Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 09-01-2006, 05:13 PM   #31
WWIIOwheelz
Team Captain

Member Number: 1323
Default Re: Super repeat? Unlikely, says Bettis

Duce is no Jerome, but please..... depth at RB isn't rocket science. Verron Haynes is the man, I just knew it when I saw him run last season. He's going to cause quite a stir this year.

No ill will towards JB, and I'll bet he is, in fact, motivating the guys. Cowher will use that as motivation more than once, I'm sure.

Still seems strange hearing him say that about a team that took him for a dream ride to end his career. I keep seeing him telling Hines, on the bench, "Get to the ONE! Get to the ONE!!1" *laughing*

Oh well.... we love him, but that kinda hurts.
WWIIOwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 06:28 PM   #32
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

I great players does noet always mean a great commentator. Take Rod Woodson, he is boring. Bettis must just be trying to make a name for himself, and wants to show that he is not bias, but he may be stupid. Or maybe he thinks that our whole team revolved around him??????????????????????????????????????????????///
Old 09-01-2006, 09:14 PM   #33
MattsMe
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2044

Some of these posts make me wonder if we're all reading the same article. It was funny that the title is "Super repeat? Unlikely says Bettis" yet nowhere in the article does Bettis say it is unlikely that we'll repeat. Many people seemed to have missed this. In any case, I'd rather hear Bussie being honest than being a homer.
MattsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 09:26 PM   #34
MattsMe
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2044

Quote:
His retirement, Bettis said, and the lack of a Bus-like halfback could cause the Steelers to alter their style.

"Obviously ... not having that closer in there late in games, that is significant in shortening games," he said. "If they don't have that ability to shorten the game in terms of that physical runner in between the tackles, that's going to be a really big problem. Looking at the roster, you'd say Duce Staley ... would have to fill that role."

"If he makes the team," interjected fellow NBC analyst Cris Collinsworth.

"Exactly," concluded Bettis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
Its pretty obvious that it was preplanned for Collinsworth to throw him a nice slow pitch regarding Staley taking over his duties as the short yardage guy - which he hit out of the park.

NM
Seriously though, um..what the hell are you talking about?
MattsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 09:28 PM   #35
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

Never thought i would see the day steeler fans talking bad about the BUS......Shame on you!!!
Old 09-01-2006, 09:34 PM   #36
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBENFASTWILLIE View Post
Never thought i would see the day steeler fans talking bad about the BUS......Shame on you!!!
Bettis the player and teammate I wouldnt shame. But him saying Cowher is retiring, we wont repeat and things like that. I don`t respect. Not to mention the SuperBowl, don`t get me wrong here, but the week of the SB, you would have thought it was about Bettis and only Bettis. Him uncharterictically walking around the field in a three piece double breasted suit and hat, the cigar he was carrying, it seemed the whole thing was about him and he wasnt taking it seriuosly. Maybe its just me.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:33 PM   #37
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

A few points.

I did not agree with Jerome's actions whe he responded to Cowher's retirement speculations. In my opinion, that's personal (between Cowher and the Rooney's). It's a little different than voicing your opinion on who he thinks is going to win the Super Bowl. Would I care if any other person speculated? No. But this guy just came off a Super Bowl victory. Obviously Cowher was not very pleased.

Personally, I don't care if he doesn't feel we can win the Super Bowl. Although I was sort of turned off by his comments which came off in my opinion as "you can't win a Super Bowl minus my presence". He's part of the media now, let him talk and speculate.

Then again, anybody is better than that blowhard, crackhead Michael Irvin.

I know Bettis is at a Greek God's status in this city, but that's just my two cents.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 09-01-2006 at 10:49 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 07:16 AM   #38
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
A few points.

I did not agree with Jerome's actions whe he responded to Cowher's retirement speculations. In my opinion, that's personal (between Cowher and the Rooney's). It's a little different than voicing your opinion on who he thinks is going to win the Super Bowl. Would I care if any other person speculated? No. But this guy just came off a Super Bowl victory. Obviously Cowher was not very pleased.

Personally, I don't care if he doesn't feel we can win the Super Bowl. Although I was sort of turned off by his comments which came off in my opinion as "you can't win a Super Bowl minus my presence". He's part of the media now, let him talk and speculate.

Then again, anybody is better than that blowhard, crackhead Michael Irvin.

I know Bettis is at a Greek God's status in this city, but that's just my two cents.
Your right. And Bettis needs to think and not just be a puppet and say things that people want to hear! Be your own man Bus. In the playoff run last year. It wasnt the Bus who stepped it up, actually he almost cost us the whole thing!
Old 09-02-2006, 07:28 AM   #39
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsMe View Post
Seriously though, um..what the hell are you talking about?
What I am saying is; that is was a pre-arranged set-piece involving Collinsworth and Bettis.

There was nothing spontaneous about it.

Jerome's whole point was based around there not being anyone on the roster that is capable of filling his role on the team, and that Staley is the nearest option.

Collinsworth then intimates that even Staley cannot fulfil this role as he spends so much time injured.

Which Jerome then 'grudgingly' agrees to.

Bottom line?

The Steelers will not be able to close out games using the running game without Bettis on the roster.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 12:01 PM   #40
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723

Bettis is using reverse psychology knowing that the Steelers always win when everyone says they will suck. I have already predicted that the Steelers will go 2-14 this year so, who's with me.....?
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote