Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-20-2006, 08:24 AM   #21
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751
Default Re: Is J. Porter Gone?

How many times have we lost one of the best linebackers in the league and still had a great defense the next year? So often that it's not a big deal, I'd say. Porter's great. Let him cash in, he's earned it; we'll be just fine whether he's signed or not.

It's the free agent era. Everyone has to be strong enough to say, "We've had a great run, but it's time to move on. Thanks man, see you on the field."

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 08:51 AM   #22
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

It may be the free agent era but that doesn't mean the players have to buy into it. I mea honestly, what's the difference if you make 1.5 million or 2 million more, or even 5 million more than what you are being offered from your current team. Get paid, don't rob the bank, and make every attempt to win the Super Bowl more than once.
I mean isn't that the ultimate goal? Or has the almight green back changed the vision?

Maybe we should start a Joey Don't Take the Bank thread - along with a Mr. Rooney please give Peezy the Cheezy thread!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 10:36 AM   #23
emmysDAD
Water Boy

Member Number: 3307

I would like to see him stay....I mean Haggins is a bit older and his contract is up in a couple years, I'd hate see us lose two starters on the outside within 2 years. I mean I like Harrison alot too, but I really like porter.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:25 PM   #24
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
It may be the free agent era but that doesn't mean the players have to buy into it. I mea honestly, what's the difference if you make 1.5 million or 2 million more, or even 5 million more than what you are being offered from your current team.

1) NFL contracts are not guaranteed,

2) An amount of income that seems adequate today may be insignifigant 35 or 40 years from now when a player is infirm due to sacrifices he made in his 20s. Don't underestimate what you might need at age 65 and don't underestimate the power of compounding interest; the difference between $7M and $10M today is a heck of a lot more 35 years from now.

Sandy Koufax's unbelievable $100k contract in 1966 is laughable today; that's available for just about anyone (depending on education and initiative), and the MINIMUM baseball salary today is $327k. The original lottery prize of $1M at $50k for 20 years seemed like "set for life" in the '70s, but at $50k/year today most peoples' spouses are also working to keep up with the bills.

It's easy to tell the other guy how HE needs to be altruistic when it benefits YOU; but if it was ME that was putting my butt out there on the field every Sunday, plus all that work in practice and in the weight room and studying film, and I knew that I was a premium player, I'd go for the gold.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 12:35 PM   #25
justinstrzelczyk
Water Boy

Member Number: 3380

Joey will leave, and I'm glad to see him go. I'm ready for Silverback to take over. He's going into his prime, Porter is out of his prime. We've seen this over and over again with Steeler linebackers. They know how to get rid of them at just the right time.
justinstrzelczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 02:11 PM   #26
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
1) NFL contracts are not guaranteed,

2) An amount of income that seems adequate today may be insignifigant 35 or 40 years from now when a player is infirm due to sacrifices he made in his 20s. Don't underestimate what you might need at age 65 and don't underestimate the power of compounding interest; the difference between $7M and $10M today is a heck of a lot more 35 years from now.

Sandy Koufax's unbelievable $100k contract in 1966 is laughable today; that's available for just about anyone (depending on education and initiative), and the MINIMUM baseball salary today is $327k. The original lottery prize of $1M at $50k for 20 years seemed like "set for life" in the '70s, but at $50k/year today most peoples' spouses are also working to keep up with the bills.

It's easy to tell the other guy how HE needs to be altruistic when it benefits YOU; but if it was ME that was putting my butt out there on the field every Sunday, plus all that work in practice and in the weight room and studying film, and I knew that I was a premium player, I'd go for the gold.

Tom
I honestly believe that both sides need to get their respective heads out of their respective arses and define a better free agency system. One that rewards the players as well as the owners and more importantly the fans!

Of course the day that happens will probably be the beginning of the apocalypse!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 02:50 PM   #27
mopit55
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2035

porter is the most physically linebacker in nfl.him for harrison? no. big contract on 3 or 4 years will be the just reward. harrison has the same age also a big rookie linebacker or a big contract.the money change data but joey is the real captain of our blitz,he's a playmaker.
mopit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 03:12 PM   #28
steelfan 92
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2630

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamix View Post
I have never seen him get a sack with his athletisism, but usually a missed assignment because of the defensive scheme.
Are u f------g crazy, joey beats people of the line with his speed. i love joey, but think he goes cause of the money, let me ask you all you a question. if some one overs you 30 million for the next 4 years and you have to move from where you came up would you do it? if you guys say no, your lying. you could set ur family up for the rest of there lives, its something you have to do, and if peezy did i would not blame him for it. in the nfl its a business, get yours when you can.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:31 PM   #29
mopit55
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2035

to imagine porter in an another team it's break my heart.steelers must push the money
mopit55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 03:46 PM   #30
sumo
Team Captain

Member Number: 3047

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfan 92 View Post
Are u f------g crazy, joey beats people of the line with his speed. i love joey, but think he goes cause of the money, let me ask you all you a question. if some one overs you 30 million for the next 4 years and you have to move from where you came up would you do it? if you guys say no, your lying. you could set ur family up for the rest of there lives, its something you have to do, and if peezy did i would not blame him for it. in the nfl its a business, get yours when you can.
Of course I would take the money -- usually when these guys take a pay cut for the sake of the team there are one of two things happening

1) They already have a ton of cash -- ie someone like Brady/Manning taking a cut two years after they already cashed in a 20 million dollar bonus to help the team get a free agent or something

2) They know what the market is and the $$ for leaving doesn't match the benefit of staying

Joey doesn't fall into either of these categories -- I remember Roger Craig when he was arguably the best RB in football back in the late 80s playing for a fraction of what he was worth "for the sake of the team" -- I guarantee if he had it to do again he would have went after the money as a hold out with the 49ers or as a free agent...
sumo is offline   Reply With Quote