Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-28-2013, 09:06 PM   #1
Gnutella
Head Coach

Member Number: 13861
Thanked 2,247 Times in 812 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy
Arrow The irony about building a complete football team

If there's one irony about building a complete football team, it's that it's easier to build a complete team around a franchise QB than it is to find a franchise QB for an otherwise complete team. Just remember that the next time anybody considers trading Ben Roethlisberger to be a worthwhile endeavor. If those people had their way, the Steelers would be built like the Texans: a complete team without a QB, and no legitimate chance at winning a championship. The Steelers have already experienced that dilemma themselves, during the 1990's and early 2000's.

The QB is the most important position on a football team by far, and the most difficult to find. If you have a proven winner at QB, you keep him and you rebuild around him, like the Broncos did with John Elway. I don't want to hear about Joe Montana or Brett Favre either, because they were replaced by Steve Young and Aaron Rodgers. I don't see a QB of their caliber on the Steelers bench. Commit to Roethlisberger with a contract extension; make him the centerpiece of the team, and get back to the playoffs by 2015 at the latest.
Gnutella is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gnutella For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (10-29-2013)
Old 10-28-2013, 09:46 PM   #2
zcoop
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513
Default Re: The irony about building a complete football team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
If there's one irony about building a complete football team, it's that it's easier to build a complete team around a franchise QB than it is to find a franchise QB for an otherwise complete team. Just remember that the next time anybody considers trading Ben Roethlisberger to be a worthwhile endeavor. If those people had their way, the Steelers would be built like the Texans: a complete team without a QB, and no legitimate chance at winning a championship. The Steelers have already experienced that dilemma themselves, during the 1990's and early 2000's.

The QB is the most important position on a football team by far, and the most difficult to find. If you have a proven winner at QB, you keep him and you rebuild around him, like the Broncos did with John Elway. I don't want to hear about Joe Montana or Brett Favre either, because they were replaced by Steve Young and Aaron Rodgers. I don't see a QB of their caliber on the Steelers bench. Commit to Roethlisberger with a contract extension; make him the centerpiece of the team, and get back to the playoffs by 2015 at the latest.
You may not want to hear it, but teams win games. No part is greater than the whole. Young, Rogers, Earl Morrall, Flacco, Kapernek, the list could go on. While the QB position is the central point, it can't win without the rest of the parts. Dan Marino and many others are testament to that. BTW: If Elway didn't have TD carrying the rock, he don't win those two SBs.

Football is and will always be a TEAM sport, at least for the winners.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zcoop For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (10-29-2013), NSMaster56 (10-29-2013)
Old 10-28-2013, 09:52 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,765 Times in 4,056 Posts

If TD doesn't have elway throwing to the likes of Sharpe, smith, and McCaffrey, TD NEVER even sniffs the playoffs, let alone 2000 yds.

Bubby brister may have been good for a month but wasnt leading that team to a championship
Old 10-28-2013, 09:55 PM   #4
zcoop
Head Coach
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
If TD doesn't have elway throwing to the likes of Sharpe, smith, and McCaffrey, TD NEVER even sniffs the playoffs, let alone 2000 yds.

Bubby brister may have been good for a month but wasnt leading that team to a championship
That's the point I'm making, they had a very good team of players which allowed them to win.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:05 PM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,765 Times in 4,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcoop View Post
That's the point I'm making, they had a very good team of players which allowed them to win.
exactly. They had a bunch of good players. But only one of them is a first ballot Hall of Famer.John Elway is considered one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time. At least top 10. Terrell Davis would have as many Superbowl rings as Barry Sanders without John Elway.just ask Jake Plummer.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:06 PM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,309 Times in 3,647 Posts

The trick is to hit the jackpot on a QB in the draft and for that matter draft well to have a complete team

On the Monday night game they showed a graphic that Seattle has 0.6% of its cap space tied up in Russell Wilson and 7 or 8 starters making less than $1 million per year. Rams had to pay Bradford under the old system and he is 10% of their cap space

The ESPN crew said the window closes on Seattle when all that young talent gets paid

Once the franchise QB qualifies for his 9 figure contract you need to draft well to have surrounding players or eventually enter cap hell by having older players restructure

Which is why you will never see a 70s Steelers or 80s 49ers team again that wins a bunch of rings with the same core - Steelers being competitive from 2004-2010 is impressive in this era, but not having to pay Ben initially helped a lot

But you cannot win in the playoffs without a QB so that is who gets paid
Confounding Factor (10-28-2013), Men of Steel (10-29-2013), NSMaster56 (10-29-2013), pczach (10-29-2013), steelfury02 (10-29-2013), teegre (10-29-2013)
Old 10-28-2013, 10:14 PM   #7
zcoop
Head Coach
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
exactly. They had a bunch of good players. But only one of them is a first ballot Hall of Famer.John Elway is considered one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time. At least top 10. Terrell Davis would have as many Superbowl rings as Barry Sanders without John Elway.just ask Jake Plummer.
There is some truth that, but Elway took 13 years to win those SBs and he did not until they had the TEAM around him. In my opinion, Dan Marino was one of greatest to play the position but didn't have that winning combination of teammates around him. He's a HOF but without a ring.
The Following User Says Thank You to zcoop For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (10-29-2013)
Old 10-28-2013, 10:23 PM   #8
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
The trick is to hit the jackpot on a QB in the draft and for that matter draft well to have a complete team

On the Monday night game they showed a graphic that Seattle has 0.6% of its cap space tied up in Russell Wilson and 7 or 8 starters making less than $1 million per year. Rams had to pay Bradford under the old system and he is 10% of their cap space

The ESPN crew said the window closes on Seattle when all that young talent gets paid

Once the franchise QB qualifies for his 9 figure contract you need to draft well to have surrounding players or eventually enter cap hell by having older players restructure

Which is why you will never see a 70s Steelers or 80s 49ers team again that wins a bunch of rings with the same core - Steelers being competitive from 2004-2010 is impressive in this era, but not having to pay Ben initially helped a lot

But you cannot win in the playoffs without a QB so that is who gets paid
Exactly what happened with the Steelers.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:33 PM   #9
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,191 Times in 4,622 Posts

If we're in a position to draft Bridgewater or Mariota, Roethlisberger is expendable. I very much doubt we get either of those guys though unfortunately.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:51 PM   #10
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
If we're in a position to draft Bridgewater or Mariota, Roethlisberger is expendable. I very much doubt we get either of those guys though unfortunately.
It's debatable. I still prefer Jake Matthews. But I agree with you that those QBs are likely gone before the Steelers pick so the point is moot. Bucs, Jags, Vikings and Browns all need a QB. The Steelers are bad, but not bad enough.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote