Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-17-2014, 10:44 AM   #141
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,145 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Re: 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Penguins Regular Season Thread

Despres and forwards Nick Drazenovic and Pierre-Luc Letorneau-LeBlond are being sent back to WBS. Bylsma's reasoning for Despres is that Martin is returning to practice and will possibly see game time next week. He feels that keeping Despres as an 8th defensemen won't get him enough practice time to develop. I guess the coaches were also displeased that he was "pouting" when being scratched, whereas Maata had a completely different reaction after he was scratched for a game (was the first person at practice the next day and was graded as the best defenseman in the next game).

I'd love to see Despres stay on, as I think he'd be a great talent for the future, but there's a good chance he gets traded by March.

Maatta is the player about whom Shero expects to field the most offers in upcoming trade talks, but Despres has become the defenseman he is believed to be most willing to part before the March 5 deadline.

Shero has moved a young defenseman — either a prospect of a player from the roster — at or just before the deadline in four of his seven previous seasons.

Shero is seeking to upgrade the third line, which Bylsma said has lacked an identity, and to possibly replace injured Pascal Dupuis (torn ACL), a top-line right winger likely out for the season.

The Penguins currently are holding their amateur scouting meetings in Las Vegas.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/...#ixzz2qaXqtsu6
Old 01-18-2014, 12:44 PM   #142
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

A refreshingly full practice this morning at Consol Energy Center. Chuck Kobasew, Paul Martin and Jayson Megna all returned to practice. James Neal, who missed Wednesday's game, was also present.

Lines looked like this:
Kunitz-Crosby-Megna
Jokinen-Malkin-Neal
Glass-Sutter-Pyatt
Adams-Sill-Kobasew
Orpik-Martin
Scuderi-Letang
Maatta-Niskanen
Engelland-Bortuzzo
Fleury, Zatkoff
Old 01-19-2014, 11:52 AM   #143
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Sidney Crosby Named Captain of the Canadian Olympic Team
Sunday, 01.19.2014 / 11:05 AM / News

Pittsburgh Penguins center Sidney Crosby was named captain of the 2014 Canadian Olympic Team, it was announced this morning by Hockey Canada.

This is the first time in Crosby’s career that he has been named Canada’s team captain during international play.

Crosby was an alternate captain for Canada at the 2010 Olympic Games in Vancouver when he secured the gold medal for his country by scoring the overtime game-winning goal in a 3-2 gold medal game defeat of the United States.

Crosby also served as Canada’s alternate captain at the 2006 World Championships when he became the youngest player to ever lead that tournament in scoring with 16 points (8G-8A) as an 18 year old.

Next month, Crosby, who leads the NHL scoring race with 68 points, will be suiting up for Team Canada at the Olympics for the second time. He will be joined by his linemate, Chris Kunitz, who will be making his Olympic debut.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...it-fb-penguins
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelCityMom For This Useful Post:
SteelersCanada (01-19-2014)
Old 01-19-2014, 01:57 PM   #144
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,717 Times in 4,784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMom View Post
Sidney Crosby Named Captain of the Canadian Olympic Team
Sunday, 01.19.2014 / 11:05 AM / News

Pittsburgh Penguins center Sidney Crosby was named captain of the 2014 Canadian Olympic Team, it was announced this morning by Hockey Canada.

This is the first time in Crosby’s career that he has been named Canada’s team captain during international play.

Crosby was an alternate captain for Canada at the 2010 Olympic Games in Vancouver when he secured the gold medal for his country by scoring the overtime game-winning goal in a 3-2 gold medal game defeat of the United States.

Crosby also served as Canada’s alternate captain at the 2006 World Championships when he became the youngest player to ever lead that tournament in scoring with 16 points (8G-8A) as an 18 year old.

Next month, Crosby, who leads the NHL scoring race with 68 points, will be suiting up for Team Canada at the Olympics for the second time. He will be joined by his linemate, Chris Kunitz, who will be making his Olympic debut.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...it-fb-penguins
He was really the only way to go to avoid unnecessary distractions. Also,

Penguins open door for Sidney Crosby to carry Canadian flag at Olympics if COC wants him

BY STEVE SIMMONS
TORONTO SUN

All Sidney Crosby has to do is ask — or first, be asked.

That’s what it will take to have him carry the Canadian flag in the opening ceremony of the Winter Olympics in Sochi.

He has to want to do it. The Canadian Olympic Committee has to choose him to do it. The rest will take care of itself.

Penguins general manager Ray Shero told the Toronto Sun by email Saturday that he agreed with the Boston Bruins move to allow captain Zdeno Chara to miss a National Hockey League game so the captain could carry the Slovakian flag in the opening ceremony on Feb. 7.

But what about his captain?

“Hard to turn down that opportunity,” Shero wrote. “Agreed with Boston on letting (Chara) go.”

Crosby would be an ideal choice to carry the flag, which will likely be decided among bobsledder Kaillie Humphries, hockey’s Hayley Wickenheiser, skier Erik Guay and speed skaters, Christine Nesbitt and Charles Hamelin. That didn’t seem in any way possible until the Chara move was agreed to by the Bruins.

Now that the way has been cleared it is up to the COC to make the call: The flag bearer will be announced Thursday. Is there time to make it Crosby? And does he want to do it?

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/01/18...-coc-wants-him
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
SteelCityMom (01-19-2014)
Old 01-19-2014, 02:06 PM   #145
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

It's their last game before the break, I wouldn't have a problem with it. If it was offered to him, I think he should accept it. Never know if you're going to have an opportunity like that again. They should be able to handle the Rangers without him.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:23 PM   #146
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Well, Pens had a pretty rough time after their 4 day break. Despite getting both Neal and Martin back (aside from Bennett, we have a complete roster now), they fell flat against the Panthers...losing 5-1. Not much to say about it, it was just a terrible game.

On a more positive note, Tomas Vokoun has been off of blood thinners for a week, and will leave his cozy Florida home to start skating in Pittsburgh tomorrow! Bylsma states that once his blood levels are normal, he can start taking shots.

And not Pens news, but funny nonetheless (because I hate Torts and relish in his angry face), the incidents between the Flames and Canucks the other night led to Hartley (Flames coach) being fined $25k, and Torts being suspended from the team for 15 days (6 games) without pay.

Here's what happened at the beginning of the game...

Here's what Torts got suspended for...

And blast from the past, Clint Malarchuk, getting involved. I wish he'd gotten his hands on Tortorella. For those who may not remember, Malarchuk was the Sabres goalie that had his jugular vein slit open during a game in '89, and was spurting blood onto the ice. Dude cheated death...Tortorella wouldn't have survived him.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:20 AM   #147
IowaSteeler927
The Corn Shucking Hippie
Supporter

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 3,740 Times in 1,692 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMom View Post
Well, Pens had a pretty rough time after their 4 day break. Despite getting both Neal and Martin back (aside from Bennett, we have a complete roster now), they fell flat against the Panthers...losing 5-1. Not much to say about it, it was just a terrible game.

On a more positive note, Tomas Vokoun has been off of blood thinners for a week, and will leave his cozy Florida home to start skating in Pittsburgh tomorrow! Bylsma states that once his blood levels are normal, he can start taking shots.

And not Pens news, but funny nonetheless (because I hate Torts and relish in his angry face), the incidents between the Flames and Canucks the other night led to Hartley (Flames coach) being fined $25k, and Torts being suspended from the team for 15 days (6 games) without pay.

Here's what happened at the beginning of the game...

Here's what Torts got suspended for...

And blast from the past, Clint Malarchuk, getting involved. I wish he'd gotten his hands on Tortorella. For those who may not remember, Malarchuk was the Sabres goalie that had his jugular vein slit open during a game in '89, and was spurting blood onto the ice. Dude cheated death...Tortorella wouldn't have survived him.
I watched the video of Malarchuk getting an artery severed. That was really, really bad. Enough to give me the chills and I've seen some bad injuries first hand.
IowaSteeler927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:43 AM   #148
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaSteeler927 View Post
I watched the video of Malarchuk getting an artery severed. That was really, really bad. Enough to give me the chills and I've seen some bad injuries first hand.
It definitely does give one chills. He's very lucky to be alive. The trainer who got to him first was a former Vietnam field doctor and acted very quickly. Also, the end of the ice he was on made a big difference. If he'd been on the other side of the ice, he may not have made it in time. I'm not sure if his interview(s) on it are up on YT still, but it's some pretty powerful stuff.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:47 AM   #149
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

The Pens had a MUCH better game last night against the Habs, beating them 5-1.

And boooo refs, booo! Let Fleury fight!

As humorous as it was, it's probably a good thing the refs held him back. Budaj is a trained martial artist.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:15 PM   #150
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,717 Times in 4,784 Posts

The only team that can compete and take a series to 7 games with the big boys in the West is the Penguins. Here's a (not so bold) prediction: the 'Guins are going to play the Blues for the Cup.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote