Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 10-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727
Default Emerging Stars: CAM HEYWARD

With all the hype over our additions on the offensive side of the ball-- just wondering if anybody has been paying attention to, or noticed the play of Cam Heyward since being given the starting role?

Dude has silently been having a big impact at DE and seems to have plugged up our leaky run-defense. Granted, the Ravens have been struggling to move the ball on the ground as well, but still -- it was Ray Rice, who has had our number a few times in the past that we held to just over 2 ypc.

Heyward is looking an awful lot like his counterpart on the right side-- Brett Kiesel. he has swatted several passes down and been getting good pressure on opposing QBs.

He is looking a lot more the part of a 3-4 Defensive end than Ziggy did. Hood is very disappointing to me because on paper, he should have all the things you want. he supposedly has a great work ethic and shows a lot of dedication-- but for whatever reason, it just does not pan out on the field.

What do you guys think of Cam so far? We are seeing some of his first significant time on the field not as a relief or 3rd down option.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Riddle_Of_Steel For This Useful Post:
43Hitman (10-22-2013), austinfrench76 (10-21-2013), chey2fuli (10-21-2013), harrison'samonster (10-22-2013), LgFriess (10-22-2013), steelfury02 (10-22-2013)
Old 10-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319
Default Re: Emerging Stars: CAM HEYWARD

Yeah we have got better against the run since the bye week and the differences are Cam Heyward and Vince Williams. Cam was looking "okay" before the bye and Vince Williams looked pretty bad (especially vs the Vikings). Now they are both making plays. I think that we absolutely have to get more out of Hood and McClendon if we're going to be a top defense. They do well in pursuit but they aren't breaking off their blocks or getting a push at all. If they were getting a push we'd shut the run down the way the Steelers used to and the LB's would have bigger holes to run through when blitzing. Hopefully they can rise to the occasion, because although we've won a couple meaningful games, we're still not getting TO's and we're still not scoring TD's, so the defense is going to have to improve at least till the redzone offense gets better.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:05 PM   #3
chey2fuli
Water Boy

Member Number: 25305

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
With all the hype over our additions on the offensive side of the ball-- just wondering if anybody has been paying attention to, or noticed the play of Cam Heyward since being given the starting role?

Dude has silently been having a big impact at DE and seems to have plugged up our leaky run-defense. Granted, the Ravens have been struggling to move the ball on the ground as well, but still -- it was Ray Rice, who has had our number a few times in the past that we held to just over 2 ypc.

Heyward is looking an awful lot like his counterpart on the right side-- Brett Kiesel. he has swatted several passes down and been getting good pressure on opposing QBs.

He is looking a lot more the part of a 3-4 Defensive end than Ziggy did. Hood is very disappointing to me because on paper, he should have all the things you want. he supposedly has a great work ethic and shows a lot of dedication-- but for whatever reason, it just does not pan out on the field.

What do you guys think of Cam so far? We are seeing some of his first significant time on the field not as a relief or 3rd down option.
Great post! I thought I was the only one who noticed that too.lol Ever since he started he really has helped Kiesel and McClendon keep opposing offensive linemen off of our linebackers. Did you see how Williams and Timmons were free to make plays in the back field. When Ziggy was playing he let the opposing o-line get to the next level which made it hard for our MLB's to make the plays they're supposed too.
chey2fuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:14 PM   #4
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

I don't know if it is all Heyward but in the last 2 games we have not given up 60 yards rushing in either game and only 11 points per game.

Slowly but surely it seems like LeBeau is making adjustments and fine tuning this defense and it looks like Heyward has been one of the positive adjustments.

I just wish we could get more pressure and turnovers...

As for Ziggy maybe he can develop a new workout fad and call it the PZiggyX.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
DanRooney
Head Coach

Member Number: 16248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post

Should have been our starter a long time ago. Tomlin is so poor at evaluating what he has.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:03 PM   #6
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,711 Times in 962 Posts

Heyward is doing a much better job of holding the POA along the LOS than Hood. Expecting Hood to cover multiple gaps is folly. Hood can be a good back up, playing either DE spots as well as NG.
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:21 PM   #7
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 11,387 Times in 4,786 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDave View Post
Heyward is doing a much better job of holding the POA along the LOS than Hood. Expecting Hood to cover multiple gaps is folly. Hood can be a good back up, playing either DE spots as well as NG.
Ziggy Hood would be a much better DL if he played in a one-gap defensive system.
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hawaii 5-0 For This Useful Post:
El-Gonzo Jackson (10-22-2013)
Old 10-21-2013, 09:29 PM   #8
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,776 Times in 1,613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
Should have been our starter a long time ago. Tomlin is so poor at evaluating what he has.
you don't think john mitchell has anything to do with it ?

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MasterOfPuppets For This Useful Post:
Hawaii 5-0 (10-21-2013)
Old 10-21-2013, 11:28 PM   #9
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 21,598 Times in 8,917 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDave View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I swear that I saw Hood playing NT in the second half...
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:34 PM   #10
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I swear that I saw Hood playing NT in the second half...
I saw Hood in there, but I did not bother to notice where he was playing. I assumed he was in there at LE, at his native position?

Stands to reason-- we don't really have any relief for Big Steve do we?