Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,484 Times in 3,731 Posts
Default Most Unstable Fan Bases - Steelers #2

"Science" proves what we already know - Steelers fan are manic after wins and very depressed after losses

The NFL's Most Unstable Fan Bases

Anyone who has seen the menacing, metal-stud-wearing fans in the Black Hole at Oakland's O.co Coliseum can attest that the Raiders have a volatile fan base. But would you believe that fans of the venerable Pittsburgh Steelers and New England Patriots are almost as unstable?

Emory University professors Michael Lewis and Manish Tripathi monitored Twitter after games during the 2012 regular season and logged whether the tweets mentioning an NFL team in that team's hometown were positive or negative. They calculated ratios of positive to negative tweets for the three days following each win and loss to produce a fan volatility rating. The higher the number, the more unstable the fan base.

Raiders fans hate-tweeted their way to the title of most unstable base in the NFL, with an index of 47. Dallas, which finished the season with a mediocre 8-8 record, had the most stable fan base, with a score of 4.8. The Steelers and Patriots weren't far behind Oakland, with volatility ratings of 46.5 and 44, respectively.

The results, Tripathi said, could reflect fans' expectations. The Steelers, for instance, entered last season coming off a 12-4 record, but staggered to an 8-8 finish. The Patriots, three-time NFL champions in the 2000s, lost at home to Baltimore in the AFC title game.

On the other hand, Philadelphia, a team long associated with extreme fan reactions, seemed to deflate outrage after dropping to 3-3 with an Oct. 14 loss to Detroit. The Eagles lost nine of their next 10 games, but their fans finished the season with a tranquil volatility score of 6.9, making them the league's third-most stable base.

"My gut tells me that their expectations changed after the first few games," Tripathi said. "They started caring about the next season more than what's happening right now."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...963796698.html
GBMelBlount (09-05-2013), harrison'samonster (09-05-2013), VaDave (09-05-2013)
Old 09-05-2013, 09:00 AM   #2
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts
Default Re: Most Unstable Fan Bases - Steelers #2

Steelers fans are very passionate.

Dallas = Apathy.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GBMelBlount For This Useful Post:
43Hitman (09-05-2013), harrison'samonster (09-05-2013), IowaSteeler927 (09-05-2013), tanda10506 (09-05-2013), tony hipchest (09-05-2013)
Old 09-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #3
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 6,227 Times in 2,957 Posts
My Mood: Tired

The crazy ones tweet more

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vis For This Useful Post:
GBMelBlount (09-05-2013), harrison'samonster (09-05-2013)
Old 09-05-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
steelax04
Head Coach
Supporter

HolmenKollen Ski Jump Champion!
Member Number: 12182
My Mood: Yeehaw

If Eagles fans used twitter like they do their phone into WIP (local radio station) they would have ran away with the top spot.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:42 AM   #5
VaDave
Team Owner

Member Number: 479
Thanked 2,090 Times in 1,136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
Steelers fans are very passionate.

They are also the most whiney, unappreciative, un understanding, and impatient fans in the league. Superbowl victories are their birthright, and when they don't get one, they can't deal with it in a rational manner.

Everybody sucks. Head coach can't motivate a 5 string rookie offensive tackle and a corner brought in off the street to play like all pros, so he sucks. The DC, with a top 5 D is senile. An injured QB, playing when he should be sitting out is vilified because he can't play as well as he did before the injury. We have a weekly game time Chinese fire drill on the OL, so therefore our running backs suck. On and On and On...

The outpouring of angst over last years 8-8 was totally beyond absurd. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see this is a team ( despite vehement denials from the FO) in full rebuilding mode and has been since 2010. Sorry, when you replace 15-16 players a year for 3 years, it's rebuilding, not reloading.

Folks, It tikes time, seasons to rebuild. And like most teams that go through this process, losses come, and you deal with it. Players come and go. Some settle in and play well, some move on. Eventually, the right combination will show up.

For heavens sake Steeler Nation LIGHTEN UP!!!
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to VaDave For This Useful Post:
43Hitman (09-05-2013), Acerero72 (09-05-2013), GBMelBlount (09-05-2013), harrison'samonster (09-05-2013), pczach (09-05-2013), Rabbit (09-05-2013), stairway27 (09-05-2013), SteelCityMom (09-05-2013)
Old 09-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #6
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDave View Post
They are also the most whiney, unappreciative, un understanding, and impatient fans in the league. Superbowl victories are their birthright, and when they don't get one, they can't deal with it in a rational manner.

Everybody sucks. Head coach can't motivate a 5 string rookie offensive tackle and a corner brought in off the street to play like all pros, so he sucks. The DC, with a top 5 D is senile. An injured QB, playing when he should be sitting out is vilified because he can't play as well as he did before the injury. We have a weekly game time Chinese fire drill on the OL, so therefore our running backs suck. On and On and On...

The outpouring of angst over last years 8-8 was totally beyond absurd. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see this is a team ( despite vehement denials from the FO) in full rebuilding mode and has been since 2010. Sorry, when you replace 15-16 players a year for 3 years, it's rebuilding, not reloading.

Folks, It tikes time, seasons to rebuild. And like most teams that go through this process, losses come, and you deal with it. Players come and go. Some settle in and play well, some move on. Eventually, the right combination will show up.

For heavens sake Steeler Nation LIGHTEN UP!!!
You sound very passionate about this.

~ 3 Doors Down

The Following User Says Thank You to GBMelBlount For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (09-05-2013)
Old 09-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #7
VaDave
Team Owner

Member Number: 479
Thanked 2,090 Times in 1,136 Posts

Not really..... I've never been a big fan of mass hysteria...
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VaDave For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (09-05-2013)
Old 09-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #8
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Not really..... I've never been a big fan of mass hysteria...
You screamed at the end of your post.

I felt your passion.

~ 3 Doors Down

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GBMelBlount For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (09-05-2013), SteelCityMom (09-05-2013)
Old 09-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,794 Times in 4,466 Posts

Quote:

LIGHTEN UP!!!
dont forget our front office and all their suspect moves and the scouting department that needs to change.

oh and fire the conditioning coaches and impliment a training regimen for woodley et al.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:24 AM   #10
Men of Steel
Team Captain

Member Number: 13746
My Mood: Amused

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
"Science" proves what we already know - Steelers fan are manic after wins and very depressed after losses

The NFL's Most Unstable Fan Bases

[I]

The results, Tripathi said, could reflect fans' expectations. The Steelers, for instance, entered last season coming off a 12-4 record, but staggered to an 8-8 finish.
Steelers barely miss playoffs... and then we begin talking about the stupidest things... such as, but not limited to, Mike Tomlins 1,000 yard gaze