Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 10-10-2013, 10:03 AM   #11
Terminator
Team Captain

Member Number: 24492
Default Re: Clark - Ben should tone things down

Ryan Clark needs to shut the fuck up and worry about doing his job. Does he even have more than 3 tackles this year?
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Terminator For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (10-10-2013), FrancoLambert (10-10-2013), Gnutella (10-10-2013)
Old 10-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #12
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,471 Times in 3,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
I mean, normally the stuff that comes out of the dudes mouth is right on point. I guess everyone can be stupid.
It is not team oriented but in terms of Clark's self-interest it may not be stupid to draw attention to yourself. He was working at ESPN during the bye week and is very interested in getting a broadcast job after he retires

Steelers safety Ryan Clark is serious about a post-NFL career in broadcasting and has frequently appeared on ESPN, including a weeklong stint last May. With Pittsburgh on a bye, Clark returns to Bristol later this week for another round of reps. He’ll appear on Numbers Never Lie, NFL Live and SportsCenter on Thursday as well as SportsCenter and NFL kickoff on Friday. “When you come in as an athlete at ESPN, people treat you a little differently,” Clark told SI.com a couple of months ago. “They know they are getting a commodity along with giving you an opportunity to work at something that may be your craft once you retire. But I want to get the nuts and bolts of this as if I were doing this on a day to day basis.”

Clark said he and his wife Yonka DVR everything he does on-air and evaluate his performance as a broadcaster. For the past three years, Clark has worked in Pittsburgh television and also on the Pittsburgh-based Sportsradio 93-7 The Fan. “I want longevity in this field, and to have longevity, you can’t just be one of the rotating talking heads,” Clark said.Because if you are, when the next safety comes out with a good opinion, speaks well and has knowledge of the game, then you are out of there. Look at Mike Mayock: He grinded and worked his way into that position at the NFL Network to where he is basically irreplaceable.”

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/10/02/nfl-me...chard-deitsch/

One rap on recently retired players or former coaches (e.g. - Gruden) is that they hesitate to criticize current players or coaches

To establish their credibility it helps to criticize those you played with, such as when Ray Lewis made his nonsensical comments about the Ravens lacking "leadership" when Jacoby Jones was conked on the head with a champagne bottle by a stripper

At least Ray-Ray is retired - Clark presumably knows he is done after this year and is establishing his credibility now since he is looking for work in 2014. He may not care if he burns bridges in Pittsburgh to get a job
Lady Steel (10-10-2013), PeckerWood (10-10-2013)
Old 10-10-2013, 11:19 AM   #13
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

I like Ben's response. He basically told Clark "fu*k off" in a polite way.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kan_t For This Useful Post:
AndyWitmyer (10-13-2013), Lady Steel (10-11-2013)
Old 10-10-2013, 11:26 AM   #14
BritishSteel
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 878
My Mood: Amused

The whole frigging team should shut it's mouth and keep its head down. Clark is brighter than this so maybe it is an ESPN door-knocker, but he's hardly the first person to say something dumb this season - wasn't BB whining about not understanding Bell's work ethic a week or two back?

Is it really so hard for the entire squad to pull its ears in and just spend the bye week getting to a vaguely competitive state?
Old 10-10-2013, 11:28 AM   #15
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishSteel View Post
The whole frigging team should shut it's mouth and keep its head down. Clark is brighter than this so maybe it is an ESPN door-knocker, but he's hardly the first person to say something dumb this season - wasn't BB whining about not understanding Bell's work ethic a week or two back?
No he didn't. He just said he didn't know if Bell would be ready because one day he practiced fully and next day he sit.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #16
BritishSteel
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 878
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
No he didn't. He just said he didn't know if Bell would be ready because one day he practiced fully and next day he sit.
No, what he actually said was

"Honestly, I have no idea with him," Roethlisberger said of Bell on KDKA-FM in Pittsburgh. "You can't get a read on him. One day, he's practicing. One day, he's not; one day, he's going hard, the next day, he's not. I wish I could."

"If he was a guy like Heath Miller that you knew was busting his butt every day..." Roethlisberger said. "Le'Veon is a rookie, I don't know him quite well enough yet. But if he can come back and help us, we'll take him."

