Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

View Poll Results: Who Leaves The Steelers First - Ben Or Tomlin
Tomlin Goes First 19 55.88%
Ben Goes First 15 44.12%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-2013, 05:02 PM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,110 Times in 2,390 Posts
Default Who Goes First - Ben Or Tomlin?

I was listening to the weekly Bill Simmons podcast on guessing the upcoming lines for the NFL games

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/grantla...yer?id=9893812

When Simmons and Cousin Sal got to the Steelers - New England game around the 38:00 mark, Simmons once again raised a question he has been asking this season since the Steelers started to look like they are in for a multi-year rebuilding project - should the Steelers trade Ben to a potential contender who needs a QB for high draft pricks (including at least one #1)

Cousin Sal responded that Tomlin goes before Ben

Which leads to this poll question - Ben's current contract runs through 2015 and Tomlin's seat is getting warmer

So who goes first - Tomlin or Ben?

I say Tomlin goes first

Last edited by Atlanta Dan; 10-28-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:14 PM   #2
Cyphon
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24613
Default Re: Who Goes First - Ben Or Tomlin?

Ideally for us Ben goes first. In a perfect world we have drafted his replacement while he finishes out his career and Tomlin finally shows us that he actually deserves to be paid for what he does. We stay loyal to Tomlin and Ben retires in the natural process of things etc etc.

I think the most likely scenario is similar to that minus the positive twist. We will stay loyal to Tomlin regardless of whether or not he wins or loses for at least 3 or 4 more years. By that time Ben has to be close to retirement or already there. The way we operate this season has to be terrible and next season has to be bad or terrible before the team even starts discussing releasing Tomlin. We are talking about it but I highly doubt the Rooneys are.

As for us actively moving Ben I just don't see it. The ONLY option I could see that happening is if we have a high enough draft pick this year and are comfortable picking a QB we like in the first round and trading Ben to get another first rounder this year during the draft or trading him to another team for some O line or something. You just don't get rid of a franchise QB with nobody behind him learning and ready to take over.

Anyway, I voted Ben because of loyalty to coaches.
Cyphon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cyphon For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (10-28-2013)
Old 10-28-2013, 05:17 PM   #3
Bane
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24775
Thanked 1,934 Times in 827 Posts

Ben. He's on the latter half of his career, he's been shit-talking in the media, and his play isn't winning games like it used to.

I think Ben's end could be coming sooner than I had originally hoped. I've been getting a nagging feeling lately that he could be traded within the next 2-3 years. Not that I want that, it's just kind of a hunch I've been having.
Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bane For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (10-28-2013)
Old 10-28-2013, 05:25 PM   #4
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 14,151 Times in 5,964 Posts

BB plays three more seasons (w/ at least one more Lombardi)... and retires.

Tomlin continues to coach another twelve years for the Steelers, beyond the aforementioned three years (w/ a total of six SuperBowl appearances and five Lombardis)... and retires with the record for most SuperBowl victories.

Sooo... technically, BB "retires" first.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (10-28-2013), IowaSteeler927 (10-29-2013), pczach (10-28-2013)
Old 10-28-2013, 05:26 PM   #5
Steelstoned1972
UNLEASHING HELL SINCE '72
Supporter

Member Number: 16903
Thanked 2,101 Times in 1,217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
I was listening to the weekly Bill Simmons podcast on guessing the upcoming lines for the NFL games

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/grantla...yer?id=9893812

When Simmons and Cousin Sal got to the Steelers - New England game around the 38:00 mark, Simmons once again raised a question he has been asking this season since the Steelers started to look like they are in for a multi-year rebuilding project - should the Steelers trade Ben to a potential contender who needs a QB for high draft pricks (including at least one #1)

Cousin Sal responded that Tomlin goes before Ben

Which leads to this poll question - Ben's current contract runs through 2015 and Tomlin's seat is getting warmer

So who goes first - Tomlin or Ben?

I say Tomlin goes first
I'm not sure who goes first , but a soft , injury prone offensive line and repeated mental mistakes and turnovers is a disturbing trend of the last 2-4 years.

I have supported Tomlin but my patience is wearing thin . The same clichéd excuses , poor clock management , and unfocused , undisciplined play is tilting the pendulum in my opinion .

As far as im concerned I wouldn't shed a tear if Tomlin and Haley were shipped out after this year. The 1000 mile stare is getting old . Blow it up , and start anew !
MasterOfPuppets (10-28-2013), stb_steeler (10-29-2013), steelfury02 (10-28-2013)
Old 10-28-2013, 05:34 PM   #6
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 2,672 Times in 1,156 Posts

tomlin. it's his job to get the most out of his players and what we've gotten so far for the most part is under achieving players and teams that play like winning isn't a priority.
they've habitually played down to the opponents level and fail to rise to the occasion and play with any type of inspiration or intensity.
i've been a tomlin supporter through most of his tenure , but i'm beginning to see patterns that i've mentioned above. it's his job to fix the problems , be it through scheme changes or player changes which in some cases he has done, but without any positive results.
sometimes an infusion of new blood with a new philosophy and idea's is necessary.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MasterOfPuppets For This Useful Post:
Cyphon (10-28-2013), Steelstoned1972 (10-28-2013)
Old 10-28-2013, 05:49 PM   #7
steelfury02
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 2,855 Times in 1,374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelstoned1972 View Post
I'm not sure who goes first , but a soft , injury prone offensive line and repeated mental mistakes and turnovers is a disturbing trend of the last 2-4 years.

I have supported Tomlin but my patience is wearing thin . The same clichéd excuses , poor clock management , and unfocused , undisciplined play is tilting the pendulum in my opinion .

As far as im concerned I wouldn't shed a tear if Tomlin and Haley were shipped out after this year. The 1000 yard stare is getting old . Blow it up , and start anew !
fixed it for you . . .

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
pczach (10-28-2013)
Old 10-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #8
Steelstoned1972
UNLEASHING HELL SINCE '72
Supporter

Member Number: 16903
Thanked 2,101 Times in 1,217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
fixed it for you . . .
Haha , I said 1000 mile didn't I ? Lmao

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2013, 06:27 PM   #9
WVABE
Team Captain

3D Field Goal - All Pro Champion!
Member Number: 24111

Haley.
WVABE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WVABE For This Useful Post:
Hawaii 5-0 (10-28-2013), SteelKid212 (10-29-2013)
Old 10-28-2013, 06:35 PM   #10
blackngold8766
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 25200

The team would miss Ben more + Ben has a better chance of going into the Hall of Fame + Relative to similar position in the league I would rank Ben higher = Tomlin goes first
blackngold8766 is offline   Reply With Quote