first, third and sixth) to draft USC SS Troy Polamalu in 2003.

Incidentally, that trade was with Kansas City.

It may just simply be that DeCastro is out of reach. However, Kansas City has other needs (tackle), but DeCastro is a better prospect than any tackle who is likely to still be on the board at 11.

Considering no guard has gone as high as 11 in quite some time, it's possible he may fall, and the Steelers should consider trading up if it doesn't mean mortgaging this draft for his services.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:30 AM   #2
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369
Default Re: With the 24th Selection in the 2012 NFL Draft...The Steelers Trade Up

If he drops to the Cowboys or Philly, we should consider it, because he won't make it past the Jets or Cincy.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:36 PM   #3
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118
Default Re: With the 24th Selection in the 2012 NFL Draft...The Steelers Trade Up

Trading up to 15th would be costly. I'd do it for a 3 and 6 but it may be a 2nd round pick which would spoil us getting a 2nd really good player to help on the lines. If he gets by the Jets and Cincy somehow then a trade would be more doable with Chicago or San Diego at 18 or 19.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:11 PM   #4
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,581 Times in 1,615 Posts
My Mood: Tired

When's the last time we traded up?

I just don't see it happening.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #5
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

We traded up for both Troy and Heath. I'd say both paid off nicely.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:41 PM   #6
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,581 Times in 1,615 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post

I remembered we traded up for Troy, but didn't know we did the same with heath. Didn't watch that draft.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:45 PM   #7
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,004 Times in 2,567 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

wouldn't be against it if we can snag decastro. we do have pressing needs at multiple positions though. because of that, i don't see trading up happening.

i mean, we don't just need 1 guard, we need 2 because both of our starting ones aren't what you necessarily call starter quality
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #8
fujirama24
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18332

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
We didn't trade up for heath we got him at pick 29 he fell to us because of conserns with his hammy. As for us trading up I don't think it will be a problem when the bears sign Mike Wallace and we get there first round pick in return pick #19. Just saying.
fujirama24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:45 PM   #9
tburhans
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18473

Heath didn't have a hammy issue he had a hernia which he had surgery for. Same thing barron is going through. We traded up for troy and santonio both of which were good trades. A future hall of famer in troy and a super bowl mvp in holmes so id say we have done pretty good when we have traded up
tburhans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:59 PM   #10
fujirama24
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18332

Quote:
Originally Posted by tburhans View Post
Heath didn't have a hammy issue he had a hernia which he had surgery for. Same thing barron is going through. We traded up for troy and santonio both of which were good trades. A future hall of famer in troy and a super bowl mvp in holmes so id say we have done pretty good when we have traded up
Your right my bad I knew it was something that started with an H LOL. Sorry about that.
fujirama24 is offline   Reply With Quote