That may not sound like criticism to you, but it did to the press. I'm not taking a swing at BB, nor Clark for that matter, I just think it would be better right now if it didn't look like the team were sniping at each other.
Atlanta Dan (10-10-2013), EbonySteel86 (10-10-2013), kan_t (10-10-2013), Lady Steel (10-11-2013)
Old 10-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #17
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishSteel View Post
No, what he actually said was

"Honestly, I have no idea with him," Roethlisberger said of Bell on KDKA-FM in Pittsburgh. "You can't get a read on him. One day, he's practicing. One day, he's not; one day, he's going hard, the next day, he's not. I wish I could."

"If he was a guy like Heath Miller that you knew was busting his butt every day..." Roethlisberger said. "Le'Veon is a rookie, I don't know him quite well enough yet. But if he can come back and help us, we'll take him."

That may not sound like criticism to you, but it did to the press. I'm not taking a swing at BB, nor Clark for that matter, I just think it would be better right now if it didn't look like the team were sniping at each other.
Thanks. Didn't notice that.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #18
EbonySteel86
Team Captain

Member Number: 20340

Clark is right, Ben does improvise too much. Been doing it for years, even Ben said that's how he plays and he's not gonna change. It used to work, but as of today he's leading our team in turnovers. Now I'm not a genius, but if what he's been doing for years isn't working anymore, well he might want to try something different. Cause contrary to what some believe, the defence he faced last week is NOTHING compared to what's coming this week. If your Oline is struggling, get rid of the ball quickly.
EbonySteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:07 PM   #19
williar
Water Boy

Member Number: 5544

So what! Ben isn't above reproach. His play sucks as much as anybody's and he's the QB. Ben needs to alter his style of play and quit turning the ball over. Somebody needs to call this fat, jug-head for screwing up the team.
williar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to williar For This Useful Post:
SkipBayless69 (10-10-2013)
Old 10-10-2013, 12:17 PM   #20
GodfatherofSoul
Head Coach
Supporter

Spellbound Champion! Add Like Mad Champion! Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion! Snow Blitz Champion! Commando Champion!
Member Number: 14842
Thanked 1,958 Times in 944 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Oh my - Ryan Clark appears to be more interested in trying to get a broadcast job next year than keeping his concerns inside the team

Clark: Big Ben should tone things down

Veteran safety Ryan Clark did not back down from comments he made on ESPN on the Steelers' bye week that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has to "tone down" his game if the Steelers are going to be successful.

Clark said Roethlisberger has a tendency to improvise too much at times and that style might have something to do with the team's first 0-4 start since 1968.

"We have to tone Ben down in a sense and say, 'Hey, right now, we're not a good enough football team for you to try to extend plays, for us to take sacks, for us to have turnovers,' " Clark said on ESPN.

Clark was asked Wednesday to clarify his remarks.

"When asked a question about Ben, I said, we need to protect Ben," Clark said. "And, when I say that, [I mean] defense, we need to make plays so he doesn't feel like he has to do everything. Offensively, we need to protect him so he can get the ball out on his fifth step; receivers need to get open, running backs need to run the ball.

"But, in that as well, I feel like he needs to understand that, as constructed right now, we aren't playing well enough right now as a team to where we can take sacks and have turnovers. So, as a team, that's a team solution.

"But the quarterback has to spearhead it. He's our guy, he's our leader, he makes the plays, he's the reason we have two Super Bowl wins and been to three. We have to find ways to help him not feel like he has to do that."

When told of Clark's comments, Roethlisberger said he is not going to change his style.

"I didn't hear about [that]," Roethlisberger said. "It is what it is. I'm just going to play the game the way that I play it and try not to turn it over."

When asked if he appreciated a teammate commenting on his play, Roethlisberger responded: "That's the great thing about this country we live in. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and allowed to say what they want. If Ryan feels that way, then that's fine."

It was the second consecutive week that there has been some back and forth between two of the team's captains. After the Steelers lost to the Minnesota Vikings to fall to 0-4, Roethlisberger said the Steelers might be the worst team in the league. Clark said Roethlisberger was being "dramatic" when he said that. Roethlisberger later clarified his comments and said he was viewing it strictly from a win-loss perspective.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...s-down-706993/

So much for Clark's pre-season concern about eliminating last year's "fractured" locker room

Given the sort of year Clark is having perhaps he should just shut up
I know what Clark is trying to say, but without Ben pushing it a little we'd have zero offense. It's not like we have a decent run game and short passing game we can fall back on.