Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2013, 09:11 AM   #1
Steelstoned1972
UNLEASHING HELL SINCE '72
Supporter
 
Steelstoned1972's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hall of Fame city , Canton Ohio
Posts: 3,350
Gender: Male
Member Number: 16903
Thanks: 5,321
Thanked 3,314 Times in 1,850 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Roethlisberger can't carry the team

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...ics-nfl-week-7

Do you agree with the Balt. columnist or do you agree with the Steel curtain writer ?

I'll agree that Flacc0 cant carry his team . He needs Lunar landers to retrieve his moon balls .

I'll preface this with no QB can carry his team entirely . They all need help . If they didn't need help brady , manning , and Brees would've had more than one superbowl win apiece in the last 10 years.

I'll say Ben has a much better probability of putting his team on his back than Flacco though.
__________________
STEELSTONED1972
Steelstoned1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steelstoned1972 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (10-16-2013)
Old 10-16-2013, 09:17 AM   #2
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter
 
Atlanta Dan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,415
Member Number: 728
Thanks: 2,649
Thanked 8,484 Times in 3,731 Posts
Default Re: Roethlisberger can't carry the team

The author of the article is Mike Preston of the Baltimore Sun

Preston has hated on Ben for years, particularly with regard to Ben allegedly milking injuries

Apparently the latest Ravens fan talking point now that they overpaid for Flacco is that the Steelers overpaid for Ben

Thanks for the link to the Steelers page article - as I have stated before, columnists like Preston throw out chum that is mentioned elsewhere with the goal of getting readers to link back to their article with the comments intended to spark outrage - these guys are measured by how many page hits they get
__________________
“For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Atlanta Dan For This Useful Post:
43Hitman (10-16-2013), austinfrench76 (10-20-2013), Buddha Bus (10-16-2013), harrison'samonster (10-16-2013), Steelstoned1972 (10-16-2013)
Old 10-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
Steelstoned1972
UNLEASHING HELL SINCE '72
Supporter
 
Steelstoned1972's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hall of Fame city , Canton Ohio
Posts: 3,350
Gender: Male
Member Number: 16903
Thanks: 5,321
Thanked 3,314 Times in 1,850 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Roethlisberger can't carry the team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
The author of the article is Mike Preston of the Baltimore Sun

Preston has hated on Ben for years, particularly with regard to Ben allegedly milking injuries

Apparently the latest Ravens fan talking point now that they overpaid for Flacco is that the Steelers overpaid for Ben

Thanks for the link to the Steelers page article - as I have stated before, columnists like Preston throw out chum that is mentioned elsewhere with the goal of getting readers to link back to their article with the comments intended to spark outrage - these guys are measured by how many page hits they get
Mike Preston , we have a message for you !

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
__________________
STEELSTONED1972
Steelstoned1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Steelstoned1972 For This Useful Post:
Fire Arians (10-16-2013), harrison'samonster (10-16-2013), Hawaii 5-0 (10-16-2013), Neil-Still-Rules-14 (10-16-2013), tanda10506 (10-16-2013)
Old 10-16-2013, 09:28 AM   #4
Fire Haley
Banned
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 10,359
Member Number: 763
Thanks: 53
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts
Default Re: Roethlisberger can't carry the team

fuck the Baltimore Browns
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fire Haley For This Useful Post:
43Hitman (10-16-2013), Blacksburg Zach (10-16-2013), harrison'samonster (10-16-2013), Hawaii 5-0 (10-16-2013), Lokki (10-16-2013), Steelstoned1972 (10-16-2013), tanda10506 (10-16-2013)
Old 10-16-2013, 09:38 AM   #5
Blacksburg Zach
Team President
Supporter
 
Blacksburg Zach's Avatar
 
Super Mario Flash Champion! Ragnarok Champion!
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Posts: 2,245
Gender: Male
Member Number: 24584
Thanks: 1,650
Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,074 Posts
My Mood: Tired
Default Re: Roethlisberger can't carry the team

Even the best of quarterbacks need some kind of help. Nobody wins football games as an individual.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Pessimism is not analysis. Vitriol is not discussion. Jaded opinion is not fact.
Wins are a team statistic, not a quarterback statistic.

