Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 12-07-2013, 08:12 PM   #91
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,983 Times in 4,248 Posts
Default Re: 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Penguins Regular Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMom View Post
Anyone watching the game tonight? Shawn Thorton's a little pussy. Will definitely be a fine and suspension for him.
Typical Bruins bullshit. They're the "tough guys" of the NHL, but consistently play like the biggest assholes in the league.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
Lokki (12-08-2013), sluggermatt15 (12-08-2013)
Old 12-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #92
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts

I'm so pissed about that game in general. Fleury looked completely lost the last minute and a half. I was expecting to at least get a point out of that game, but no. Pens led most of the game 2-1, but the Bruins win 3-2 after a 6 on 5 goal at about 18:30, and then a Chara shot with :13 left.

Word on Orpik was he was sent to the hospital and was released last night and traveled home with the team. Bylsma thinks it could possibly be a concussion, but nothing conclusive yet. Glad he's ok and hope he doesn't miss too much time.

Neal will also have a disciplinary hearing, which is very warranted. I expect that crap out of someone like Cooke, not Neal.

BOSTON -- Penguins forward Brooks Orpik was released from the hospital and was traveling back to Pittsburgh with the team after leaving Saturday night's game on a stretcher.

Orpik was pulled to the ice and punched twice in the head by the Boston Bruins' Shawn Thornton in a crowd of players and officials during a stoppage in play at 11:06 of the first period of the Bruins' 3-2 win at TD Garden.

Thornton, dressed in a suit and speaking quietly in front of his locker after the game, said he was sorry for what happened.

"It's hard for me to talk about right now. I can't say I'm sorry enough. I'm sure I'll be criticized, but it's true," he said. "I felt awful. It wasn't my intention. I know Brooksie. I've gotten to know him the last seven years here. I skated with him during the lockout. I texted him a couple of times. It's not what I wanted to see or anyone to see."

Thornton was handed a match penalty and has been told he faces a disciplinary hearing.

Penguins coach Dan Bylsma believes Orpik could be concussed.

"I think he was out on the ice for a period of time, so I think that means he's got a concussion, for sure," he said.

This rematch of last season's Eastern Conference finals -- which the Bruins swept in four games -- was a physical game from the opening puck drop. On the first shift of the game, Orpik knocked the Bruins' Loui Eriksson from the game with a major check.

Eriksson had trouble getting to his feet, but made it to the bench before being taken to the locker room. He did not return to the game and the Bruins announced later that he had a concussion, his second in a five-week span.

Chris Kelly was also hurt, suffering an injury on a slash. Neither Eriksson nor Kelly will travel with the team on its upcoming four-game road trip.

After Eriksson left, Thornton attempted to fight Orpik, but the Pittsburgh defenseman did not oblige. Thornton was given two minutes for roughing.

The physical battle continued as the Bruins' Milan Lucic and Pittsburgh's Deryk Engelland dropped the gloves at 7:19 of the first period.

With the game tied 1-1, the Bruins' Brad Marchand was on the ice as the Penguins' James Neal skated by and appeared to intentionally knee Marchand in the head. As Marchand lay on the ice, play was stopped as he was tended to by a trainer.

Thornton then skated toward Orpik, grabbed him and threw him to the ice before he started to punch him.

Orpik's eyes were open but he was clearly out of it as he was tended to by trainers from both teams and a Bruins team doctor. After nearly 10 minutes, Orpik was taken off the ice on a stretcher.

"I feel awful. It wasn't my intention," Thornton said. "I know Brooksy and have gotten to know him over the last seven years. I skated with him in the summer, through the lockout and texted him a couple of times. I feel awful. It's definitely not what I want anyone to see.

"... It's always my job, I guess, to defend my teammates. But I prided myself for a long time to stay within the lines. It's hard for me to talk about right now. I can't say 'I'm sorry' enough."

When asked if he had an opinion on being kneed in the head by Neal, all Marchand said was: "No."

After the game it was announced that Neal will have a discipline hearing.

Incidentally, Bruins coach Claude Julien spoke at length after the team's morning skate in general about teams retaliating after clean hits.

After the game, Julien said he'd let the league look into it.

