Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-30-2013, 02:22 AM   #1
Daddymac10
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 25201
Default Offensive/Defensive line play...

Hurts me to say this but this is so obvious. We are not a physical team anymore because the line play on both sides is so poor. The offensive line is consistently getting man-handled every game. There is no surge on running plays and we get steam-rolled on pass plays. This makes the quarterback look very bad as Ben have no time to operate; 3 seconds is not enough time. The 3 defensive linemen never get any surge and always get dominated on run plays. They suppose to draw double-teams but often don't....
Daddymac10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daddymac10 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (11-02-2013)
Old 10-30-2013, 02:25 AM   #2
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,347 Times in 3,994 Posts
My Mood: Cool
Default Re: Offensive/Defensive line play...

the offensive line play has truly been offensive...
Old 10-30-2013, 03:33 AM   #3
IowaSteeler927
Head Coach

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 1,724 Times in 805 Posts
My Mood: Sleepy

Like they say, it always starts in the trenches. We gotta get better in the trenches on both sides of the ball but the offensive line is the most grievous of the offenders.
IowaSteeler927 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IowaSteeler927 For This Useful Post:
FrancoLambert (11-02-2013), harrison'samonster (11-02-2013)
Old 10-30-2013, 07:42 AM   #4
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,555 Times in 886 Posts

RE: OL

When you are down to playing significant snaps with your 10th lineman on the year, it ain't going to be good. For the last three years, our OL has been in a constant state of flux. Add to that, Heath is nowhere near as effective as a blocker as he was 8 years ago, We were also counting on blocking from Spathe, and Johnson.

As was posted earlier this year on numerous sights and thread, this season hung on the ability of this OL to avoid significant injury as there was no depth behind the starters. So lets take a peek at what we've ended up with to date with our game one starters:

Mike Adams, LT

I guess he really isn't ready to play LT in the NFL after all. Talk about a huge miscalculation of talent. Granted he is impressive on running plays, but his pass blocking going back to his college days has never been good.

Current status, lately has been benched as a tackle, but has been seeing duty as a blocking TE. Might reclaim his starting position this week due to attrition in the ranks.

Ramon Foster, LG:

This was another miscalculation of talent, but not quite on the scale on Mike Adams. Make no bones, Foster has been a journeyman level player who has played a lot of ball for us over the years, but mostly due to somebody else getting hurt. Current status, left the last game with a concussion, but has been battling a muscle tear that has reduce his effectiveness

Markice Pouncey, C:

Out for the year, lost very early on in game one. Status IR

David DeCastro, RG:

Solid Sophomore year so far, but had to leave the last game with an ankle injury. Tomlin reported that he will be limited early in the week, but expects he might play this Sunday. Status: Uhuh, we'll see.

Marcus Gilbert, RT:

This guy has been an enigma since we drafted him. He's missed a lot of playing time due to injury over his few years on the club. Currently he's been nursing a what has been called a quad strain. The bottom line on him IMO is he's been a very up and down player. Some plays he looks great, some solid, and then there come a major head scratcher, usually taking out one of two of his teammates in the process.

Beachum, has turned out as well as one could expect for a 7th rounder. I'd love to see him settle in at one spot.We were very fortunate to find Velasco available to replace Pouncey, and all things considered, he's done an admirable job, but make no mistake, this is not a top level talent. Looking further at our depth, Guy Whimper, Cody Wallace Joe Long, and Chris Hubbard aren't worth a clump of farts between them.

As for the DL it's pretty simple, Hood/Heyward are not A. Smith, McClendon is not Casey Hampton 2005, and Brett Kiesle is not Brett Kiesle of 2007. You can't run a successful 3-4 unless you DL can hold the gaps. Add to that, a rookie playing buck ILB, and you got issues.

There is a reason Troy P has been up on the LOS this year, and that is to force them the opponents to allocate an extra blocker for him. In the day, it was Big Snack drawing a double team instead, allowing Troy to do what he does best. It's a sorry state of affairs as Palamalu is sorely missed in the secondary.
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VaDave For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (11-02-2013), FrancoLambert (11-02-2013), harrison'samonster (11-02-2013), pczach (11-02-2013)
Old 10-30-2013, 08:10 AM   #5
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,063 Times in 945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDave View Post
RE: OL

When you are down to playing significant snaps with your 10th lineman on the year, it ain't going to be good. For the last three years, our OL has been in a constant state of flux. Add to that, Heath is nowhere near as effective as a blocker as he was 8 years ago, We were also counting on blocking from Spathe, and Johnson.

As was posted earlier this year on numerous sights and thread, this season hung on the ability of this OL to avoid significant injury as there was no depth behind the starters. So lets take a peek at what we've ended up with to date with our game one starters:

Mike Adams, LT

I guess he really isn't ready to play LT in the NFL after all. Talk about a huge miscalculation of talent. Granted he is impressive on running plays, but his pass blocking going back to his college days has never been good.

Current status, lately has been benched as a tackle, but has been seeing duty as a blocking TE. Might reclaim his starting position this week due to attrition in the ranks.

