Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 10-17-2013, 11:07 AM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,397 Times in 3,686 Posts
Default Brown making sure Steelers don't miss Wallace

For all the player defections and all the problems that led to their 1-4 start this season, one player the Steelers do not miss is wide receiver Mike Wallace.

Not the way Antonio Brown is playing, they do not.

Brown not only is back from what was, for him, a disappointing 2012 season, he leads the AFC in receiving yards per game and has become so important to the Steelers they have devised new ways to deploy him.

His performance has blown away the one Wallace has displayed in Miami after the Dolphins acquired him for $60 million over five years.

Brown leads the AFC with an average of 99.6 yards receiving and 8.3 receptions per game. He has 41 catches for 498 yards and two touchdowns.

Wallace? He's not exactly lighting things up for the Dolphins with 22 receptions for 281 yards and one touchdown after leaving the Steelers as a free agent this year. In the meantime, the Steelers are trying to spring Brown into secondaries any way they can.

"We're moving him around, [throwing] short passes and long passes," quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said. "They're doubling him. They're doing a lot of different things. It's a credit to him and the work that he's putting in to get open and to other guys. He's not open if [tight end] Heath Miller isn't creating some issues and getting attention."

Miller led the Steelers with 71 receptions in 2012, and they elected him as their MVP. Brown was MVP in 2011, when he had 1,108 yards receiving. But with Miller and Wallace and Emmanuel Sanders and Jerricho Cotchery surrounding him in 2012, he dropped off to 787 yards, although he also missed three games.

That drop-off seemed about to continue when Brown had five catches for 71 yards in the opener and caught just two passes for 22 yards in the first half in the second game in Cincinnati. He approached coordinator Todd Haley and expressed his unhappiness over not seeing the ball more.

Since then, he has been on fire. He averaged six receptions for 61.3 yards through the first two games. Over the past three, he has averaged 113.3 yards and nearly 10 catches a game.

"I just think he gave me more opportunities and put me in position to be successful," Brown said. "Coach Haley is doing a good job of mixing up the formations, getting me inside, moving me a little bit in the slot so guys can't get a bead on me. Those are things we're going to have to do."

Roethlisberger predicted the other day that things might open up for others because defenses will pay more attention to Brown as his numbers thrive. Brown listed some of what defenses have done to try to thwart him:

"Usually, they assign a guy to press me and a guy to help over top," he said, explaining it as a true double-team where the corner stays with him the whole way, or tries to. "They try to use their hand, strike me, try to get me out of my routes."

Little of it has worked, and Brown continues his march toward what would be Steelers records for receiving yards and receptions.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...allace-707880/
43Hitman (10-17-2013), harrison'samonster (10-17-2013), Lady Steel (10-17-2013), StainlessStill (10-17-2013)
Old 10-17-2013, 11:12 AM   #2
GodfatherofSoul
Head Coach
Supporter

Spellbound Champion! Add Like Mad Champion! Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion! X-Training Champion! Commando Champion!
Member Number: 14842
Thanked 2,365 Times in 1,152 Posts
Default Re: Brown making sure Steelers don't miss Wallace

I don't get O coordinators. Are they trying to hide their talent or something? Why the hell would the OC need to be told "hey, do something to get your best WR touches." I'm not just talking about Haley either.
harrison'samonster (10-17-2013)
Old 10-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,361 Times in 4,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodfatherofSoul View Post
I don't get O coordinators. Are they trying to hide their talent or something? Why the hell would the OC need to be told "hey, do something to get your best WR touches." I'm not just talking about Haley either.
last week in the booth, cowher told a story about polamalu early in his career.

troy was supposed to be playing deep middle safety, but came up to the line of scrimmage pre-snap and got a sack or stopped a run.

going back to the sideline, bill asked him what the hell he was doing, that he was supposed to be deep safety.

troy said to not worry, that he told the CB to drop back and cover his ground.

cowher said "thats a really good idea but from now on can you let us [coaches] know before hand?"

now its kind of a staple of the defense.

coaches arent always the smartest people in the stadium. many are ex players. there are times a player can see things develop on the field that coaches cant see from the sideline or until the black and white photographs come down from up above.

thats why its a team game. many times the coaches are relying just as much on the players to put them in a good position, as the player is relying on the coaches.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #4
SteelBlaze1
Draft Prospect
Supporter

Member Number: 16550

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
last week in the booth, cowher told a story about polamalu early in his career.

troy was supposed to be playing deep middle safety, but came up to the line of scrimmage pre-snap and got a sack or stopped a run.

going back to the sideline, bill asked him what the hell he was doing, that he was supposed to be deep safety.

troy said to not worry, that he told the CB to drop back and cover his ground.

cowher said "thats a really good idea but from now on can you let us [coaches] know before hand?"

now its kind of a staple of the defense.

coaches arent always the smartest people in the stadium. many are ex players. there are times a player can see things develop on the field that coaches cant see from the sideline or until the black and white photographs come down from up above.

thats why its a team game. many times the coaches are relying just as much on the players to put them in a good position, as the player is relying on the coaches.
I think that is all the more reason that Haley should let Ben run the no-huddle offense a little more.
SteelBlaze1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
EbonySteel86
Team Captain

Member Number: 20340

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlaze1 View Post
I think that is all the more reason that Haley should let Ben run the no-huddle offense a little more.
Noooooooo!!!!! In this case, Ben is NOT smarter than Haley!
EbonySteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EbonySteel86 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2013, 05:40 PM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,361 Times in 4,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonySteel86 View Post
Noooooooo!!!!! In this case, Ben is NOT smarter than Haley!
come on... we all love it when ben takes over the reigns, puts it into high gear, and goes into the "point 'n grunt" offense.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #7
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 13,722 Times in 5,642 Posts
My Mood: Amazed

Antonio Brown proves his worth as top receiver

By Alan Robinson
Published: Thursday, Oct. 17, 2013

Antonio Brown's projected 2013 statistics and how they would compare to the best in Steelers history:

Catches 131 112 (Hines Ward, 2002)

Yards Receiving 1,594 1,398 (Yancey Thigpen, 1997)

Yards/Catch 12.1 27.6 (Jimmy Orr, 1958)

Antonio Brown was the Steelers' No. 2 receiver last season. Now, he's No. 1 in the NFL.

Brown, a player ascending on a team that's been descending, doesn't lead the league in catches, yards, yards per catch, touchdowns or yards per game.

Put all of his numbers together — 41 catches on 53 targets, 498 yards, averages of 12.1 per catch and 99.6 per game — and he easily leads Pro Football Focus' wide receiver efficiency rankings. His overall ranking of 13.5 is well ahead of Chicago's Brandon Marshall (11.5).

Brown is surpassing all of his previous three seasons as well as the numbers being put up by his predecessor Mike Wallace, who signed a $60 million deal with Miami but is the NFL's third-to-last ranked receiver at No. 104. Wallace has 22 catches for 281 yards and a touchdown.

“He's our No. 1 guy,” offensive coordinator Todd Haley said Thursday. “When Mike left, he knew he had an opportunity to step into that role. He's embraced it, he's worked hard and he's making plays. That's tough to do when you're ‘the' guy because that's the guy that generally sees double coverage.”

His teammates say Brown isn't taking any downs off, is running his routes with greater precision than before and staying on the same page with Ben Roethlisberger, who — thanks in part to Brown — has thrown for 1,053 yards in his last three games.

“Whatever he calls, I'm going to do the best job of running it, whether it's long or short, give every detail on that route and, hopefully, that can get me downfield,” said Brown.

At his current pace, Brown not only would easily surpass his previous career highs of 69 catches for 1,108 yards in 2011, he would fly past Hines Ward's team record of 112 catches in a season.

“Right now, me and Ben are on the same page, and the receivers as a whole are doing a good job of working together,” Brown said. “I'm doing a good job of preparing every week and being assignment-sound and being in areas Ben wants me to be in.”

Brown had 66 catches for 787 yards and five touchdowns last season when he missed three games and was bothered for the second half of the season by an ankle injury.

That's why, when asked what has transformed Brown from a good receiver into an elite one, teammate Jerricho Cotchery said, “Nothing.”

“Last year, I feel like he was on the same pace early on in the year to have 100 catches, but he went down with an ankle injury that he battled through the entire year,” Cotchery said, pointing to Brown's 36 catches in his first five games in 2012. “I feel like there would have been a lot more consistency in the offense if he were healthy last year, but he wasn't. At this point he's healthy, and we're reaping the benefits of it.”

Brown apparently went to Haley and asked for a greater role in the offense after he had six catches for 57 yards during a 20-10 loss in Cincinnati on Sept. 16, though both deny there was any confrontation. The following week, Brown made nine catches for 196 yards against the Bears.

“He's lightning fast, lightning quick, (has) quick hands, very good hands and (is) very good after the catch,” Haley said. “You can throw him a short one, and he can run long.”

And take it all the way to No. 1 in the league.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz2i1QHSCap
Old 10-17-2013, 08:50 PM   #8
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 10,743 Times in 4,288 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

What Brown really needs to do now is become a go to guy on 3rd downs. Eventually he's going to have to start scoring TD's as well before we can start putting him at the top of the league.

I'm really happy about how good he's been so far this year. After watching the last few games I am pretty sure he can improve to the point that we can put him near the top of the list.
Hawaii 5-0 (10-17-2013), jacobo (10-18-2013)
Old 10-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #9
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
...quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said.

"They're doubling him. They're doing a lot of different things.

It's a credit to him and the work that he's putting in to get open and to other guys.
Not to mention the work he puts in at PRACTICE.

Brown busts his ass in practice and leads by example.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GBMelBlount For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (10-17-2013), Hawaii 5-0 (10-17-2013), Steelstoned1972 (10-17-2013)
Old 10-17-2013, 10:08 PM   #10
Steelstoned1972
UNLEASHING HELL SINCE '72
Supporter

Member Number: 16903
Thanked 2,943 Times in 1,693 Posts
My Mood: Psychedelic

I admit it , I love AB. Minus the 1st down antics .

On a side note , Sanders numbers mirror Wallace's . What a fucking bargain! Even if he leaves next year we can still get a compensatory pick the following year.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk