Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS
View Poll Results: Do we afford Tomlin the same patience that Cowher received?
Yes, stay the course, with a proven HC 28 75.68%
No, fire him as soon as a viable replacement becomes available 9 24.32%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-30-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
Steel Peon
Starter

Member Number: 17520
My Mood: Drunk
Default Patience for Tomlin? Yea or nay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galax Steeler View Post
Ed Bouchette: Mike Tomlin has just as much say in who the Steelers draft as Kevin Colbert. That doesn't mean either is in jeopardy of losing that job.
I was having so much fun with this article earlier, that this little nugget of info went unnoticed by me. I find it noteworthy because this discussion has been going on quite a bit lately here, as well as with the Steeler fan friends I have. The main issue at hand is with Tomlin's abilities as a HC, but most fans I talk to would say Tomlin does not have much to do with the picks in the draft, and that perhaps it's Colbert's picks that have been lackluster, which explains our poor performance lately. I then counter with remembering quite vividly Bill Cowher personally making moves in the draft (a la Santonio) to get certain players, and assumed the same practice would be passed on to Tomlin, which it seems to have been. That is, unless Bouchette is totally wrong here, which I highly doubt is the case.

SO, it would then stand to reason, that the real culprit for our recent difficulties is not Tomlin's inability to sharpen, condition, and train the new talent (as I have alluded to being a possibility in the past, and maybe being something Cowher excelled at), and his game management skills, but rather he just plain sucks at picking new players.....as of yet.

Most importantly, I'm definitely not the first person to say this, but it bears repeating, as the same thing happened to Cowher after he first took over, way back in '92. His first few years as HC were largely successful, and no one questioned his abilities at all. However, slowly but surely, the team started to have issues, which were then followed by missing the playoffs, and then losing seasons. The immediate reaction by many fans (energetically including yours truly), was to jump to the conclusion that Cowher ran out of players that Noll drafted and trained, and is now mired in a sea of hacks because his ability to pick and train players plain sucks.......is this starting to sound familiar?

Now, we have 2 choices in front of us here, 1) We fire Tomlin after the season, let a different HC help pick new draftees, and run the risk of turning the organization into a revolving door that resembles the Browns endless train of shit. Or, 2) We afford the same patience to Tomlin that was afforded to Cowher (and assume the Rooneys know this already, and aren't wrong this time either), and we wait......hmm let me do the math.....7 more years for Tomlin to sharpen his picking skills, and field a team that will win the Super Bowl.

But also remember, Tomlin has had much better early success than Cowher did. He's been to 2 SBs, and won 1, of which Cowher's team only went once and lost. So, it stands to reason he may be able to right the ship faster than Cowher did. Additionally, there's no denying that Tomlin lacks clock management skills, and has some issues in the common sense department, but these negatives may not be game breakers when compared to his other skills. So after thinking this over, I'm going along with the Rooneys, and am all in for giving him the time, but does anyone else think he's capable? I could be very wrong here.
Steel Peon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Steel Peon For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (10-31-2013), FrancoLambert (10-31-2013), harrison'samonster (10-30-2013), steelfury02 (10-31-2013)
Old 10-30-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351
Default Re: Patience for Tomlin? Yea or nay?

Mike won the big game. With Cowhers players or not (depending on the argument ) he deserves time.
Buddha Bus (10-31-2013), harrison'samonster (10-30-2013)
Old 10-30-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
steelax04
Assistant Coach
Supporter

HolmenKollen Ski Jump Champion!
Member Number: 12182
My Mood: Yeehaw

I see that the Tomlin threads are starting to go the way of the Wallace ones of yore. Every thought gets a new one.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:34 PM   #4
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

How many NFL coaches have never had a losing season?

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GBMelBlount For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (10-30-2013), teegre (10-30-2013)
Old 10-30-2013, 08:37 PM   #5
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 8,891 Times in 3,683 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

I say give him time. It's been a way that's worked for the Steelers in the past. I'm interested to see how this team rebuilds over the next few years.

I had always assumed that Colbert did most of the picking when it comes to the draft and am surprised to hear that Tomlin has as much input in the draft. That's mostly based off of Colbert having more experience in the matter.
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to harrison'samonster For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (10-31-2013)
Old 10-30-2013, 08:43 PM   #6
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,936 Times in 4,636 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

yes, obviously...
Blacksburg Zach (10-30-2013), Buddha Bus (10-31-2013), fer522 (10-31-2013), FrancoLambert (10-31-2013), GBMelBlount (10-30-2013), harrison'samonster (10-30-2013), Steel Peon (10-30-2013), steelfury02 (10-31-2013), teegre (10-30-2013)
Old 10-31-2013, 04:30 AM   #7
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

The poll question and responses contain unfounded assumptions. Poor poll, poor post.

The black and gold ostrich of rebuilding denial.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:39 AM   #8
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,776 Posts
My Mood: Aggressive

Are we going to have to make an "official" Mike Tomlin thread now, too? This is going exactly the same as it did with Wallace. We'll probably have 5 or 6 threads on the front every morning now. Here's your answers:

Mike Tomlin has never had a losing season as head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers. He's a Super-Bowl winning coach, and has been to two Super Bowl's as coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Comparison: It took Bill Cowher 13+ years and 3 losing seasons before he took us to a Super Bowl and walked away victorious, and he's regarded as one of the NFL coaching legends in most conversations today.

Conclusion: Mike Tomlin WILL be the coach of this team for a long time. Steelers had back-to-back losing seasons in 98 & 99 and followed it up with a winning season (barely). I think Mike Tomlin can turn this around, and deserves just as much as a chance as anyone considering what he's accomplished.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:40 AM   #9
BowCatShot
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24236

I don't like comparing Tomlin with Cowher. In my humble but correct opinion it was a mistake to give Cowher so much time and so many chances. Worked out great for the Rooneys as the profits just kept rolling in but it was frustrating as hell for us fans. Therefore I don't want to give Tomlin all that time either.
BowCatShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:42 AM   #10
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321

Depends on how the next couple of years play out. The Steelers haven't won fewer than six games since 1988, something they may be trending towards. A couple of years of that, combined with all the failed drafts, and I don't think Art II will have the same patience his father did.

If the outlook is as bleak two years from now, he's gone.
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote