Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Tailgate Party

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-25-2013, 11:23 PM   #1
CaliSteel
Water Boy

Member Number: 25124
Default Steelers vs Ravens Oct.20th!!!! Advice on tailgating, getting to the stadium etc etc

Well guys....life long Steelers fan her from Cali! Just got my tickets ( Section 535 ), hotel ( Sheraton Station Square Hotel ), car, and flight booked!!

Question #1 Should me and my girlfriend drive there or take the fairy? pros / cons
Question#2 Do people go party after the games? if so where at?
Question#3 Tailgating....never done it....any advice? hows it work? what do I bring? money? booze? food?
Question#4 What the heck is the weather like in October?
Question#5 Are Pittsburgh natives friendly? or are me and my girlfriend going to feel like outcasts?
Question#6 Football aside what are some cool places to go check out in Pittsburgh? Any must eat places?

Thanks!
Vlad
CaliSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:43 PM   #2
SDakotaSteelerFan
Water Boy

Member Number: 25135
Default Re: Steelers vs Ravens Oct.20th!!!! Advice on tailgating, getting to the stadium etc

Way to go Cali! Your trip is going to be insane. The people in the Burgh are top shelf to say the least. It's a pilgrimage for any Steeler fan and your jaw is going to drop seeing the sea of Black and Gold. So get to the stadium early and take it all in. I'll try to answer based on my experiences.

Question #1 - My wife and I took the Gateway Clipper over to the stadium. It was affordable, has tv's and seating, a couple bars, but not a long ride. Get to the dock early,they fill up fast. It literally takes you up to the stadium front steps. They'll come right before the game is over and make a few trips afterwards.
Question #2 - Can't help in that department, it seemed like everywhere was a party! Every little pub had Steeler fans, especially after a win.
Question #3 - We actually ran into Louis Lipps the night before and he invited us to his front row tailgate. Unbelievable!! Everyone was friendly and having a great time. You'll get invited to eat/drink by almost everyone, so remember to make a donation and you'll be good to go. Was fun meeting Steeler fans from around the world. People got a kick out of hearing that we came all the way from South Dakota.
Question #4 - October weather was a little cool, but beautiful. Maybe a light jacket if your sitting in the shaded part of Heinz, it does get chilly if your not baking in the sun.
Question #5 - See above. People were awesome. Reminded me alot of the Midwest. There is no way your gonna feel like an outcast, wait until you get to the game.
Question #6 - Definitely ride the Inclines. And go down to the Strip District. Alot of shops and Steeler merchandise.....like....alot! Eat breakfast at Pamelas if you can. And Primanti Bros is down the block. We also ate at Bettis Grill which is close to Heinz. And check the schedule to see if you have time for the Heinz Field tour. It's dirt cheap, like $6, and they take you through the whole facility, even the locker rooms, press box, and a suite. Beware, you cannot touch the grass, but you can take pics beside the players lockers. And do not step on the logo in the locker room, it's taboo. You'll crap when you hear how much a suite costs!!

Other advice I can add is to study the road map. Some roads were a little confusing, but we managed after a few u-turns. Go check out PNC or drive by Consol Energy Center if you get time. It's a great way to see the city. I've always heard it was a dirty steel town, but it blew me away how beautiful it was. As I said, get to the stadium early, they have alot of cool displays and bands playing in the concourse. Pay attention to the video board in the 3rd Qtr, we play Renegade and the place gets crazy. Look on YouTube for videos.

Not sure where to stop without spoiling it. Whatever expectations you have will be completely blown away. Have a great time and have a few Iron City's for me.

Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go!
SDakotaSteelerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:22 PM   #3
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419
Default Re: Steelers vs Ravens Oct.20th!!!! Advice on tailgating, getting to the stadium etc

You need to Tailgate! Join ours.Watch this forum for my tailgate thread.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote