Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 10-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #21
Lokki
Jerkimus Maximus
Supporter

Member Number: 17947
Thanked 1,657 Times in 641 Posts
My Mood: Cynical
Default Re: Player Development Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
I've come to the conclusion you contribute zero. Just sarcasm and stupidity. Grow up
Surely all 35,000+ of his posts can't be all sarcasm and stupidity.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #22
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,058 Times in 2,604 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
you don't see what goes on in practice. maybe wheaton makes bone headed mistakes in practice and hasn't earned the coaches confidence...
or maybe he's just not better than AB,sanders, or cotchery...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelstoned1972 View Post
So I guess even after a win , there has to be a thread bashing someone in the Steelers organization.
yep. thats what its all about. even after a win people still feel the need to rail on the steelers and say they are idiots who have no clue in what they are doing.

in trashing "player development" the OP proves he lacks even the most rudimentary knowledge of development or assembling a 46 man roster for gameday.

what is wheatons position?
who is the primary back up for?
does he know all X, Y, and Z positions? play calls, sight adjustemnts etc.?
If brown gets injured does sanders take over or does sanders keep his spot and jerrhico move up?
how many WR's are dressed on gameday?

The op must forget that in 2010 we had two very talented rookie receivers and every day in practice, they were battling and competing to see who would get a hat on sundays, and who would be in sweats. while they were both behind ward and wallace they are our #1 & #2 receivers today.

i think it was gruden commenting on the Dallas rookie wr saying he hadnt even seen a route tree while in college.

does wheaton even know the route tree? wallace didnt. thats why he was a one trick pony. he never learned all 3 positions.

WR's often take 3 years out of college before they finally "get it" and the game starts coming to them. that is because they are essentially learning 4 different positions if they want to be good.

wheaton has probly been slowly groomed as the 4th wr in 4 wide packages (and learning back up for sanders), and then he got hurt.

he is not immediately going to supplant cotchery in the slot who is also the primary back up to both sanders and brown.

thats just how it is. wheaton will develop as fast as he proves he can handle it.

big $$$ contracts signed by Holmes, randle el, nate washington, burress, ward, wallace, brown is proof that our WR player development is just fine.

i dont need some message board poster looking to rant and vent to tell me otherwise.

put that contribution in your pipe and smoke it.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:48 AM   #23
Steelstoned1972
UNLEASHING HELL SINCE '72
Supporter

Member Number: 16903
Thanked 2,614 Times in 1,529 Posts
My Mood: Psychedelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
yep. thats what its all about. even after a win people still feel the need to rail on the steelers and say they are idiots who have no clue in what they are doing.

in trashing "player development" the OP proves he lacks even the most rudimentary knowledge of development or assembling a 46 man roster for gameday.

If brown gets injured does sanders take over or does sanders keep his spot and jerrhico move up?

The op must forget that in 2010 we had two very talented rookie receivers and every day in practice, they were battling and competing to see who would get a hat on sundays, and who would be in sweats. while they were both behind ward and wallace they are our #1 & #2 receivers today.

i think it was gruden commenting on the Dallas rookie wr saying he hadnt even seen a route tree while in college.

does wheaton even know the route tree? wallace didnt. thats why he was a one trick pony. he never learned all 3 positions.

WR's often take 3 years out of college before they finally "get it" and the game starts coming to them. that is because they are essentially learning 4 different positions if they want to be good.

wheaton has probly been slowly groomed as the 4th wr in 4 wide packages (and learning back up for sanders), and then he got hurt.

he is not immediately going to supplant cotchery in the slot who is also the primary back up to both sanders and brown.

thats just how it is. wheaton will develop as fast as he proves he can handle it.

big $$$ contracts signed by Holmes, randle el, nate washington, burress, ward, wallace, brown is proof that our WR player development is just fine.

i dont need some message board poster looking to rant and vent to tell me otherwise.

Exactly and saying wr A and Wr B are doing well why isnt Wheaton , is either stupidity or fishing for a reason to bitch .

Where is angry chair? maybe 3 years from now when Wheaton is a stud he can call out this negative Nancy poster .

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Buddha Bus (10-15-2013), harrison'samonster (10-15-2013), Hawaii 5-0 (10-15-2013)
Old 10-15-2013, 02:07 PM   #24
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 17,437 Times in 7,367 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowherpower View Post
I don't remember that at all. I remember him showing flashes and most people being very excited once they saw how athletic and all over the field he was. That team had much bigger issues than Troy being a bust.

Keenan Allen was more polished than Wheaton. The only knock on him that made him drop was his injury and whether he'd have the speed to necessary to move that big body in and out of breaks. He does. The Chargers took that chance and they lucked out. Wheaton showed plenty in the pre season. He is behind a few experienced, talented WR. I think Wheaton will be a guy to blow the top off defenses but why have him in if Ben has so little time to even attempt a deep pass, let alone to a rookie still learning the playbook.

I do think the team has made some questionable decisions regarding players and their lack of development especially in the secondary and offensive line is troubling. But injuries have played a role too
TROY: It might just have been the message board that I was on back then (very negative that year).

WHEATON: Yep. Chargers got a steal. But, like you said, I like what I've seen from Wheaton.

O-LINE: Agreed. Something just ain't right. I'm not sure what the cause is, but the end result sucks.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:49 PM   #25
BowCatShot
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24236

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
TROY: It might just have been the message board that I was on back then (very negative that year).

WHEATON: Yep. Chargers got a steal. But, like you said, I like what I've seen from Wheaton.

O-LINE: Agreed. Something just ain't right. I'm not sure what the cause is, but the end result sucks.
Correct me if I'm wrong. I vaguely remember there being concerns about the number of concussions that Troy had while in college. Because he was such a hard hitter. There was talk about trying to coach that out of him. Seems to have been successful.
BowCatShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:01 PM   #26
ebsteelers
Living Legend

SpeedPong Champion! X-Training Champion!
Member Number: 18215
Thanked 2,149 Times in 1,255 Posts

if you dissagree with the steelers fever folk or the front office...
then

ebsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:14 PM   #27
cowherpower
Banned

Member Number: 24556

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

wow. a very well thought out post by Mr. Hipchest. Take our the customary insult and you might actually get some more fans around here. Kudos
cowherpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:50 PM   #28
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowCatShot View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong. I vaguely remember there being concerns about the number of concussions that Troy had while in college. Because he was such a hard hitter. There was talk about trying to coach that out of him. Seems to have been successful.
Yep.
He had five in three years at USC.

He's learned to hit with his shoulders... but, occasionally, he will still get a concussion (because, he hits so damn hard).
Old 10-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #29
WVABE
Team Captain

3D Field Goal - Pro Champion! 3D Field Goal - All Pro Champion!
Member Number: 24111

Troy Troy, where the hell is MOYE.
WVABE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WVABE For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (10-15-2013)
Old 10-15-2013, 05:35 PM   #30
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVABE View Post
Troy Troy, where the hell is MOYE.
Moye was out there last week.

But, with SanderS, AB, and Heath taking getting most of the looks, there were few looks (& no passes) going in Moye's direction.