Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2014 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-29-2013, 08:35 PM   #11
cbrunn
Starter

Member Number: 23984
Default Re: Early draft mocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
Scenario 1 - Picking 6th - 9th

1. Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA.
2. Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix, FS, Alabama.
3. Louchiez Purifoy, CB, Florida.

Anthony Barr looks like he's in the same caliber that Von Miller and Aldon Smith were coming out of college.

"HaHa" playing with Shamarko Thomas is just awesome.

Purifoy has been in a nosedive since the beginning of the season. It's been hard to watch him play so poorly for as long as he has been. Poor angles, missed tackles, dropped INTs and the lack of explosive plays have sent him tumbling down the boards. I don't think I've ever seen someone drop so far in such a short amount of time. It's not even completely out of the question to have him mocked in the fourth at this point, albeit unlikely. This kid was once a mid first round prospect, but because the Florida defense has just come off its hinges, it's made that entire defense look bad. Roberson is in the same boat as Purifoy.

Scenario 2 - Picking 3rd Overall

1. Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon
2. Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington
3. Marcus Roberson, CB, Florida.

It's not debatable - if we're picking 3rd overall and Mariota is on the board, we have to take him. There's no if's, ands or buts about it. He's going to be a franchise Quarterback in the NFL. I had serious concerns and doubts about this kid after Oregon's offensive attack in 2012 was dump-offs and screens for the majority of their passing attack, but this kid came into 2013 with a vengeance it seems. He's accurate in and out of the pocket and can scramble for huge gains. He's more accurate than RG3 with better touch on his passes. While he's not as fast outside the pocket, he's a mini-Ben in the fact that he can escape, look down field and hit his target. This kid could come into 2014 and start for the Steelers, but that's the beautiful thing about this pick - he's not going to have to. He can sit behind Ben for a year and sponge off of him. He can learn and pick up the subtleties of the game behind one of the greatest in it. Then, he can follow in his footsteps.

Benjamin had Miller, and Mariota will have ASJ. He just makes plays. He's sure-handed and doesn't need to be the focal point of an offense, but is a hell'uva complementary piece. Picture Heath Miller lite, and you have this kid. He won't be a Gronkowski or Hernandez, but he'll be a safety blanket.

Marcus is in the same boat as Purifoy. A poor 2013 has sent his stock in a serious downward spiral. I could legitimately copy and paste what I said about Purifoy and have it apply to Roberson. Roberson and Allen provide a solid 1-2 punch at CB. He'd come in for Dime packages to start, then eventually beat out Gay for the Nickel and take over for Ike when he hangs 'em up.

I have this scenario second because it's far less likely, albeit possible. Roethlisberger misses time every year and there's no reason to think this season is going to be different. We're already in a nightmare so far, and if Ben goes down, there's no telling what will happen. The first two picks of the draft would be Teddy Bridgewater to Jacksonville and Clowney to Tampa. And, no, I wouldn't trade the third overall pick if Mariota is there.
I love Scenario 2 ...

Would you Trade Ben to Arizona for their 1st and 2nd and a 2013 2nd or 3rd depending if they make the playoffs or something like that?? ...
cbrunn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cbrunn For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (11-06-2013)
Old 10-29-2013, 10:23 PM   #12
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,138 Times in 3,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrunn View Post
I love Scenario 2 ...

Would you Trade Ben to Arizona for their 1st and 2nd and a 2013 2nd or 3rd depending if they make the playoffs or something like that?? ...
Absolutely, but only if scenario 2 plays out. If we get Mariota, I'd trade Ben to Arizona for a first in a heartbeat. Think about it this way, they're going to end up having a top 10 pick as well which means that there's a very real chance in that scenario, albeit very unlikely, that we end up with Mariota and Lewan. Franchise QB and LT. Not too shabby.

Sadly that will never happen.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2013, 06:45 AM   #13
IowaSteeler927
Head Coach

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 1,726 Times in 806 Posts
My Mood: Sleepy

1st Round 4th-6th Overall Pick (Guessing...)
Cyrus Kouandjio OT Alabama
or
Jake Matthews OT Texas A&M

Both of these guys have the intangibles to be franchise LTs in the NFL. Of course we thought that about Mike Adams and he hasn't panned out so far. I think the Steelers definitely take an OT in the draft. It adds depth to the offensive line which has had trouble staying healthy, and it should make for some great competition in camp.

2nd Round 36th Overall Pick
RaShede Hageman DT/DE Minnesota
or
Bradley Roby CB Ohio State

Hageman is just nasty and I think he could play DE in our 3-4. I'm not a personal fan of Roby after a cheap shot or two in the Iowa -Ohio State game a couple of weeks back but admittedly the guy is physical, he flies to the ball, and hits like a mack truck. All the things I like to see in a Steeler corner.

