Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-05-2013, 12:33 AM   #11
Bane
Head Coach

Member Number: 24775
Thanked 2,736 Times in 1,134 Posts
Default Re: No Timetable For Return of Dolphins' OT Jonathan Martin

A 300 lb. lineman gets bullied because size doesn't matter. I've seen some of the biggest (both fat and muscular) dudes get taken down by tiny men and women.

In this case, Richie is another 300 lb. dude with an awful attitude mixed in with some pretty epic stupidity.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:22 AM   #12
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

Sometime I wonder how a human being can be this terrible.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:50 AM   #13
GodfatherofSoul
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 14842
Thanked 1,491 Times in 720 Posts

Bullying is psychological, not physical anyway.
Buddha Bus (11-06-2013)
Old 11-05-2013, 11:22 AM   #14
Bane
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodfatherofSoul View Post
Bullying is psychological, not physical anyway.
Then his size matters even less.

Regardless, how it's labeled or how that label is defined is irrelevant. The fact of the matter is, Incognito is scum, and the things he's saying (and potentially doing) to Martin are reprehensible and deserving of punishment. And their teammates and front office coming to Incognito's defense is despicable.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:28 AM   #15
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,776 Times in 2,670 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane View Post
Then his size matters even less.

Regardless, how it's labeled or how that label is defined is irrelevant. The fact of the matter is, Incognito is scum, and the things he's saying (and potentially doing) to Martin are reprehensible and deserving of punishment. And their teammates and front office coming to Incognito's defense is despicable.
Martin probably is done in the NFL since he has violated "the code" (which until recently included playing with a concussion) of being a tough guy

"I think Jonathan Martin is a weak person," said one personnel man, speaking on the condition of anonymity. "If Incognito did offend him racially, that's something you have to handle as a man!...

Said another: "Guys are going to be guys, if you know what I mean. I'm sure there are some instances of 'taking things too far,' but that happens everywhere. You handle it in house -- fight, handle it on the field, joke about it, etc -- and keep it moving."...

Said one personnel man: "Incognito is an A-Hole, however I'm pretty sure you would want him beside you if you are in a bar fight. Tough as nails."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl...hie-incognito/
Old 11-05-2013, 12:15 PM   #16
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Martin probably is done in the NFL since he has violated "the code" (which until recently included playing with a concussion) of being a tough guy

"I think Jonathan Martin is a weak person," said one personnel man, speaking on the condition of anonymity. "If Incognito did offend him racially, that's something you have to handle as a man!...

Said another: "Guys are going to be guys, if you know what I mean. I'm sure there are some instances of 'taking things too far,' but that happens everywhere. You handle it in house -- fight, handle it on the field, joke about it, etc -- and keep it moving."...

Said one personnel man: "Incognito is an A-Hole, however I'm pretty sure you would want him beside you if you are in a bar fight. Tough as nails."

I hope not. It's sad that lots of players think it this way. Incognito is the one who is weak there.
The Following User Says Thank You to kan_t For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (11-06-2013)
Old 11-05-2013, 12:41 PM   #17
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
I hope not. It's sad that lots of players think it this way. Incognito is the one who is weak there.
I agree with you completely - if someone was hassling me at work the answer would not be to challenge them to a fight

Just passing along what appears to be the view of a lot of front office types that Martin should have been keeping it real
JonM229 (11-05-2013)
Old 11-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #18
Bane
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post

Which is ridiculous.

"Handle it as a man," while hiding behind the anonymity, and all but promoting what Incognito has done as something that's okay to do.

A fight with a guy like Incognito will only make matters worse. Martin is smart for doing this. Part of being a man is to know when socking a guy won't solve a problem.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:32 PM   #19
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Wonder if the Dolphins would trade Martin. Even if Incognito is suspened for life (I hope so), don't see how Martin can live in the Dolphins locker room anymore.

I want the Steelers to take a chance on him. From everything I have read, Foster is a good team player who takes care new comers. DeCastro, his former teammate, is also there. I think he can play to his full potential after a changed environment.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:32 PM   #20
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Ruh-roh

Sources: Dolphins coaches asked Incognito to toughen up Martin

Miami Dolphins' coaches asked player Richie Incognito, who was the offensive line's undisputed leader, to toughen up teammate Jonathan Martin after he missed a voluntary workout last spring, at least two sources told the Sun Sentinel.

The sources told the paper they believe that Incognito, who is accused of using racially incendiary language and bullying tactics against Martin, may have taken those orders too far.

It's not clear whether those marching orders will now become part of a pending investigation by the NFL into the Dolphins' locker room culture, and the alleged bullying that took place between Incognito and Martin.

"I'm just trying to weather the storm right now. This will pass," Incognito told WSVN-TV when reached outside a doctor's office.

Incognito has been suspended indefinitely by the Dolphins for conduct detrimental to the team for his tactics involving Martin, the team's 2012 second-round pick, who left the team last week and later accused the Dolphins of having an unsafe working environment.

Martin's smoking gun is a threatening, and racially offensive voice mail Incognito left him in April. In that voice message Incognito calls Martin, who is bi-racial, a "half n-----," threatened to slap his mother across the face, and uttered the words "I'll kill you."

Sources say that communication took place when Martin skipped two days of the team's OTA program, and Incognito was encouraged by his coaches to make a call that would "get him into the fold," one source said.

Even though OTA workouts are voluntary, the NFL culture forces coaches to strong arm the team's leaders to make sure everyone attends. Sources say Incognito was doing his job, but they admit he crossed the line.

"Richie is the type of guy where if he's on your team you love him," a teammate said. "If he's not on your team, you hate him. Every team needs a guy like that."

A Dolphins spokesman declined comment when told about Incognito's directives from the coaching staff, saying the franchise is fully cooperating with the NFL's independent investigation, which was requested by owner Steve Ross.

It is clear Incognito embraced his role as the team's enforcer and tough guy, his teammates said. However, nobody knew how troubling his relationship was with Martin, who started 10 straight games next to Incognito going back to the 2012 season, those same teammates added.

Martin abruptly left the team last week after a lunch room prank orchestrated by his fellow offensive lineman caused his emotional distress, and forced him to return to his California hometown, where he's receiving treatment.

The NFL Player's Association released a statement Tuesday saying it will monitor the NFL's investigation to ensure all the players the union represents, which includes Incognito, get a "fair investigation."

"We expect that the NFL and its clubs create a safe and professional workplace for all players and that owners, executives, coaches and players should set the best standards and examples," the statement read. "It is the duty of this union to hold the clubs and teams accountable for safety and professionalism in the workplace."

During Martin's rookie season he was nicknamed "Big Weirdo" by his teammates, and was forced to sport an embarrassing haircut given to him by the offensive linemen. He also forked over $15,000 for a veterans trip to Las Vegas he didn't attend.

The Dolphins traditionally hold rite of passage rituals for its rookies, and some of the team's antics – which included ridiculous haircuts, hair dying, and elaborate dinners paid for by the rookies – could be considered hazing. Those would make them a violation of the NFL's personal conduct policy.

Sources say players were annually directed by coach Joe Philbin to "cut out" the rookie hazing. Philbin comes from a Green Bay Packers culture where rookie hazing is minimal, or at least subtle. While Philbin tried to rein it in with the Dolphins, he and his coaching staff never policed it when the team was dying and shaving heads for the second straight training camp.

However, Philbin did insist that the rookies got decent haircuts before the team's first exhibition game, but that was after weeks of them sporting their embarrassing looks.

Linebacker Dannell Ellerbe indicated that Martin should have come to the leadership council with his problems, which apparently carried over to his second season. The problem is Incognito was also on the leadership council, and possessed a tremendous amount of power and influence.

That might explains why Martin hid his issues with Incognito, and on occasion hung around with him in South Florida, and during road trips. It is possible Martin felt he had to do so to feel accepted.

According to ESPN, Martin told former Stanford teammate Zach Ertz he planned to continue playing football. The Dolphins have kept him on the team's 53-man roster, and players have gone out their way to make sure he knows he's welcomed back.

http://touch.sun-sentinel.com/#secti.../p2p-78065907/

No wonder Martin left town - sounds like Incognito ran that locker room like an out of control sheriff runs a town

Only part of this that amuses me is Mike Wallace playing on an offense where the left tackle and guard are gone indefinitely while the center is under subpoena to testify to a grand jury investigating a murder - karma can be a bitch

Last edited by Atlanta Dan; 11-05-2013 at 09:43 PM.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atlanta Dan For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (11-06-2013), JonM229 (11-06-2013)