Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-06-2013, 04:05 AM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,304 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Steelers' McLendon focusing solely on Titans

By Mark Kaboly

Published: Thursday, Sept. 5, 2013, 7:48 p.m.
Updated 3 hours ago

Steve McLendon spent the better part of the past four years — which included more than a dozen transactions — waiting for his opportunity to run out of the Heinz Field tunnel as the starting nose tackle for the Steelers.

You would figure that even the most hardened player — one who has a resume that includes being released three times in a 33-day span — would allow himself to soak in the moment.

Not Steve McLendon.

“I don't have time for that,” said McLendon, who supplants veteran Casey Hampton.

“Man, I've been here too long. It's just time for me to play. I've been waiting, and the time is finally here.”

McLendon will start only his second game Sunday, when the Steelers open the season at Heinz Field against Tennessee. He will be one of the few new faces on a talented and veteran defense that's finished in the top five in the NFL against the run in eight of the past nine seasons, when Hampton anchored the unit.

McLendon might not want to admit taking a moment or two to soak in the atmosphere of his first career home start, but defensive end Brett Keisel knows differently.

Keisel spent the first four years of his career waiting behind Aaron Smith and Kimo von Oelhoffen.

“Once you finally get an opportunity to go out and play, it is like finally all that hard work you put in getting to that point becomes worth it,” Keisel said. “Steve has done it, and he's put in the work, and he earned it. It wasn't given to him.”

McLendon admits that the feeling will be a little different Sunday but won't allow himself to focus on anything else but his job.

“I have always prepared for this moment in time,” McLendon said. “It's an exciting challenge and an exciting time for me.”

McLendon's tune might change after Sunday.

Tennessee boasts an improved interior offensive line with the additions of guards Chance Warmack and Andy Levitre.

The Titans likely will attack McLendon with double teams from veteran center Rob Turner and either Warmack or Levitre early to see if McLendon can clog the middle of the defense like Hampton did for more than a decade.

“Let's face it, you don't design your game plan around who the other team's nose tackle is,” defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said.

“Steve will have to step in, but he's done this. It isn't like he's never been out there on the field. I am not guessing on this. I've seen him do it.”

McLendon's best games were in 2011, when he filled in for an ailing Hampton in Arizona and again in the playoff game against Denver. McLendon played his most career snaps in those two games and combined for nine tackles and helped the Steelers hold the opposition to less than 4 yards per carry.

That success might be a difficult to come by against the Titans and running back Chris Johnson.

Even though the Steelers have been stingy with Johnson, not allowing him more than 60 yards per game, Johnson quickly can turn on out-of-position nose tackle into a game-changing play.

“Will he have some on-the-job training?” LeBeau said. “Sure. He is carrying the job full time now, so he's going to be out there more, and he'll learn more. I know he is going to play well.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz2e6MndF00
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook
Old 09-06-2013, 05:04 AM   #2
IowaSteeler927
Head Coach

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 1,732 Times in 809 Posts
My Mood: Sleepy
Default Re: Steelers' McLendon focusing solely on Titans

I like McClendon and I think he should've seen more playing time last season. It always boggled my mind that he didn't see more playing time when in the little playing time that he was getting, he was being more of a disruptive force than Casey Hampton was despite Hampton taking most of the snaps. I like or D-Line this year. I think they're more athletic with McClendon at the nose tackle position, and I think that's going to translate into them being more disruptive overall. McClendon seems to be able to get after the quarterback, which is a pretty rare attribute amongst nose tackles in the NFL.
IowaSteeler927 is offline   Reply With Quote