4th Round

CJ Fiedorowicz TE Iowa
and
Chris Borland ILB Wisconsin

Fiedorowicz has freakish intangibles and he's the blue chip kind of guy that the Steelers seem to like to draft and develop at the TE position. With Heath Miller as a mentor I think he can be scary good. Chris Borland has been an underrated animal in the Wisconsin defense. He is slightly undersized but he's just one of those blue chip kind of guys that seems to have a knack for making plays.

I'd also like to add one guy who I think is going to be a UFA that I think the Steelers will sign will be James Morris ILB Iowa. Another guy kind of the same as Chris Borland out of Wisconsin. Undersized and underrated. I think he'll fall late into the 7th round or go undrafted. Been watching him at Iowa his whole college career. Fits the mold of a typical ILB out of Iowa. Has a nose for the football and is always around it making plays. Could be a diamond in the rough kind of guy. Maybe I'm wrong but he'd be worth a look as a 7th rounder or UFA for sure.

Last edited by IowaSteeler927; 10-30-2013 at 06:59 AM.
IowaSteeler927 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IowaSteeler927 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #14
PhantomJB93
Head Coach

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Yeehaw

I LOVE the idea of Mariota but I don't see him leaving Oregon, he won't be 1st overall this year with Bridgewater but very easily could be next year. Although if Oregon wins the NC this year, that could change his decision. If he did enter the draft and was available, I don't think I'd hesitate to take him.

But since I don't expect that to happen, my ideal mock draft right now is:

1. Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M
2. Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech
3. Any DL
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PhantomJB93 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #15
Soberdisposition
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24720

I love the Roby pick, definitely a Steelers corner! He will be a 2nd/3rd rounder i think , heres hoping he flies under the radar and we can pick him up with a comp.

Hageman is one nasty SOB ! Would the teams picking at the end of the 1st pick him up though?

If we pick either Cyrus Kouandjio or Taylor Lewan in the first id be pretty happy, as has been touched upon though if Mariota is there how can we pass on him? We could pull an Oregon 1-2 punch if he declares, pick up Mariota in the 1st DAT in the 2nd then pick up a faller on defence such as Roberson in the 3rd. DAT in the slot at an NFL level intrigues me! I cant see Purifoy falling below the 2nd round hence the Roberson pick,he is too athletic and too talented to do so ( saying that if he tanks the combine.....)

IF we did pick Mariota (or another 1st round QB) what would you do with Ben? Let Mariota sit under him or look at trading him for picks and going all in with Mariota?

Likewise would you trust our staff with an offensive lineman who needs some work at the next level? (Lewan and Kouandjio both fit into this IMO)

Would you guys consider Colt Lyerla if he escapes jail time and can prove that he is clean? Hell of a talented player as an UDFA to sit under Heath and come in for two TE sets...
The Following User Says Thank You to Soberdisposition For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #16
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,138 Times in 3,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soberdisposition View Post
I love the Roby pick, definitely a Steelers corner! He will be a 2nd/3rd rounder i think , heres hoping he flies under the radar and we can pick him up with a comp.
Roby is arguably a top 15 pick at this point. I wish he was a second round pick though.

I think you're right - he'd look awesome in black and gold.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #17
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

Quote:
Scenario 1 - Picking 6th - 9th

1. Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA.
2. Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix, FS, Alabama.
3. Louchiez Purifoy, CB, Florida.

Anthony Barr looks like he's in the same caliber that Von Miller and Aldon Smith were coming out of college.
I like Barr but my only question is where do you play him. I'm not seeing the Steelers dumping Woodley.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:34 AM   #18
Soberdisposition
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24720

Quote:
Roby is arguably a top 15 pick at this point. I wish he was a second round pick though.

I think you're right - he'd look awesome in black and gold.
I think ekpre olomu will go before him, I can see either him or one of the Florida CBS falling.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:51 PM   #19
cbrunn
Starter

Member Number: 23984

Ekpre is just all around a better player then Roby , besides for athletic ability

And Lewnan is a no go , he is not a franchise LT

And Cyrus might not be s LT jn the league

That CB , Denard from Michigan state is a rd 2 kind of guy , plays like a steeler
cbrunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:02 PM   #20
PhantomJB93
Head Coach

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
I like Barr but my only question is where do you play him. I'm not seeing the Steelers dumping Woodley.
In the event Barr or Clowney is selected, I don't think shifting Jarvis Jones inside is the worst idea in the world. His outside rushing skills need some work but he has the instincts and physicality to play ILB.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote