Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-31-2013, 06:30 PM   #21
Gnutella
Head Coach

Member Number: 13861
Thanked 2,196 Times in 790 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy
Default Re: Steelers not close to contending?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
That's about what it'd take to satisfy some fans. (Some.)

I mean, I'm really trying to figure out exactly how a draft that produced Lawrence Timmons, LaMarr Woodley and William Gay (2007) is bad. Timmons has been rock steady since 2010; Woodley has most of the team's sacks, and Gay has been playing much better since 2011, his performance in Super Bowl XLV be damned.

For that matter, how is a draft that produced Maurkice Pouncey and Antonio Brown (2010) bad? Pouncey is a perennial Pro Bowl C, and Brown has already functionally replaced Mike Wallace. Hell, you can even toss in Jonathan Dwyer as a backup RB. Or how about the draft that produced Cameron Heyward, Marcus Gilbert and Cortez Allen (2011)? Heyward is doing a solid job at LDE; Gilbert has done an acceptable job at RT regardless of what some say, and Allen is a good nickel back at worst. David DeCastro seems to be the only good player from his draft class (2012), but if we can forgive Bill Cowher for only finding one good player in 2005 (Heath Miller), then we can forgive Mike Tomlin for this. And like I've said many times before, early returns from the 2013 draft are positive.

I'm seriously trying to understand what's wrong with the 2007, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 drafts.

Last edited by Gnutella; 10-31-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Gnutella is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gnutella For This Useful Post:
teegre (11-01-2013)
Old 10-31-2013, 06:33 PM   #22
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,101 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

losing to the titans at home = you suck. no other way to put it. this year's team isn't competitive.
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:22 PM   #23
Kobethecat
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25241

It's not the drafted players. It is the inability the Steelers have recently developed in coaching them up. There are few surprises in the first 3 rounds of the draft. Mel Kiper makes sure of that. Gilbert and Adams would've still been drafted by another team. Just check the mock drafts from those years. We get good players. But what we do to develop them seems to have fallen off the last few years. Free Agents and late rounders make teams every year. The Steelers have done a very average job developing their talent.
Kobethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:04 AM   #24
Cherinko
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5744

The team lacks talent. No fan base will ever admit their team lacks talent. They'll make 100 excuses before they admit that but in our case it's true although I know everyone on this board will argue otherwise. We're not underachieving at 2-5. We have very few young stars (in before someone rambles off 3 random average starters i.e Timmons). How many pro bowlers do we have on the roster? 1 maybe 2? We sunk 2 1st round picks into 3-4 defensive lineman that I never hear anything about.

We had a long run of successful years. It couldn't go on forever. We're still a very successful franchise over the long run and hopefully we'll be back to that point in a few more years. The problem is Ben is getting old and might not last to see it and then we need a new franchise QB to compete which could take a long time to find.
Cherinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:17 AM   #25
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 22,809 Times in 9,325 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
That's about what it'd take to satisfy some fans. (Some.)

I mean, I'm really trying to figure out exactly how a draft that produced Lawrence Timmons, LaMarr Woodley and William Gay (2007) is bad. Timmons has been rock steady since 2010; Woodley has most of the team's sacks, and Gay has been playing much better since 2011, his performance in Super Bowl XLV be damned.

For that matter, how is a draft that produced Maurkice Pouncey and Antonio Brown (2010) bad? Pouncey is a perennial Pro Bowl C, and Brown has already functionally replaced Mike Wallace. Hell, you can even toss in Jonathan Dwyer as a backup RB. Or how about the draft that produced Cameron Heyward, Marcus Gilbert and Cortez Allen (2011)? Heyward is doing a solid job at LDE; Gilbert has done an acceptable job at RT regardless of what some say, and Allen is a good nickel back at worst. David DeCastro seems to be the only good player from his draft class (2012), but if we can forgive Bill Cowher for only finding one good player in 2005 (Heath Miller), then we can forgive Mike Tomlin for this. And like I've said many times before, early returns from the 2013 draft are positive.

I'm seriously trying to understand what's wrong with the 2007, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 drafts.
Absolutely.

I posted almost the exact same thing, to the exact same person... and what do you know: as soon as the players are actually listed (not just a broad-sweeping "the drafts have sucked") he disappears from the thread.

Aside from the 2008 draft, the Steelers have gotten at least one good starter in every draft, and in some cases, two very good starters (Pouncey, Brown). Plus, almost every single draft (except for 2008) has netted at least two solid contributors (e.g. Players like Gay, Dwyer, & Sanders who have started at some point and/or are good back-ups).
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #26
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,733 Times in 971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighsteeler View Post
Browsing some Steelers content this morning and came across this. Not the most promising prognosis.....

[I]"Whether fans want to admit it or not, the Steelers are in a rebuilding phase, and itís going to take at least some time to stock their roster with the kind of talent good enough to win 11 or 12 games on an annual basis.

James Harrison is gone. Hines Ward is gone. James Farrior is gone. Casey Hampton is gone. These are football players that, years from now, will be revered and immortalized in Pittsburgh much like the 70s Steelers legends are today.

Did anyone really think it was going to be easy to replenish such a star-studded roster?"

What do you guys think?

Here is the link to the rest of the column.
T

I've been expecting this for number of years, even before 2010. In fairness, the FO rode that crew of players as long as they could, took on some sal cap hell to keep it together, and we managed to get one more Superbowl appearance, and a couple of shots at the playoffs, which was a lot more than I thought we'd get.
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #27
blackngold8766
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25200
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers>NFL View Post
would preferred Stephanie walking out toting around that huge rack! Must have had implants in the last couple weeks.
blackngold8766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:58 AM   #28
milehighsteeler
Water Boy

Member Number: 25415

I would fall more into the "player development" issue for this current regime. They've selected players with talent and upside, but don't see most of them making the step up to the "elite" level. This team is loaded with good players. But, just that.... good.

Who is the talent developer on this staff, anyway? Does Todd Haley have a track record of developing talent?
milehighsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:49 PM   #29
JewniorGong
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17286

Guys all it will take is one great draft to turn things around. This is the NFL, nobody is ever THAT far from contending. We're being dramatic if we say this team can't contend any time soon. But we've just been drafting so badly for 5-6 years, that cannot continue. We need to have a great draft or two, land multiple QUALITY starters, and possibly a young franchise QB, and we're back in business. It's not like some long period of darkness is coming.
JewniorGong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:58 PM   #30
JewniorGong
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17286

And yeah I agree that it's not necessarily missing on talent, but missing on developing the talent. If we stick with the current staff responsible for making these kids better, we're screwed.
JewniorGong is online now   Reply With Quote