"As much as I would like to give my opinion, I don't think it's a wise thing to do right now," he said. "You've got to let [the league] take care of it. I think [the Orpik hit on Eriksson] is where it all started, obviously, and it kind of escalated to a point where I don't think anybody's proud of what's happened in this first period -- on both sides -- I would hope.

"It's a real unfortunate situation. The only thing I'm going to say is not let's look one way here. There's a lot of blame to go around and we all have to take responsibility for that."

Bylsma had no problems with the hit on Eriksson.

"I think the hit by Orpik is a good hockey hit," he said. "Eriksson touches the puck, the puck's coming around the wall there, it does take a strange bounce, he does touch the puck, and it's a good hit. Clearly they took exception to it. They put people on the ice to take exception to it, and the events that ensued, you saw Thornton."

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/10...aves-stretcher

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:41 AM   #93
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
Supporter

Member Number: 17947
Thanked 2,254 Times in 830 Posts
My Mood: Twisted

We have to figure out how to beat the Bruins.. I hate losing to them all of the time. and WTF Fleury?!?
Old 12-08-2013, 12:32 PM   #94
sluggermatt15
Team Captain

Member Number: 20316

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
Typical Bruins bullshit. They're the "tough guys" of the NHL, but consistently play like the biggest assholes in the league.
Amen. They can hit, but can't take a hit. Orpik's hit was legitimate. He didn't target the head or upperbody. It was just a big check open ice. I hope the NHL lays it down on Thornton. That was completely UNNECESSARY.
sluggermatt15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:14 PM   #95
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

I just realized that Tony Granato was the coach of the Avs when Bertuzzi broke Moore's neck after punching his head into the ice. He was all kinds of pissed off last night on the bench.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
Old 12-09-2013, 07:56 AM   #96
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Neal will have his phone hearing with the league today, so expect about 5 game suspension for him. Honestly, it should be more than that. I love him as a player, but he's got a lot of bad behavior (this will be his 2nd or 3rd suspension, fined once, warned a few times by the league)...you expect that out of someone like Cooke, who is supposed to get under people's skin. Not from one of your top players. He doesn't need to be doing this shit.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:16 AM   #97
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...it-fb-penguins

MORNING SKATE INFO
The injuries are piling up for the Pens, but they did have some good news on the injury front. Center Evgeni Malkin was on the ice for the team's morning skate AND participated in line rushes. James Neal did work on an extra unit line.

Here was the Pens workflow...

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Jokinen-Malkin-Megna
Conner-Sutter-Vitale
Adams-Sill-Kobasew
(Zolnierczyk, Neal)

Maatta-Letang
Niskanen-Engelland
Bortuzzo-Despres-Dumoulin

PP1: Malkin, Letang up top. Jokinen, Crosby & Kunitz down low.
PP2: Maatta, Niskanen up top. Sutter, Kobasew & Dupuis down low.

--Sam Kasan

DUMOULIN RECALLED
Orpik has been placed on IR. No surprise there. He's going to need time to get back to health. In the meantime, the Pens are now down three of their top-4 defensemen (Orpik; Rob Scuderi, ankle; Paul Martin, tibia). Due to the rash of injuries on D the team has recalled Brian Dumoulin from WBS.

Dumoulin, 22, has notched six points (1G-5A) in 22 regular-season games with WBS this year. He appeared in one preseason game for Pittsburgh, collecting one assist and finishing plus-1.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #98
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokki View Post
We have to figure out how to beat the Bruins.. I hate losing to them all of the time. and WTF Fleury?!?
its simple...just play their game....They have a way of getting into the Pens heads ans it works!

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:40 PM   #99
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Alright...so Neal is suspended 5 games (he got off light if you ask me).

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

Geno looks like he's ready to go for tonight

Coach Dan Bylsma told reporters in Pittsburgh that his lineup would be a game-time decision, but Malkin went through the morning skate in his usual second-line center spot, flanked by Jussi Jokinen and Jayson Megna.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

Penguins place Orpik on IR, recall Dumoulin

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?...d=nhl:topheads

Old 12-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #100
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Oh, and another thing. Fleury will be starting...again. CBJ has 4 of their highest paid players out tonight, and they are still going to play Fleury. Nothing against him, even after Boston, but they need to seriously start thinking about a different backup goalie if they don't trust Zatkoff enough. Can't be playing Fleury this much.