Ramon Foster, LG:

This was another miscalculation of talent, but not quite on the scale on Mike Adams. Make no bones, Foster has been a journeyman level player who has played a lot of ball for us over the years, but mostly due to somebody else getting hurt. Current status, left the last game with a concussion, but has been battling a muscle tear that has reduce his effectiveness

Markice Pouncey, C:

Out for the year, lost very early on in game one. Status IR

David DeCastro, RG:

Solid Sophomore year so far, but had to leave the last game with an ankle injury. Tomlin reported that he will be limited early in the week, but expects he might play this Sunday. Status: Uhuh, we'll see.

Marcus Gilbert, RT:

This guy has been an enigma since we drafted him. He's missed a lot of playing time due to injury over his few years on the club. Currently he's been nursing a what has been called a quad strain. The bottom line on him IMO is he's been a very up and down player. Some plays he looks great, some solid, and then there come a major head scratcher, usually taking out one of two of his teammates in the process.

Beachum, has turned out as well as one could expect for a 7th rounder. I'd love to see him settle in at one spot.We were very fortunate to find Velasco available to replace Pouncey, and all things considered, he's done an admirable job, but make no mistake, this is not a top level talent. Looking further at our depth, Guy Whimper, Cody Wallace Joe Long, and Chris Hubbard aren't worth a clump of farts between them.

As for the DL it's pretty simple, Hood/Heyward are not A. Smith, McClendon is not Casey Hampton 2005, and Brett Kiesle is not Brett Kiesle of 2007. You can't run a successful 3-4 unless you DL can hold the gaps. Add to that, a rookie playing buck ILB, and you got issues.

There is a reason Troy P has been up on the LOS this year, and that is to force them the opponents to allocate an extra blocker for him. In the day, it was Big Snack drawing a double team instead, allowing Troy to do what he does best. It's a sorry state of affairs as Palamalu is sorely missed in the secondary.
Great Post.

Thankful we have Velasco and Beachum as well.

It all starts in the trenches.

We need some hard working maulers with attitude.

I hope they stop drafting pussies.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GBMelBlount For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (11-02-2013), pczach (11-02-2013), VaDave (10-30-2013)
Old 10-30-2013, 08:14 AM   #6
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDave View Post
Hood/Heyward are not A. Smith, McClendon is not Casey Hampton 2005, and Brett Kiesle is not Brett Kiesle of 2007. You can't run a successful 3-4 unless you DL can hold the gaps
ain't that the fucking truth...we never came close to replacing Aaron Smith, and he was a 4th rd pick....all our draft fixes for the line have fallen flat.

add to that that many more teams are running the 3-4 now and drafting college D linemen and converting them to LB's so the talent pool isn't there for us anymore - plus teams have been seen the same blitzes from every team now and nobody is being fooled by them anymore either.

So this is the first time I'd say it's time to switch to the 4-3 and start over next year - our 3-4 DL is the worst in the league, Timmons is easily our best LB, the rest are barely average now and our secondary after Ike and Troy doesn't intimidate anyone. No wonder they can't stop the run or pass.

to Lebeau's credit he somehow gets our shit list of underperformers to hold teams under 30 pts a game for the most part....with no pass rush it's no wonder they play a 10yd cushion all the time.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fire Haley For This Useful Post:
GBMelBlount (10-30-2013), VaDave (10-30-2013)
Old 11-02-2013, 03:35 AM   #7
Daddymac10
Draft Prospect

Seeing our CB play a 10-yard cushion, even on 3rd & short situations just make my blood boil. Obviously we got some of the slowest CB's in the league; I don't understand why we can't draft CBs with decent speed & CBs who can actually make plays by catching a few interceptions. Next year we need to go to a 4-3 because our D-line is so pathetic, they're killing us. Can't plug the gaps, can't draw double teams, can't rush the passer because they are overmatched. We have so many holes on D-fence, we're in big trouble, we need to trade down for multiple draft picks & hope for the best...
Old 11-02-2013, 03:42 AM   #8
Daddymac10
Draft Prospect

I think Doug Legursky is far better than the garbage we got now; we should've kept him. As much as Chris Kemoeatu made me mad with his reckless penalties, he is far better than the garbage we got now. Who ever is in charge of player personnel need to be disciplined for setting us back 5 years with bad drafting. We got all of the weapons on offense, but we are wasting Ben Rothlisburger's prime years by throwing away seasons because of our sorry line play...
Old 11-02-2013, 06:21 AM   #9
IowaSteeler927
Head Coach

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 1,724 Times in 805 Posts
My Mood: Sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
Great Post.

Thankful we have Velasco and Beachum as well.

It all starts in the trenches.

We need some hard working maulers with attitude.

I hope they stop drafting pussies.
We need some dudes who want to go out there and put the guy across from them flat on their ass. Right now I just don't feel like we have anyone on our O-line who has a mean streak. I felt like Colon brought that to the table but they let him go. Kinda wish they'd kept him around at least for one more season just to see what he could do.
IowaSteeler927 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IowaSteeler927 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (11-02-2013)
Old 11-02-2013, 09:45 AM   #10
FrancoLambert
Head Coach

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,498 Times in 783 Posts
My Mood: Breezy

So, our current O-line is anchored by a waiver pick up (Velasco), and a 7th rounder (Beachum). Both of which are playing OK.
The high picks (Adams and Gilbert) have been major disappointments. Adams is approaching "bust" status.
DD has got pro-bowl potential.
It's time to point the finger at those who evaluate, recommend, and select the O-linemen.
Too many misses with the high picks.
To make matters worse, Urbik and Legursky are doing OK with Buffalo.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote