Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-05-2013, 10:12 PM   #21
Confounding Factor
Starter

Member Number: 25099
My Mood: Cynical
Default Re: No Timetable For Return of Dolphins' OT Jonathan Martin

Now there is a video leaked of him using the N word.

Good lord the Dolphins organization is awful from top to bottom.
Confounding Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Confounding Factor For This Useful Post:
JonM229 (11-06-2013)
Old 11-06-2013, 04:09 AM   #22
IowaSteeler927
Head Coach

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 1,710 Times in 801 Posts
My Mood: Sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Martin probably is done in the NFL since he has violated "the code" (which until recently included playing with a concussion) of being a tough guy

"I think Jonathan Martin is a weak person," said one personnel man, speaking on the condition of anonymity. "If Incognito did offend him racially, that's something you have to handle as a man!...

Said another: "Guys are going to be guys, if you know what I mean. I'm sure there are some instances of 'taking things too far,' but that happens everywhere. You handle it in house -- fight, handle it on the field, joke about it, etc -- and keep it moving."...

Said one personnel man: "Incognito is an A-Hole, however I'm pretty sure you would want him beside you if you are in a bar fight. Tough as nails."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl...hie-incognito/
Actually other players are stepping forward and supporting him. I just listened to Larry Fitzgerald, London Fletcher, and Larry Foote all offering support and condemning the actions of Richie Incognito. Foote basically said he thought Martin did the right thing and that it would've served little purpose for Martin to start a physical altercation with Incognito. He said Incognito targeted Martin rather than the guys he thought would punch him in the face. I'm inclined to agree. Bullies have a way of finding out who it is that has the longest fuse and will let them push them around. They don't pick on the guys with short fuses who will take a swing at them.

Ultimately Martin did the right thing. He set an example and now Incognito looks like an ass in front of the entire world. I don't in the least think this makes Martin some kind of sissy either. If anything he is stronger of will and wit than baboons like Incognito.
IowaSteeler927 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IowaSteeler927 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (11-06-2013), JonM229 (11-06-2013)
Old 11-06-2013, 04:28 AM   #23
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Only part of this that amuses me is Mike Wallace playing on an offense where the left tackle and guard are gone indefinitely while the center is under subpoena to testify to a grand jury investigating a murder - karma can be a bitch
What's funnier (or sadder, I'm not sure which) is Mike Wallace came out in defense of Incognito after the N-word thing came out. How dumb is this guy exactly?

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
IowaSteeler927 (11-06-2013), JonM229 (11-06-2013)
Old 11-06-2013, 04:29 AM   #24
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Troy Polamalu, Ben Watson offer takes on NFL hazing
By Chris Wesseling
Around the League Writer
Published: Nov. 5, 2013 at 08:10 p.m. Updated: Nov. 5, 2013 at 10:58 p.m.

In suggesting that Jonathan Martin might not belong in the NFL, former Miami Dolphins running back Ricky Williams said locker-room hazing is in "the nature of the game."

Minnesota Vikings defensive end Jared Allen backed up that notion Tuesday, explaining that it's "a sign of respect" toward veterans and a "rite of passage" for rookies.

As coaches and players from other teams weigh in on the issue, though, it's become obvious that hazing of the nature allegedly directed toward Martin is not inherently a part of the league culture.

New Orleans Saints tight end Ben Watson told NFL Media's Andrew Siciliano on Tuesday's "Around the League Live" that the Dolphins' situation is "the worst I've seen and heard."

"There's a clear line here," Watson said. "And the line is: You respect people. ... When you see these situations, these are outliers. This isn't the norm when it comes to the NFL. ... It's very disturbing, and there's no place for it in our league."

Watson's opinion is not unique. Coaches from the Bill Walsh tree don't tolerate hazing or harassment. Pete Carroll doesn't allow it in Seattle. Mike Shanahan said Tuesday he's never even heard of anything similar to Richie Incognito's alleged words and actions.

In contrast to the scene in Miami, Steelers safety Troy Polamalu described a family-type atmosphere among players and employees in Pittsburgh.

"I thought they would cut my hair when I came to Pittsburgh, but it was the exact opposite here," Polamalu said Tuesday on ESPN's "The Herd with Colin Cowherd." "Guys accepted me with open arms. Anything I needed whether it was a car, whether it was to sleep at their house -- and we only return that favor now that I'm a veteran on the team. Any young guy, whether they need a car or a house or some extra spending cash, whatever it may be we try our best to help them."

(Read More:) http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...-on-nfl-hazing

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
JonM229 (11-06-2013)
Old 11-06-2013, 04:58 AM   #25
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha Bus View Post
In contrast to the scene in Miami, Steelers safety Troy Polamalu described a family-type atmosphere among players and employees in Pittsburgh.

"I thought they would cut my hair when I came to Pittsburgh, but it was the exact opposite here," Polamalu said Tuesday on ESPN's "The Herd with Colin Cowherd." "Guys accepted me with open arms. Anything I needed whether it was a car, whether it was to sleep at their house -- and we only return that favor now that I'm a veteran on the team. Any young guy, whether they need a car or a house or some extra spending cash, whatever it may be we try our best to help them."

Hope Martin saw this and demands a trade to the Steelers.

Yes I know it's wishful thinking.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kan_t For This Useful Post:
IowaSteeler927 (11-06-2013), JonM229 (11-06-2013)
Old 11-06-2013, 06:56 AM   #26
mikegrimey
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15679

Quote:
Troy Polamalu, Ben Watson offer takes on NFL hazing
By Chris Wesseling
Around the League Writer
Published: Nov. 5, 2013 at 08:10 p.m. Updated: Nov. 5, 2013 at 10:58 p.m.

In suggesting that Jonathan Martin might not belong in the NFL, former Miami Dolphins running back Ricky Williams said locker-room hazing is in "the nature of the game."

Minnesota Vikings defensive end Jared Allen backed up that notion Tuesday, explaining that it's "a sign of respect" toward veterans and a "rite of passage" for rookies.

As coaches and players from other teams weigh in on the issue, though, it's become obvious that hazing of the nature allegedly directed toward Martin is not inherently a part of the league culture.

New Orleans Saints tight end Ben Watson told NFL Media's Andrew Siciliano on Tuesday's "Around the League Live" that the Dolphins' situation is "the worst I've seen and heard."

"There's a clear line here," Watson said. "And the line is: You respect people. ... When you see these situations, these are outliers. This isn't the norm when it comes to the NFL. ... It's very disturbing, and there's no place for it in our league."

Watson's opinion is not unique. Coaches from the Bill Walsh tree don't tolerate hazing or harassment. Pete Carroll doesn't allow it in Seattle. Mike Shanahan said Tuesday he's never even heard of anything similar to Richie Incognito's alleged words and actions.

That's kind of what I've been saying, there's a huge difference between rookie ribbing like making them carry your pads and shaking them down for cash and threatening to kill them...the people re victimising Martin by labelling him a coward or whatever are sick
If incognitos behaviour is the status quo then the NFL needs a lot more change than on the field
I read an article where Rich Gannon talked about the difference between his time in Minnesota and Oakland, he said the "hazing" in Minnesota was okay, normal rookie pranks or jokes, but said the behaviour in Oakland was horrible, I view Martin exposing this kind of awful behaviour as a good thing
mikegrimey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikegrimey For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (11-06-2013)
Old 11-06-2013, 08:17 AM   #27
IowaSteeler927
Head Coach

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 1,710 Times in 801 Posts
My Mood: Sleepy

Quote:
What's funnier (or sadder, I'm not sure which) is Mike Wallace came out in defense of Incognito after the N-word thing came out. How dumb is this guy exactly?
So glad we got rid of that doofus...
IowaSteeler927 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IowaSteeler927 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (11-06-2013)
Old 11-06-2013, 08:27 AM   #28
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,773 Times in 2,668 Posts

Quote:
As noted by this columnist, very dumb

Judging from their reactions, some of Incognito’s teammates enjoyed watching Martin being used as the butt of jokes. ...

Wide receiver Mike Wallace was more effusive.

“I love Richie,” he said. “I think he’s a great guy. He’s an intense guy. Everybody knows that. I think he was just being Richie.

“I love playing with Richie. I wish he was here right now.”

This is the Wallace who posted on Twitter, after the N.B.A. player Jason Collins announced he was gay: “All these beautiful women in the world, and guys want to mess with other guys.”

Not what one would call an enlightened locker room.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/06/sp...t0QUoctzCJGvog

After the Incognito ugliness anyone still wonder why no current NFL player has come out as gay?
Buddha Bus (11-06-2013), IowaSteeler927 (11-06-2013), JonM229 (11-06-2013)
Old 11-06-2013, 08:42 AM   #29
JonM229
Team Owner

Member Number: 24803
Thanked 5,795 Times in 2,116 Posts
My Mood: Goofy

Quote:
After the Incognito ugliness anyone still wonder why no current NFL player has come out as gay?
I don't know, have you guys seen the entire Steelers roster?

"I don't know about you Joe, but I would say that qualifies as elite." -Barack Obama
JonM229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #30
TheWarDen86
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 2,968 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM229 View Post
I don't know, have you guys seen the entire Steelers roster?
Seriously though, if an entire fan base can be gay:

Then why shouldn't the players be permitted.
Atlanta Dan (11-06-2013), Buddha Bus (11-06-2013), IowaSteeler927 (11-06-2013), JonM229 (11-06-2013), Soberdisposition (11-11-2013)