Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 09-16-2013, 11:34 PM   #1
dcsteel5804
Starter

Member Number: 9373
Default A Thin Line Between Winning and Losing

This was something that Bill Cowher said many times, and probably other's too, but its proves to be true. The line between victory and defeat is paper thin. Unfortunately for the Steelers and their fans, we've been coming in on the wrong side of that line for over a year now.

Game one this year, ball inside the five yardline, poised to score a touchdown, there a bad exchange between Quarterback and Runningback and boom, at minimum, a ten point swing. The Steelers lost the game by 7. Get at least a field goal in that situation and we win by 3. I understand I'm projecting, but, still, there's merrit in this assessment.

Game two, David Paulson fumbles around the twenty yardline. Not only is fumbling bad enough, but he doesn't have enough sense to cover it up (it was about 1 foot away from him). He just gets up and acts like nothing happened. Turnover again. At minimum, 10 point swing. The Steelers lost by 10. Again, projecting out that things would have transpired similarly, but you could argue that its a tie ball game at the end of regulation and we at least have a shot to win it in OT

It looks like the Steelers are ill-prepared week in and week out. The offense is missing Heath, and offensive line, and a running back. The defense is tired from being on the field all day. Can't get turnovers. Even with all this, we are in games, and could even win them if we're not turning it over in the redzone.

I don't know. Looks like its gonna be a long season. What are your thoughts on my analysis, Steelers Nation?
dcsteel5804 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dcsteel5804 For This Useful Post:
Fire Arians (09-17-2013), PhantomJB93 (09-17-2013), SteelCity4Life (09-17-2013), teegre (09-17-2013)
Old 09-17-2013, 12:01 AM   #2
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,055 Times in 473 Posts
Default Re: A Thin Line Between Winning and Losing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsteel5804 View Post
This was something that Bill Cowher said many times, and probably other's too, but its proves to be true. The line between victory and defeat is paper thin. Unfortunately for the Steelers and their fans, we've been coming in on the wrong side of that line for over a year now.

Game one this year, ball inside the five yardline, poised to score a touchdown, there a bad exchange between Quarterback and Runningback and boom, at minimum, a ten point swing. The Steelers lost the game by 7. Get at least a field goal in that situation and we win by 3. I understand I'm projecting, but, still, there's merrit in this assessment.

Game two, David Paulson fumbles around the twenty yardline. Not only is fumbling bad enough, but he doesn't have enough sense to cover it up (it was about 1 foot away from him). He just gets up and acts like nothing happened. Turnover again. At minimum, 10 point swing. The Steelers lost by 10. Again, projecting out that things would have transpired similarly, but you could argue that its a tie ball game at the end of regulation and we at least have a shot to win it in OT

It looks like the Steelers are ill-prepared week in and week out. The offense is missing Heath, and offensive line, and a running back. The defense is tired from being on the field all day. Can't get turnovers. Even with all this, we are in games, and could even win them if we're not turning it over in the redzone.

I don't know. Looks like its gonna be a long season. What are your thoughts on my analysis, Steelers Nation?
First of all, Cowher said that because he played Martyball and spent way too much time trying to protect three-point leads. If he actually HAD a pair he'd have let his offense do whatever it was doing to get a lead in the first place and then let it build on it instead of turning chicken-shit and playing not to lose.

As far as the 2013 Steelers go -- we're done. It's over.

Haley's offense is a bust and Ben looks like a kid who lost both his puppy and his best friend. There's no discipline on this team (that's on Tomlin) and the defense is predictable and beatable.

But hey, the new punter looks good and based on what I've seen so far he'll be working quite a bit.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:04 AM   #3
Interceptor
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsteel5804 View Post
It looks like the Steelers are ill-prepared week in and week out. The offense is missing (key player), and offensive line, and a running back. The defense is tired from being on the field all day. Can't get turnovers. Even with all this, we are in games, and could even win them if we're not turning it over in the redzone.

I don't know. Looks like its gonna be a long season. What are your thoughts on my analysis?
I know what you're going through now and if you turn that gold into orange you'll know what I've been going through for the past couple of decades.
Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Interceptor For This Useful Post:
teegre (09-17-2013)
Old 09-17-2013, 12:36 AM   #4
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 17,449 Times in 7,372 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Spot on, dcsteel.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:46 AM   #5
PhantomJB93
Head Coach

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Yeehaw

Totally agree. The Redman/Roethlisberger fumble completely changed the Tennesse game and the Paulson fumble completely changed this game tonight. I don't like to blame the refs but in addition I'll throw in the Gilbert penalty that brought back a spectacular Roethlisberger to Brown pass in the second half, which was really the kind of play that jump-starts this offense. I thought it was a horrible call but nonetheless we were still in the game at that point and the penalty negated a great play and caused another 3 and out.

Through the first two weeks, it just seems like right when everything starts to click and we're about to take control, somebody does something incredibly stupid and the trickle-down from that boneheaded move takes us across that paper-thin line from winning to losing.

Also, I don't know a better place to discuss it but WTF is the rule on Paulson's fumble? I couldn't believe they just gave Cincy possession. It was obviously a fumble and I don't deny that but they blew the whistle well before either team made a move to recover the ball, yes it is likely Cincy would have recovered anyway but I thought there was a rule about if the play is dead before a team clearly recovers then possession remains with the offense. Just seems kind of unfair because Paulson didn't even try to go for the ball because he had already heard the whistle.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:49 AM   #6
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,381 Times in 2,284 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

the difference is good teams can overcome bad plays / bad calls. Fact of the matter is we don't have a good team right now. That can change over the course of the year, but I'm just saying it is what it is right now.

to steal a quote from jim mora, good teams don't say shoulda woulda coulda, they get it done
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:49 AM   #7
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Pre tripping penalty:
First down around the Bengals 35... and momentum.

Post tripping penalty:
33 yard pass comes back, plus 10 more yards for the penalty... making a 43 yard swing. It flipped the field (and, obviously, killed the drive).

It's a different game if that play stands. Alas...
Old 09-17-2013, 05:42 AM   #8
patsfaninpittsburgh
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24850

Sounds like the Rooney's need to breakout the check book and pay off the officials.

It worked in SB XL.
patsfaninpittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:16 AM   #9
WVABE
Team Captain

3D Field Goal - Pro Champion! 3D Field Goal - All Pro Champion!
Member Number: 24111

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfaninpittsburgh View Post
Sounds like the Rooney's need to breakout the check book and pay off the officials.

It worked in SB XL.
You need to be DeCastorated
WVABE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:30 AM   #10
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfaninpittsburgh View Post

It worked in SB XL.
The Steelers could always tape the other teams' practices... or, have their tight end murder someone.