Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-06-2013, 09:49 AM   #21
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah
Default Re: Steelers' Woodley insists role shouldn't change

Hey Dong committee , shove this
Old 09-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #22
IowaSteeler927
The Corn Shucking Hippie
Supporter

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 3,736 Times in 1,691 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i like how people always mention his weight and his money but neglect to acknowledge his injuries.

he was fat and happy but not hurt, huh?
Sorry but I think Woodley's injuries were due in part to his having been out of shape and I also think he was milking them. As for the injuries in general the coaching staff echoed the same sentiments in regards to him being out of shape.

"needs to get his big butt into shape" - Keith Butler, Steelers Linebackers Coach.

Let's not forget he was criticized by his own teammates.

Woodley is always making excuses. Blaming injuries, and blaming the defensive schemes for keeping his sacks down. I saw a whole lot of him getting blocked and handled by lineman and tight ends. I don't think the scheme had a damned thing to do with his issues. I think he got himself a big fat payday and didn't get his big ass into shape last season and that's why he was hurt and then he used his injuries as an excuse when people brought up his having been out of shape.

Either way he looks to have lost weight this season (a direct response to having been out of shape in the first place), and he looks a lot better moving around and taking on blockers. I like Woodley, but last year was a huge letdown and I look forward to a much better performance this year from him.
IowaSteeler927 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IowaSteeler927 For This Useful Post:
Steeldude (09-11-2013), steelfury02 (09-06-2013), TheVet (09-07-2013)
Old 09-06-2013, 11:25 AM   #23
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,916 Times in 2,322 Posts
My Mood: Fine

being a spoiled Steelers fan I will say of course other fans of other teams want Woodley - he's still better than what most have on their favorite team

but yea, the injury thing is at least partially his fault and there's a lot of Steeler Nation in Pittsburgh I've talked to that thinks the same way - actually there are people that want him gone regardless of his performance this season - I don't hate him like some do but yea, he's gotta be healthy and show that commitment for him to get in my "good graces"

Part of my message board vitriol for him I think is warranted but some of it is also sarcasm - kinda hard to tell when its not face to face

that's great that he is good in pass coverage - I'm not one of those that thinks he needs to get 3 to 4 sacks everygame, but he has been constantly owned for how much he is getting paid - I think he is quite overhyped and I think its because he does a great job of promoting himself - take that as you will

I'VE GOT SOME YOUTHFUL ADJUSTMENTS FOR 'DAT AZZ
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:13 AM   #24
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppyjoe View Post
“The only time I've been a part-time player is due to being fat and out of shape these past two seasons. Other than that, no, I never have been.”
“He's been doing a great job of being around the ball, making some big-time plays and helping the defense,” Woodley said. “Now he's got to continue to do that for the next 16 weeks even though I havent played 16 games in quite some time"
“It's not like I'm a new player in this defense,” Woodley said. “When it's time to go out there and play, I'm going to try to do what I've done the first couple years in the league before I got the big payday. Now that I have someone that could take my job next year I'll have to get in shape and actually produce.
lol, Post of the Week!!!

The black and gold ostrich of rebuilding denial.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:14 AM   #25
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
LeBeau said he's the best coverage OLB that he's had, and he knows a thing or two. When he's healthy he's a beast, when he's injured he's ineffective, but that's pretty much any LB. If he continues to get injured then we can't afford to keep him in the long term, but as long as he stays healthy he will be back to his old form.

I still don't care much for the idea of Worilds starting and Woodley coming out other then for a quick breather.
I agree completely. Being fat is being unhealthy.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:29 AM   #26
TheVet
Assistant Coach

When I was a kid, I remember the excitement Dave Parker generated as a minor league player in the Pirates organization. We knew he'd be in the majors soon; the buzz was everywhere, the anticipation was huge. When he arrived on the scene, he blew us away. This was a guy who could easily have been a Hall of Famer, a guy who could have been a start among stars - a player with every bit of natural talent that anyone could ask for, a player who could have been the best of the best.

But after a few years, things weren't right. Showing up overweight, out-of-shape, ... the injuries and poor performances that naturally followed. Eventually, the drugs came to light. The entire time, I was pulling for Dave - making every excuse in the book, wanting to believe.

And then one day, the brutal truth occurred to me: I cared more about Dave Parker than Dave Parker did. Big lesson.

As far as I'm concerned, Woodley can get himself in shape and contribute, or get the hell out of town.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheVet For This Useful Post:
tanda10506 (09-08-2013)
Old 09-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #27
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
LeBeau said he's the best coverage OLB that he's had, and he knows a thing or two. When he's healthy he's a beast, when he's injured he's ineffective, but that's pretty much any LB. If he continues to get injured then we can't afford to keep him in the long term, but as long as he stays healthy he will be back to his old form.

I still don't care much for the idea of Worilds starting and Woodley coming out other then for a quick breather.
Then Lebeau needs to retire. I remember coaches complementing Kordell as a QB too.

When he is healthy he is still suspect in coverage and against the run. His sacks(many) are nothing to cheer about. Shouldn't he beat TEs and RBs on a consistent basis?
Old 09-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #28
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
dumervil got solo blocked by a TE, the ravens better CUT HIM NOW!!!!!
Is he constantly being blocked by a lone TE. I would much rather have Dumervil over Woodley. It would be cheaper too.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #29
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
Then Lebeau needs to retire. I remember coaches complementing Kordell as a QB too.

When he is healthy he is still suspect in coverage and against the run. His sacks(many) are nothing to cheer about. Shouldn't he beat TEs and RBs on a consistent basis?
Hell yeah LeBeau should retire, he don't know shit about LB's. Keith Butler should too. We've been in a drought for LB's and the only one's we do get only get blocked by lone TE's or RB's because Tackles don't need to waste their time when playing Pittsburgh. Been like that for years.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #30
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Hell yeah LeBeau should retire, he don't know shit about LB's. Keith Butler should too. We've been in a drought for LB's and the only one's we do get only get blocked by lone TE's or RB's because Tackles don't need to waste their time when playing Pittsburgh. Been like that for years.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
tanda10506 (09-11-2013), teegre (09-11-2013)