Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-29-2013, 04:33 AM   #1
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Default Poker player’s bad-beat face at the World Series of Poker will break your heart

Poker player’s bad-beat face at the World Series of Poker will break your heart
By Jay Busbee | The Turnstile – 20 hours ago

Despite the best efforts of Congress and the shifting tides of fads, poker is still a thing, and the World Series of Poker remains one of the world's singular competitions (we won't say "sports"). Nowhere else can a dude come in literally — and we mean that in the classic sense of the term — off the street and defeat the sport's most notable pros.

Of course, anybody who's ever played poker is familiar with the bad beat, the moment when the cards that had been running in your favor turn horribly, irrevocably against you. Like parents, everybody's got some bad beat stories, and like your fantasy team, nobody else is interested in hearing those stories.

That said, this is a rugged one here. Carter Gill, playing in the World Series of Poker in a round televised Tuesday night, thought he was about to double his winnings. And as you can see from the stats above, he had a 93 percent chance of winning the hand. In poker terms, that's as close as you can get to a dead-solid lock.

(Read More:) http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/the-tu...120717845.html

__________________________________________________ _____________

"Break your heart"? I find it pretty amusing considering how smug he seemed.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (08-30-2013), teegre (08-29-2013)
Old 08-29-2013, 08:46 AM   #2
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,622 Times in 10,389 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: Poker player’s bad-beat face at the World Series of Poker will break your heart

I've had a worse beat on a poker tournament.

I had a boat (three jacks, two queens)... but the guy across from me had a better full house (three queens, two jacks).

Now, THAT was heartbreaking.

Everyone at the table asked the dealer if they could give me a chip or two, just so that I could play one more hand. I turned it down (before the dealer even told them "No"), shook everyone's hand, and went swimming.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (08-29-2013)
Old 08-29-2013, 02:27 PM   #3
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Default Re: Poker player’s bad-beat face at the World Series of Poker will break your heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post

I had a boat (three jacks, two queens)... but the guy across from me had a better full house (three queens, two jacks).

Everyone at the table asked the dealer if they could give me a chip or two, just so that I could play one more hand. I turned it down (before the dealer even told them "No"), shook everyone's hand, and went swimming.
I've gotten beaten with a full house before too. Can't remember the actual cards I had though. My mind must be somehow unconsciously blocking the painful memory from itself. It may have been a four-of-a-kind that beat me.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
teegre (08-29-2013)
Old 08-29-2013, 11:38 PM   #4
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha Bus View Post
I've gotten beaten with a full house before too. Can't remember the actual cards I had though. My mind must be somehow unconsciously blocking the painful memory from itself. It may have been a four-of-a-kind that beat me.
Oh, I've had a full house, and been beaten by (obviously) bigger hands: four of a kind, straight-flush. That kind of beat I can accept.

I was beaten by the only hand (due to the cards on the table) that could have beaten me.
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (08-30-2013)
Old 08-30-2013, 09:26 AM   #5
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 6,303 Times in 2,984 Posts
My Mood: Angelic

Are hearts and diamonds really so different?

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #6
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,474 Times in 1,147 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post

My worst beat was in an Omaha game. Had quad 8's on the turn, other guy had a boat of 10's over 8's and of course a 10 came on the river. It boils my blood just to think about it.
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelCityMom For This Useful Post:
teegre (09-03-2013)
Old 09-03-2013, 12:07 AM   #7
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMom View Post
My worst beat was in an Omaha game. Had quad 8's on the turn, other guy had a boat of 10's over 8's and of course a 10 came on the river. It boils my blood just to think about it.
It's called "the river" for a reason. LOL (ugh)