Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-30-2014, 08:44 AM   #321
TheWarDen86
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 3,015 Times in 1,288 Posts
My Mood: Cynical
Default Re: 2013-2014 Pittsburgh Penguins Regular Season Thread

Slightly OT - I never realized how annoying fans could be until the Rangers won a couple of playoff match ups. Holy crap!

I don't think I can easily forgive the Pens for allowing this to happen.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:41 PM   #322
Confounding Factor
Team Captain

Member Number: 25099
My Mood: Worried

Shudda been the Pens year . . .
Confounding Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 12:23 PM   #323
Lady Steel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 16396
Thanked 5,128 Times in 1,982 Posts
My Mood: Angelic

Jim Rutherford To Be Penguins Next GM, Bylsma Fired
June 6, 2014

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – The Pittsburgh Penguins have hired Jim Rutherford as their new general manager and fired coach Dan Bylsma.

The former Carolina Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford was announced as the Pens next GM during a press conference Friday.

The Penguins have announced a 1 p.m. press conference.

The Penguins announced via Twitter prior to the press conference that coach Dan Bylsma has also been fired.

Pens CEO David Morehouse said it’s about rebuilding.

“We haven’t had the success we wanted over the past five seasons,” he said.

Morehouse said Rutherford flew into Pittsburgh Thursday to meet with him and Mario Lemieux, as well as sign his contract.

Rutherford said during Friday’s press conference that he’s excited to work the Penguins and players such as Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin.

“This is a job that most GMs would like to have,” Rutherford said. “And I was very lucky and very fortunate at this point in my career that I’ve been given this opportunity.”

Rutherford went on to say that the deal happened very quickly after meeting with Pens officials Saturday.

“The whole thing transpired really in a matter of a couple days,” he said.

Rutherford, 65, is a former Penguins goalie, and was the general manager in Carolina for some 20-years.

He did help get Carolina to two Stanley Cup finals, including a win in 2006.

Other rumored candidates for the job included Pens assistant general manager Jason Botterill, NBC analyst Pierre McGuire, Tampa Bay Lightning assistant general manager Julien BriseBois and a number of others.

Rutherford stepped aside from GM duties, but was expected to stay on with Carolina as the club’s president.

He was replaced by Hurricanes legend and former Penguin Ron Francis.

Rutherford also played for the Detroit Red Wings, Toronto Maple Leafs and Los Angeles Kings.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2014/...guins-next-gm/
Lady Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Steel For This Useful Post:
Lokki (06-06-2014)
Old 06-06-2014, 12:28 PM   #324
Lady Steel
Living Legend
Supporter

Penguins hire former Hurricanes; Bylsma fired
By Rob Rossi
Published: Friday, June 6, 2014

Jim Rutherford, whose Carolina Hurricanes won the Stanley Cup in 2006 but missed the NHL playoffs the past five seasons, is the new Penguins general manager.

Team CEO David Morehouse introduced Rutherford on Friday afternoon at Consol Energy Center. Rutherford addressed the media at the news conference and expressed his gratitude to the Penguins ownership.

Rutherford also announced that coach Dan Bylsma has been dismissed.

The announcement came three weeks to the day that Morehouse relieved former general manager Ray Shero of his duties.

Rutherford, a goalie for the Penguins from 1971-73 and in the 1973-74 seasons, had spent 20 seasons as the general manager of Hartford/Carolina before resigning in late April. Then, Rutherford kept his role as Carolina president but in an advisory capacity.

Rutherford, 65, had two years remaining on his contract with Carolina. He also was a minority owner of the Hurricanes.

Shero was fired May 16 after eight seasons. His Penguins teams never missed the playoffs and won the Stanley Cup in 2009 — a year after losing in the previous Cup Final.

Rutherford built Hurricanes teams that won three division crowns, two conference championships, won the Cup in 2006 and lost in the 2002 Final. Before stepping aside for new Carolina general manager Ron Francis, Rutherford had been Carolina's only general manager since the franchise's relocation from Hartford in 1997.

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/...#axzz33pcClwMH
The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Steel For This Useful Post:
Lokki (06-06-2014)
Old 06-06-2014, 12:30 PM   #325
Lady Steel
Living Legend
Supporter

Penguins fire head coach Dan Bylsma
By Chris Peters
June 6, 2014

On the same day the organization is expected to announce Jim Rutherford being hired as general manager, the Pittsburgh Penguins have fired Dan Bylsma, the club announced Friday.

Bylsma's future was left in doubt after the Penguins fired general manager Ray Shero. The plan was to leave it to the incoming GM to decide the fate of the head coach. Perhaps this was ownership's preference all along, but Rutherford apparently decided to let Bylsma go.

The head coach led the team to the Stanley Cup in 2009 after replacing Michel Therrien mid-season. The Penguins have been a postseason disappointment since, mostly.

Even though Bylsma was left safe after the firing of Shero, it never seemed like he'd be long for his job.

He went 252-117-32 over 400 games in the regular season and earned the Jack Adams Award as NHL coach of the year in 2010-11. Most clubs would be happy with that kind of record, especially with the number of injuries the Penguins have had to deal with over the years, but the postseason disappointments proved too great.

The club made it to the Eastern Conference finals last season, but had two first-round exits and two second-round departures in the five postseasons since winning it all in 2009.

The former NHL journeyman began his head coaching career in the Penguins organization in the 2008-09 season, serving as the bench boss for the club's American Hockey League affiliate in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pa. Later that year, he was called up to replace Therrien, completing a rapid rise to NHL head coach. The season then ended with the Stanley Cup.

The 43-year-old coach started his coaching career in the Anaheim Ducks system as an AHL assistant. He then moved on to the NHL as an assistant coach for the New York Islanders during the 2005-06 campaign before joining the Pens organization for two seasons as an AHL assistant. It's been a quick run to the top.

There were reports about a falling out and miscommunication between Bylsma and star players like Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, which Crosby denied. Either way, the Penguins were not getting the job done in the postseason.

It's hard to define how much of that was Bylsma's fault and how much blame rested on the shoulders of Shero, who didn't provide the team much depth. Additionally, Marc-Andre Fleury's postseason goaltending was abysmal between the Cup run and this year.

The Penguins clearly want to try something new, which they have a right to do, but they probably should have gotten rid of Bylsma when they fired Shero instead of dragging it out.

The Pens now enter a crowded market of teams looking for a new head coach, joining the Vancouver Canucks, Carolina Hurricanes and Florida Panthers.

Bylsma probably moves high up the lists of any of those teams and likely won't be out of work next season.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-...ach-dan-bylsma
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lady Steel For This Useful Post:
Lokki (06-06-2014), NSMaster56 (06-06-2014), SteelersCanada (06-07-2014)
Old 06-06-2014, 12:35 PM   #326
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
Supporter

Member Number: 17947
Thanked 1,715 Times in 660 Posts
My Mood: Cynical

See you later, Disco Dan. Good luck with your next team.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:44 AM   #327
CrickRat23
Bench Warmer

Breakout Champion! Drunk Driver Championship Champion! Sonic Champion! Street Fighter Champion!
Member Number: 24843

Time to start a new chapter for the Pens. Let's hope the new coach can light a fire under this team's ass and have them play at a high level every game.

Was it just me or, or did anybody else think the Pens took to many games off last season.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:12 AM   #328
NSMaster56
Team Owner

Member Number: 23979
Thanked 3,281 Times in 1,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrickRat23 View Post
Was it just me or, or did anybody else think the Pens took to many games off last season.
It was just you, because I thought they've taken too many games off these last five seasons.
NSMaster56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:39 PM   #329
CrickRat23
Bench Warmer

Breakout Champion! Drunk Driver Championship Champion! Sonic Champion! Street Fighter Champion!
Member Number: 24843

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSMaster56 View Post
It was just you, because I thought they've taken too many games off these last five seasons.
I believe you are correct.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:42 PM   #330
Lady Steel
Living Legend
Supporter

NHL Network bringing in Bylsma for Game 3

Former Penguins coach to work as studio analyst for Rangers-Kings game in Stanley Cup Final

NEW YORK —Former Penguins coach Dan Bylsma is set to work for the NHL Network as a studio analyst.

The network plans to include the coach fired by Pittsburgh on Friday when it broadcasts live from outside Madison Square Garden before Game 3 of the Stanley Cup finals.

Bylsma led Pittsburgh to the 2009 Stanley Cup title and coached the U.S. Olympic team in Sochi.

http://www.wtae.com/sports/nhl-netwo...tsburgh#!WHXa4