Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 06-23-2005, 12:29 PM   #1
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328
Default Team Report

Steelers Team Report
Gerry Dulac (Fox Sports)
06/21/05

In all likelihood, the team will plan on starting the season with veteran Willie Williams at left cornerback. Williams was re-signed to a two-year contract in the offseason after starting 10 regular-season games in 2004 for an injured Chad Scott. Williams made few mistakes and played so well against the run that the team might be reluctant to start this season with Ricardo Colclough, a No. 2 pick in 2004. Colclough is faster and more athletic than Williams, but until Williams starts to slack off the coaches will stick with him. . . .

Veteran Charlie Batch will be in a quarterback battle at training camp, but it won't be with Tommy Maddox as the backup to Ben Roethlisberger. It will be to see if he or Brian St. Pierre, a former fifth-round pick, is the No. 3 quarterback. Batch has the edge because of experience and athleticism, though he hasn't played much in three seasons with the Steelers. He was not re-signed to challenge Maddox, who will be the No. 2 quarterback.

SCOUTING REPORT: The team likes CB Deshea Townsend so much because he is more than their best cover corner. Despite his size (5-10, 191), he is a good tackler and plays very well in run support. Townsend does a good job of transitioning from the receiver to the ball in coverage and has enough athleticism to make plays. What's more, the team likes to use him in the slot in nickel defense because he is such an effective blitzer.

OFFENSIVE ADJUSTMENTS: One of the things the coaches want to do with QB Ben Roethlisberger is open up the passing game in his second season. That's one reason they drafted TE Heath Miller with their No. 1 pick. Miller gives the team a reliable and athletic receiver in the middle of the field, and the coaches want to take advantage of his abilities. Jerame Tuman is a serviceable blocker and receiver, but he doesn't present a matchup problem like Miller.

INSIDE DISH: Do not be surprised if the team gives up on CB Ike Taylor, a fourth-round pick in 2003. The coaches have questioned his dedication, and he could become expendable because of the impressive showing by rookie CB Bryant McFadden in minicamp.

WIDE RECEIVERS ANALYSIS: Grade: B. The biggest question is the loss of Plaxico Burress and how he will be replaced. The free-agent addition of Cedric Wilson should add speed to the outside and help create more big plays.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:28 PM   #2
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Default Re: Team Report

Quote:
One of the things the coaches want to do with QB Ben Roethlisberger is open up the passing game in his second season.
Please tell me im not the only one worried by this...lets hope they learned from their mistakes 2 years ago when tommygun was in full swing and we went 6-10.

Open it up for Ben yes, give him more options and free reign on the playbook, but dont go overzealous w/ it. remember who we are and what our identity is.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 06:17 PM   #3
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Good point Blitz, we run we eat up clock and we play great D. But I`m curious!

Ike possibly getting cut is a surprise!
Old 06-23-2005, 11:41 PM   #4
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328

Quote:
INSIDE DISH: Do not be surprised if the team gives up on CB Ike Taylor, a fourth-round pick in 2003. The coaches have questioned his dedication, and he could become expendable because of the impressive showing by rookie CB Bryant McFadden in minicamp.
This is news, but I think we all saw this coming.....I would not be suprised if Lee Mays gets cut too.....
Old 06-23-2005, 11:49 PM   #5
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
Good point Blitz, we run we eat up clock and we play great D. But I`m curious!

Ike possibly getting cut is a surprise!
I think it really all depends on his camp..this is his year to step up and play well..he's got heated competition from Coclough and now mcfadden too.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:00 PM   #6
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Yeah maybe they are just trying to light a fire?
Old 06-24-2005, 03:18 PM   #7
bigbensgirl7
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity
Please tell me im not the only one worried by this...lets hope they learned from their mistakes 2 years ago when tommygun was in full swing and we went 6-10.

Open it up for Ben yes, give him more options and free reign on the playbook, but dont go overzealous w/ it. remember who we are and what our identity is.
I don't think the Steelers are going to stray far from our running game...Ii think it is just menaing that there will be more options and everyonce in a while we will pass on first and second down. I think they will still pride themselves in running the ball, wearing defenses down, and controlling the clock! I think it will just be utalized to throw the defenses off and not be as predictible, which will also help our running game to be even better than before, IMO!
Old 06-24-2005, 05:32 PM   #8
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbensgirl7
I don't think the Steelers are going to stray far from our running game...Ii think it is just menaing that there will be more options and everyonce in a while we will pass on first and second down. I think they will still pride themselves in running the ball, wearing defenses down, and controlling the clock! I think it will just be utalized to throw the defenses off and not be as predictible, which will also help our running game to be even better than before, IMO!
And hopefully what works during the season, will continue into the offseason.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:40 PM   #9
bigbensgirl7
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
And hopefully what works during the season, will continue into the offseason.
Yah...well that too! Good call Cleve :)
Old 06-24-2005, 10:59 PM   #10
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbensgirl7
Thats exactly what I hope will happen... Cowher has preached one thing year in and year out more than anything else..and thats Balance.. you've gotta have balance. the Steelers especially cannot survive w/out balance. We need everybody, 100% of the time, doing their job, and we need a good mix of different styles of play...yet never straying from what helps us run out the clock w/ 5 minutes to go.