Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 12-03-2008, 10:09 AM   #51
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911
Default Re: I know we won....but..

Quote:
Originally Posted by eafratitpm3 View Post
Just MO, apparently if you go to the Steelers Website today and read what Tomlin says he also aggrees with me. I'm not here to bash the Steelers but just stating facts about the game. Another opinion but if this offense can get rolling and be consistent there's no one in the league that can play with the Steelers this year.
Good post! That's pretty much sums it up (in bold).

This team can win the superbowl!
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:02 PM   #52
filthyfan
Water Boy

Member Number: 7625

...SteelrFreak....I beg to differ....with all due respect
Our O put up over 150 yards of rushing...I was at the game....
What I saw was an offensive line that was blowing open some great holes for FWP and Mewelde...and doing a good job protecting our QB. My seats were near the endzone where Berger threw both TD's....those throws were perfectly placed in very poor weather.
Overall if you look at what our O has been doing the last 3 weeks you have to be happy....they're begining to gel...especially the O-line...very good news.....and very good timing... Filthyfan
filthyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:19 PM   #53
DACEB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by filthyfan View Post
...SteelrFreak....I beg to differ....with all due respect
Our O put up over 150 yards of rushing...I was at the game....
What I saw was an offensive line that was blowing open some great holes for FWP and Mewelde...and doing a good job protecting our QB. My seats were near the endzone where Berger threw both TD's....those throws were perfectly placed in very poor weather.
Overall if you look at what our O has been doing the last 3 weeks you have to be happy....they're begining to gel...especially the O-line...very good news.....and very good timing... Filthyfan
Exactly the point, why after a 5yd gain on 1st down (running the ball), do you go 5wide in crappy weather.

I'm extremely happy the O is beginning to gel. I'm looking forward to a good effort this week also. The Cowboys secondary is weak and the D-line, while desruptive, is on the small side. And as Gonzo has pointed out, the line has played well against 3-4s.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:25 PM   #54
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

I'll tell you why: Because it makes the offense unpredictable. If we had an offensive line that was superior at both run and pass blocking we may not need to resort to sleight of hand, but as things stand, not so much.

How do you get the run game going without a dominant line? Pass a little more. How do you get the pass game going if you're having trouble buying time for the QB? Run a little more. How do you do either without a great line? Obfuscate what your intentions are by passing out of run formations and running out of pass formations.

I, for one, am not a big fan of just selling out by lining up our fat guys versus theirs and running right into the teeth of their defense, especially while lacking a monster power back like Bettis...
Old 12-03-2008, 02:47 PM   #55
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACEB View Post
Exactly the point, why after a 5yd gain on 1st down (running the ball), do you go 5wide in crappy weather.

I'm extremely happy the O is beginning to gel. I'm looking forward to a good effort this week also. The Cowboys secondary is weak and the D-line, while desruptive, is on the small side. And as Gonzo has pointed out, the line has played well against 3-4s.
I actually don't mind passing in crappy weather...Ben seems to handle it okay and I think it gives the receivers a slight edge being that they know where they're going.

They shouldn't make a living off of it, but I think they can have success throwing in bad weather...heck it's Pittsburgh, they better be able to throw in crappy weather!

After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 04:16 PM   #56
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

u can't let the weather dictact what u are going to do on off.. if u let the weather control ur off and u only run the ball the opp is def gonna stack the box..

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:16 AM   #57
DACEB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyoder6 View Post
u can't let the weather dictact what u are going to do on off.. if u let the weather control ur off and u only run the ball the opp is def gonna stack the box..
That's when you play-action pass! I'm not saying to let weather dictate, I believe my thoughts on that are practical and understood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Obfuscate what your intentions are by passing out of run formations and running out of pass formations.
That's the point revs, you can't do that 5wide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
I, for one, am not a big fan of just selling out by lining up our fat guys versus theirs and running right into the teeth of their defense, especially while lacking a monster power back like Bettis...
Agreed revs, That's why I like the 3WR sets. That let's us have more threats on the field. The threat of the run, the TE, and the D is more spread out also having to defend deep.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:57 AM   #58
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

I have pointed this out before, but it bears repeating: We should have a QB option in rotation for the 5 wide set. If we spread the D, let Ben take off where the pass rush ain't. I'd much rather have him in control and able to slide than taking blinsided shots. If he runs that a couple times a game, it forces the D to adjust and compenstae, and should create either 1 less pass rusher or a hole downfield.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:14 PM   #59
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

When I watched the Replay of this game on the NFL network (which in itself amazed me that they showed this game) I caught Farrior on the sidelines after we went up 23-10 saying "Is that enough points to win, yes it is, that's enough points"

Our Defense is so confident that all they want is 23 points and they believe they can stop anyone else from scoring more. Sure, the Colts and Giants did about that and we lost but there were lots of mistakes made in both those games on both sides of the ball that really could have been wins. They were very close games. No one can "beat us down" and the Eagles game, shiver...play that game 10 times and we win it 9, I'm confident of that.

anyway, Our D believes that we only need 23 to win against the Pats. That's freaking Confidence.