Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 12-21-2006, 11:44 AM   #11
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290
Default Re: Colon, Essex compete for right tackle job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
While sitting Taylor over Townsend for this length of time is a puzzler, getting more playing time for McFadden (which I recall initially had something to do with Townsend being dinged) is another illustration of the value of seeing if a younger player can be a potential starter.

IMHO these tryouts have established Holmes and McFaddden as starters for 2007. Too bad we have taken no significant steps to consider OL replacements for Simmons and Starks.
I'm with you Dan, I have no idea why James Harrison doesn't get more playing time. He should be in a consistent rotation with Porter/Haggans.

As for the Oline I agree it would be nice to see if these young guys can play and are worthy of staying on the team.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 12:02 PM   #12
FLSteeler
Water Boy

Member Number: 2618

Ill take Willie Colon over Trae Essex after watching Freeney manhandle
Trae Essex last year in the first Colts game. Willie looked good in camp
this year . He does not take crap from nobody just ask Farrior. If they
pick Trae Essex then Iam behind them all the way.

" Go Steelers "
FLSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 01:06 PM   #13
BigDuke6
Banned

Member Number: 2238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
It is like Smith and Holmes getting more playing time with the injuries to Troy and Hines - a bad way to get playing time for back-ups (why is James Harrison not seeing reps at OLB?) that Cowher should have been doing voluntarily once the season crashed after the Denver game.

With Smith and Holmes you were replacing top shelf players. While Colon or Essex may get chewed up Sunday, I agree with other posters that Starks has been horrible for most of this season and am puzzled why he stayed off the bench (although that question may be answered for me at some point during the first half on Sunday).

Playing time for either Essex or Colon is a tardy start to the process of deciding whether to stay with Starks in 2007, assuming Starks does not leave as a restricted FA and force the issue of finding a replacement.
Although he has had a bad season, and I've been all over him for it on alot of these boards but I am not ready to give up on him just yet. Lets get the kids in there to see what they've got, then we'll have a really competitive situation for playing time. And that can only help.
BigDuke6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 01:35 PM   #14
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDuke6 View Post
Although he has had a bad season, and I've been all over him for it on alot of these boards but I am not ready to give up on him just yet. Lets get the kids in there to see what they've got, then we'll have a really competitive situation for playing time. And that can only help.

I say... Give Willie Colon playing time. Heck, you never know... either he will stop the Ravens D... Or he will take em all on in a fight! Either way, he is going to be entertaining to watch!!!

Seriously, for me, he just has that Mike Webster feel.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 01:44 PM   #15
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Steelers: Colon to start at right tackle
Thursday, December 21, 2006

By Colin Dunlap, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Bill Cowher announced after practice today that rookie right tackle Willie Colon will start Sunday's game against Baltimore in place of the injured Max Starks. It will be Colon's first NFL start.

In addition, defensive backs Troy Polamalu (knee) and Mike Logan (hamstring) have been upgraded to probable.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06355/747970-100.stm
Old 12-21-2006, 03:46 PM   #16
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

I would like to get a good look at Colon and get him in there and see what we have. Essex got beat bad in the first game and its time for Colon to get in there...
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 05:08 PM   #17
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344

I want to see Colon in there, end of story. Essex is good and getting better, but I want to get a good look at our rookie and see what he has to offer in the future. From what I've heard, he is a lineman hat will not give up and will not take any crap, which is what I think we need, especially when we are facing opponents like the Ratbirds.

~Polamalufan43
Old 12-21-2006, 05:15 PM   #18
NV STEELERS 723
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2572

I'm glad Colon is starting....how the heck does he not have a car ????????????????
NV STEELERS 723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 05:15 PM   #19
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

I didn't realize Starks was injured. Hopefully Colon can step it up.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 05:41 PM   #20
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

A little story many of you might not know about Max Starks? injury. Apparently, it did not happen in the game last week as previously thought. Instead, the injury occurred this past Monday.

As with most Mondays during the season, the Steelers players were given the day off.. Max decided to take the opportunity to go grocery shopping. He decided to call his good friend and fellow offensive lineman Kendall Simmons to see if Kendall wanted to accompany him. Kendall responded that, indeed he was low on groceries, and would accompany Max to the super market.

Max and Kendall met at the store at noon and began to shop. At 1:00 p.m. Max and Kendall were just about finished shopping , when Max noticed that the store was running a special on Ovaltine ? buy one get one free. Realizing what a great a good deal this was, both players filled their respective carts. As they continued down isle 5, side by side, towards the checkout, a voice came over the loudspeaker advertising the Ovaltine special. Little did the two teammates know that this announcement would play a huge roll in their immediate future.

Just at that moment, Elma Lambert, the grandmother of Steelers great Jack Lambert, was pushing her cart past the check-out towards the entrance to isle 5. Even though she had to be at her grandson?s house to celebrate her 98th birthday by 2:00, she couldn?t pass up the a great deal on Ovaltene. Elma approached isle 5 and turned quickly in only to be greeted with a violent crash. The momentum of the collision forced Max and Kendall straight back at least five yards. Unfortunately, Max suffered and injury that will keep him from this week?s game. Kendall?s injury was less severe; the team physician told him that as long as he ices his ankle for only 1 hour per night he should be fine for this week?s game. No problem there.

The situation could have been much worse for the Steelers. Five minute earlier Willie Parker had been at the other end of isle 5. Just as he was about to head down isle 5, he change their minds and decided to follow teammate Alan Faneca down isle 6.

For those interested, Elma was uninjured. As she drove off she was heard to exclaim, ?it?s a good thing those *&^%^^% weren?t kickers.

Last edited by OneForTheToe; 12-23-2006 at 10:38 AM.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote