Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 09-05-2013, 04:51 AM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,760 Times in 1,585 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Veterans scoff at talk of team in transition

By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ike Taylor has been around the Steelers for 11 years, long enough to appear in three Super Bowls and four AFC championship games. In that time, he has missed playing in the postseason three times, the most recent coming in 2012.

Through a series of offseason departures the past two seasons, Taylor, 32, has become one of the veteran leaders. He has watched teammates with whom he has won two Super Bowls -- Hines Ward, James Farrior, Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton, James Harrison, among others -- leave the organization, creating a void in veteran leadership and causing many to wonder if the Steelers are a team in transition, if not decline.

Taylor, the team's top cornerback, can only chuckle.

"They've been saying that forever," he said. "They always say that. I remember when we were 6-10, they said it. I remember when we were 8-8, they said it. Every time they say we wind up bouncing back. I hope they keep saying it."

The Steelers have been more than just one of the most successful teams in the NFL in the past 12 years. They have also been one of the most resilient.

Since 2001, they have never had back-to-back seasons in which they missed the playoffs, often bouncing back in grand style when it was least expected. The most recent example was when they didn't make the postseason in 2009 and bounced back and went to the Super Bowl in 2010.

"I think it's the willingness to get back on top," said defensive end Brett Keisel. "This team, historically, is known to be a very good team and one that competes every year. Hopefully this is one of those years."

That will be put to the test this season after the Steelers went through another wave of veteran departures in the offseason, losing seven starters from last season, including five who played in two Super Bowls -- Hampton, Harrison, Max Starks, Willie Colon and Rashard Mendenhall.

"Playing in Pittsburgh, you can't go 8-8 twice," Taylor said. "You go 8-8 twice, someone has to go, that's just the way it is. Expectations are sky high. You don't have six Lombardi trophies sitting on the second floor in the front office just because 8-8 is acceptable. That's just something you don't do around here. Guys feel it."

General manager Kevin Colbert and coach Mike Tomlin weren't going to sit still after one 8-8 season, let alone two. They let several of their top players go in free agency, including receiver Mike Wallace and cornerback Keenan Lewis, dismissing their departures as players from an 8-8 team.

Maybe that's part of the reason for their success. Chuck Noll was once accused of hanging on to his Super Bowl players too long, causing a decline in the 1980s. Not this regime.

They have maintained a level of success that few other NFL teams can claim.

"I wish it wasn't like that," said veteran inside linebacker Larry Foote, who has played on three Super Bowl teams. "But we have big a challenge to make the playoffs this year."

Since Bill Cowher became coach in 1992, the longest playoff drought the Steelers have endured is three consecutive seasons (1998-2000). For all intents and purposes, the skid began on Thanksgiving Day 1998 when Jerome Bettis made the wrong coin-toss call in overtime in Detroit, leading to a defeat that started a streak in which the Steelers lost 18 of 24 games over three seasons.

But, since 2001, the Steelers are one of only three teams (New England, Indianapolis) to never miss the playoffs in back-to-back seasons. In that 12-year period, they have failed to make the postseason just four times -- 2003, 2006 (Cowher's last season), 2009, when they won their last three games to finish 9-7; and last season, when they lost five of their last seven.

In that same period, they have been to three Super Bowls (winning two) and made five appearances in the AFC championship game.

The Steelers have followed each non-playoff season with a postseason appearance, and, in at least one instance (2010), made it to the Super Bowl the following season. After they missed the playoffs in Cowher's last season, Mike Tomlin won the Super Bowl two years later.

"First of all, it's the talent on the team," Foote said. "If you don't have that, you don't have a chance to make the playoffs. And through the past decade we showed that we can rebound because we have the talent."

"One thing is, usually we don't focus on the year before," said safety Ryan Clark. "Once you hit the field it's a new year. Guys here have confidence that comes from winning a lot and we understand how to do it."

How do the Steelers do it?

How do they manage to bounce back from non-playoff seasons, sometimes with a bang?

There are several reasons.

One is the combination of Ben Roethlisberger and a defense that annually ranks at the top, or near the top, of the league. Having an elite quarterback and a defense that doesn't allow many points means the Steelers are never out of any game and, by extension, any season.

Another is their style of play. The Steelers do not blow out teams with impressive offensive displays, nor do they typically get blown out.

In the past five seasons, the Steelers have scored 30 or more points in a game just 14 times. In that same period, they have just three losses by 17 points or more.

They play conservative, keeping the score close, waiting to create a break and are content to win a lot of games by a touchdown or even a field goal.

"We know how to figure out how to win those games in the fourth quarter," Foote said.

Last year, though, the approach backfired.

The Steelers were involved in nine games decided by four points or fewer and were 4-5 in those games. The most critical defeats came at the end of the season in Dallas (27-24) and at home against Cincinnati (13-10).

Antonio Brown's fumble on a punt return and Roethlisberger's overtime interception led to the defeat in Dallas. Roethlisberger threw another costly interception in the final minute against the Bengals that led to the winning field goal.

"That's why we're stressing turnovers on defense," Foote said. "When you look at the whole season, it comes down to, we got to catch the ball and defensively we have to control our side of the ball and help our offense out as much as possible."

Or risk another season of missing the playoffs.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz2e0Sj9tLk
Old 09-05-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319
Default Re: Veterans scoff at talk of team in transition

Funny to see the Bettis coin toss come up again, that ref was deaf, I'm just surprised they "played on it" since that was a big f*ck up and the whole stadium knew it except for that deaf old man. It's comical now, but irritating then.

Everything from that article and everything I've heard from our players this off season/beginning of the season sounds good, doesn't seem like anybody is taking anything for granted. Can't wait for Sunday.

Last edited by tanda10506; 09-05-2013 at 07:14 PM.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tanda10506 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (09-05-2013)
Old 09-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #3
Steelstoned1972
UNLEASHING HELL SINCE '72
Supporter

Member Number: 16903
Thanked 2,989 Times in 1,712 Posts
My Mood: Psychedelic

I expect a very chippy team this season , the only thing I see holding us back is excessive injuries and if the Line never lives up to their drafted pedigree. Fingers crossed .
Buddha Bus (09-06-2013), harrison'samonster (09-05-2013)
Old 09-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
Da Pimp
Team Captain

Member Number: 24990

I really wish they would stop bragging that they never play well enough to blow teams out. A good team should dominate some weeks, bot continually have to sweat it out each week. They really need to stop bragging about letting lousy teams stay in games.
Da Pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Da Pimp For This Useful Post:
steelfury02 (09-06-2013), TheVet (09-07-2013)
Old 09-05-2013, 09:44 PM   #5
lardlad
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10897
My Mood: Amazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Pimp View Post
I really wish they would stop bragging that they never play well enough to blow teams out. A good team should dominate some weeks, bot continually have to sweat it out each week. They really need to stop bragging about letting lousy teams stay in games.
Or losing to crappy teams.
lardlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:42 AM   #6
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,770 Times in 2,250 Posts
My Mood: Fine

certainly can't rest on whats worked in the past - that's just it - the past

I'm not sure if the Steeler Way means they draft certain personalities but the offense especially needs an injection of killer mentality - they should want to be bullies for once and ring up the score - not sure that will happen in my lifetime.

Anytime Ben gets 3TD passes is a good day - let alone 7TDs!

I'VE GOT SOME YOUTHFUL ADJUSTMENTS FOR 'DAT AZZ
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:21 AM   #7
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 5,974 Times in 2,869 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
certainly can't rest on whats worked in the past - that's just it - the past

I'm not sure if the Steeler Way means they draft certain personalities but the offense especially needs an injection of killer mentality - they should want to be bullies for once and ring up the score - not sure that will happen in my lifetime.

Anytime Ben gets 3TD passes is a good day - let alone 7TDs!
I'm predicting 8

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vis For This Useful Post:
steelfury02 (09-06-2013)
Old 09-06-2013, 10:31 AM   #8
VaDave
Team Owner

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,074 Posts

What did we replace this year? 15 players? Last year, about 13-14? According to my math, that's about half the team replaced in the last two years. No transition? More like denial....
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VaDave For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (09-06-2013)
Old 09-06-2013, 10:38 AM   #9
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDave View Post
What did we replace this year? 15 players? Last year, about 13-14? According to my math, that's about half the team replaced in the last two years. No transition? More like denial....
It is a transition period, but the good news is that the Steelers recent "transition period" history suggests it will be a short one. As long as we have a healthy Ben, we have a shot to turn it back around quickly.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
Lady Steel (09-06-2013), steelfury02 (09-06-2013), VaDave (09-06-2013)
Old 09-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #10
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,770 Times in 2,250 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha Bus View Post
It is a transition period, but the good news is that the Steelers recent "transition period" history suggests it will be a short one. As long as we have a healthy Ben, we have a shot to turn it back around quickly.
you said transition period

I'VE GOT SOME YOUTHFUL ADJUSTMENTS FOR 'DAT AZZ
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (09-06-2013)