Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
fujirama24
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18332
My Mood: Crappy
Default Possible NT taken in draft

I see alot of people saying we might take poe in the first round. But I really like Nick Jean - Baptiste out of baylor. 6-1 335 they say he has a great first push and stops the run great. What do you guys think. As of now he is a mid 3rd pick.
fujirama24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:19 PM   #2
bac151rum
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 23791
Default Re: Possible NT taken in draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujirama24 View Post
I see alot of people saying we might take poe in the first round. But I really like Nick Jean - Baptiste out of baylor. 6-1 335 they say he has a great first push and stops the run great. What do you guys think. As of now he is a mid 3rd pick.
Don't see Baptiste going in the third. Fourth or fifth more likely. And I agree, we should take a serious look at him at the combine. He has more of a Casey Hampton body than Poe (6' 4" 250) or Ta'amu (6' 3", 235), and is bulkier than Chapman, so he might be a good day 3 pick up. The combine will tell.
bac151rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,247 Times in 1,806 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac151rum View Post
Don't see Baptiste going in the third. Fourth or fifth more likely. And I agree, we should take a serious look at him at the combine. He has more of a Casey Hampton body than Poe (6' 4" 250) or Ta'amu (6' 3", 235), and is bulkier than Chapman, so he might be a good day 3 pick up. The combine will tell.
let me remind you that the hands down best NT in the game today, haloti ngata , is 6-4, not 6-1.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #4
bac151rum
Draft Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
let me remind you that the hands down best NT in the game today, haloti ngata , is 6-4, not 6-1.
Not saying that Poe or Ta'amu wouldn't be good picks. Would love either of them. Just that Hampton is shorter, and if we're looking for a Steelers mold, that might be it.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:08 AM   #5
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
Thanked 1,122 Times in 537 Posts
My Mood: Drunk

Personally I'm not keen on taking a NT in the first just because I feel like there will be valuable options for us at the position in the 2nd or 3rd. The trend over the last few years may show that DTs in general are popular but NTs specifically in the draft aren't snatched up very fast and a guy like Ta'amu or Jean-Baptiste could probably be gotten in the second or third round. Poe seems like a borderline first round pick that could be considered a reach and I feel like one of the OL or ILBs that will be there will be a much better pick (If I were in charge I'd pick Burfict, Glenn, Hightower, Barron, or even trade up for Decastro before picking Poe, but then again I'm just a fan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
Haloti Ngata is the best Defensive Lineman in general but he is hardly a NT. He plays there sometimes because of his versatility but plays more often as a DE. Terrence Cody is the guy the Ravens usually have anchoring the middle (although, he is also 6'4)
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:32 PM   #6
surcalifero
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13079

I truly believe the Steelers will try to select Poe in the first round. Hood and Heyward were first round picks. The Steelers organization believe a 3-4 system is critical for success. Hampton will have to teach Poe. If Poe is not available, I hope they don't reach for a NT and go after OL.
surcalifero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #7
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,507 Times in 1,659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac151rum View Post
I agree. I think Chapman will be a 2nd round guy and not exactly sure if he is a 2-gap NT, but think he is that more than a 3-technique. Fangopu from BYU is another that could be around in round 3 or 4 I think if we cant find a guy we like earlier.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #8
bac151rum
Draft Prospect

My feeling is that Poe is the only first round worthy NT, Ta;amu the only second round worty, and Chapman the only third round worthy. If we don't get Poe, we probably won't be drafting nose until the 4th or 5th round. Good news is that there looks like plenty of NT value in the 4th and 5th rounds.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:59 PM   #9
AgentGold007
Starter

Member Number: 20176
My Mood: Cool

Looks like the Steelers may have an eye on this guy too, as an undrafted free agent:
Rang Brugler Prisco Judge --------Complete Mock Draftatest News 03/07/2012 -Cardinal Mooney grad and current Kent State University football player Ishmaa'ily Kitchen showed off his skills in front of five NFL scouts on Wednesday morning. It was all part of Kent State's Pro Day. The Cleveland Browns, Pittsburgh Steelers, Indianapolis Colts, New England Patriots, and the Miami Dolphins were all on hand to evaluate Kent State's talent. Kitchen completed six stations, involving the 225 lb bench press, vertical jump, lateral jump, shuttle run, 40-yard dash, and the three cone drill. The 334 pound, 6'3" nose tackle trained for two months preparing for the Pro Day. -WYTV ABC33 News
AgentGold007 is offline   Reply With Quote