Winning big will not earn a team two wins, nor will winning ugly give a team only half a win.
Blacksburg Zach is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blacksburg Zach For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (10-16-2013), steelax04 (10-16-2013), tanda10506 (10-16-2013)
Old 10-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #6
FanSince72
Team Owner
 
FanSince72's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 2,844
Member Number: 17502
Thanks: 576
Thanked 2,037 Times in 878 Posts
Default Re: Roethlisberger can't carry the team

I think it boils down to what people consider to be a "good" quarterback.

Most writers, analysts and other critics of the game stress statistical performance when assessing the value of a player and when doing so, players like Peyton and Brady always become the standard by which all QB's are measured.

But there are no statistics for "slugging percentage", or clutch performance, or determination, innovation and improvisation and it is in these other categories that the true value of most players can be found.

For example, two QB's may throw for 300 yards in each of the games in which they play. One of them throws short passes to RB's and slot receivers while the other throws deep passes of 50 yds. or more. The short-passer gets his yardage from what receivers do after catching the short pass while the other gets most of his yardage from the passes themselves. Both are 300-yard passers but one is a game-manager and the other would likely be called a "pure-passer".

Is one better than the other? And if so, how?
Can the "bomber" get it done when the game is on the line or is the "manager" the better choice for clutch situations?

I really don't think there's an answer for either because each plays in his own particular set of situation's and circumstances and each plays a different role.
I've said before that Terry Bradshaw's name doesn't usually show up in any of the "Top Five" categories for QB's yet I (and many others) consider him to be the best "money" QB in the game. In his case, he threw 222 career TD's and 218 INT's -- statistically crummy (or at least very average) but his philosophy was often regarding a deep pass thrown on 3rd-down as no different than a punt and if it was picked off, it was usually deep in an opponent's end of the field where the defender was tackled and so, "no harm/no foul". But Bradshaw had two excellent WR's and knew that if they couldn't catch the ball, they'd make sure that if a defender did, he wouldn't advance it very far. That was the trust that they had with each other and it worked for them.

In Roethlisberger's case, he's more comfortable when things break down and he has to move around. I personally believe that he actually "sees" the field better when he's mobile than he does from a pocket position and though he doesn't have Bradshaw's arm, he can be deadly accurate up to around 30 yards or so. Consequently, he tends to develop chemistry with his receivers that focuses on that 30 yard swath of the field and he depends on them to "read" the field as well as himself and THAT particular set of circumstances works for him.

The point is that "carrying" a team falls to no single player but is rather the result of the relationships, the philosophy and the chemistry that each team develops and nurtures. A lot of fans say that they wish they had Peyton or Brady of some other big-time QB but the truth is that they may end up being disappointed because though the stats (and the presumed talent/leadership) may be evident in their current situations, it doesn't always translate into success somewhere else.

Peyton may be the possible exception, but all rules have exceptions and Peyton is more of a Player/Coach than just a QB. Of course for all his gaudy statistical glory, Paeyton has just the one SB win and for a long time in his career he was known as "One-and-done" because of his failure to translate all of his regular season heroics into sometimes even just ONE playoff win.

So is it the QB who carries the team or the team that carries the QB?
I think it's both and that reality changes over time and throughout a player's career and is never an "Either / Or" proposition.
__________________
http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag37/JPsuff/comment2a.jpg
FanSince72 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FanSince72 For This Useful Post:
43Hitman (10-16-2013), harrison'samonster (10-16-2013), Rotorhead (10-16-2013), Steelstoned1972 (10-16-2013)
Old 10-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #7
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter
 
SteelersCanada's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8,240
Member Number: 24400
Thanks: 6,341
Thanked 11,680 Times in 4,769 Posts
Default Re: Roethlisberger can't carry the team

A well known Steelers-shit talking Baltimore columnist is saying stupid things again? Say it ain't so!
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (10-16-2013), stb_steeler (10-16-2013)
Old 10-16-2013, 09:56 AM   #8
kan_t
Assistant Coach
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,262
Member Number: 21653
Thanks: 331
Thanked 655 Times in 364 Posts
Default Re: Roethlisberger can't carry the team

No one can carry the team single handedly. No matter how important a QB is in today game, it's still a team sport.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kan_t For This Useful Post:
Blacksburg Zach (10-16-2013), harrison'samonster (10-16-2013), steelax04 (10-16-2013)
Old 10-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #9
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter
 
steelfury02's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 6,007
Member Number: 6076
Thanks: 5,722
Thanked 4,893 Times in 2,310 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: Roethlisberger can't carry the team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
I think it boils down to what people consider to be a "good" quarterback.

Most writers, analysts and other critics of the game stress statistical performance when assessing the value of a player and when doing so, players like Peyton and Brady always become the standard by which all QB's are measured.

But there are no statistics for "slugging percentage", or clutch performance, or determination, innovation and improvisation and it is in these other categories that the true value of most players can be found.

For example, two QB's may throw for 300 yards in each of the games in which they play. One of them throws short passes to RB's and slot receivers while the other throws deep passes of 50 yds. or more. The short-passer gets his yardage from what receivers do after catching the short pass while the other gets most of his yardage from the passes themselves. Both are 300-yard passers but one is a game-manager and the other would likely be called a "pure-passer".

Is one better than the other? And if so, how?
Can the "bomber" get it done when the game is on the line or is the "manager" the better choice for clutch situations?

I really don't think there's an answer for either because each plays in his own particular set of situation's and circumstances and each plays a different role.
I've said before that Terry Bradshaw's name doesn't usually show up in any of the "Top Five" categories for QB's yet I (and many others) consider him to be the best "money" QB in the game. In his case, he threw 222 career TD's and 218 INT's -- statistically crummy (or at least very average) but his philosophy was often regarding a deep pass thrown on 3rd-down as no different than a punt and if it was picked off, it was usually deep in an opponent's end of the field where the defender was tackled and so, "no harm/no foul". But Bradshaw had two excellent WR's and knew that if they couldn't catch the ball, they'd make sure that if a defender did, he wouldn't advance it very far. That was the trust that they had with each other and it worked for them.

In Roethlisberger's case, he's more comfortable when things break down and he has to move around. I personally believe that he actually "sees" the field better when he's mobile than he does from a pocket position and though he doesn't have Bradshaw's arm, he can be deadly accurate up to around 30 yards or so. Consequently, he tends to develop chemistry with his receivers that focuses on that 30 yard swath of the field and he depends on them to "read" the field as well as himself and THAT particular set of circumstances works for him.

The point is that "carrying" a team falls to no single player but is rather the result of the relationships, the philosophy and the chemistry that each team develops and nurtures. A lot of fans say that they wish they had Peyton or Brady of some other big-time QB but the truth is that they may end up being disappointed because though the stats (and the presumed talent/leadership) may be evident in their current situations, it doesn't always translate into success somewhere else.

Peyton may be the possible exception, but all rules have exceptions and Peyton is more of a Player/Coach than just a QB. Of course for all his gaudy statistical glory, Paeyton has just the one SB win and for a long time in his career he was known as "One-and-done" because of his failure to translate all of his regular season heroics into sometimes even just ONE playoff win.

So is it the QB who carries the team or the team that carries the QB?
I think it's both and that reality changes over time and throughout a player's career and is never an "Either / Or" proposition.
I really just don't want to read your psycho-history lesson yet again fence rider
__________________

I'VE GOT SOME YOUTHFUL ADJUSTMENTS FOR 'DAT AZZ
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:46 AM   #10
FanSince72
Team Owner
 
FanSince72's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 2,844
Member Number: 17502
Thanks: 576
Thanked 2,037 Times in 878 Posts
Default Re: Roethlisberger can't carry the team

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
I really just don't want to read your psycho-history lesson yet again fence rider
And yet you did and then took the time to post a comment

I'm flattered.
__________________
http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag37/JPsuff/comment2a.jpg
FanSince72 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanSince72 For This Useful Post:
tanda10506 (10-16-2013)
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts