Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-06-2013, 08:58 AM   #31
IowaSteeler927
Head Coach

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 1,733 Times in 810 Posts
My Mood: Sleepy
Default Re: No Timetable For Return of Dolphins' OT Jonathan Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarDen86 View Post
Seriously though, if an entire fan base can be gay:

Then why shouldn't the players be permitted.
Fandamnedtastic!
IowaSteeler927 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IowaSteeler927 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (11-06-2013), JonM229 (11-06-2013), TheWarDen86 (11-06-2013)
Old 11-06-2013, 08:58 AM   #32
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,839 Times in 2,700 Posts

The Incognito disaster has moved beyond the sports pages

You Don't Want to Fight an NFL Lineman—Stop Talking Like You Do
Anonymously calling someone a coward is the height of self-parody and the pit of self-awareness.

Miami Dolphin Richie Incognito has been found to have directed a rather lengthy campaign of harassment at fellow offensive lineman Jonathan Martin. "Harassment" understates the thing. Incognito, with some regularity, threatened Martin's family ("[I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face"), threatened Martin personally ("Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you"), and assailed him with racist invective ("Hey. What's up, you half-****** piece of shit"). This is what we know. Apparently there's more.

Until yesterday, Incognito had taken to loudly defending his honor over Twitter, telling ESPN reporter Adam Schefter—"If you or any of the agents you sound off for have a problem with me, you know where to find me. #BRINGIT." Schefter subsequently brought it in the form of actual quotes. Incognito has been quiet ever since.

Jim Trotter has a useful piece on all of this in which he quotes various front office people loudly quoting from the Book of Men:

"I think Jonathan Martin is a weak person," said one personnel man, speaking on the condition of anonymity. "If Incognito did offend him racially, that's something you have to handle as a man! Mike Pouncey was a rookie at one point while Incognito was there and you never heard any complaints from him. There's no other way to put it, other than him being sofTTT!"

Said another: "Guys are going to be guys, if you know what I mean. I'm sure there are some instances of 'taking things too far,' but that happens everywhere. You handle it in house—fight, handle it on the field, joke about it, etc.—and keep it moving..."

"I might get my ass kicked," one said, "but I'm going to go down swinging if that happens to me, I can tell you that."

Probably not.

Anonymously calling someone a coward is the height of self-parody and the pit of self-awareness. Each of these personnel men feel perfectly comfortable attacking the mental strength of Jonathan Martin. Not a single one of them is willing to put their name on it. That is because none of them wants to deal with the pain of embarrassing themselves, their organization and the league, nor the pain that might attend their careers.

Calling for others to endure pain in one breath, while you duck it in the next is a particularly loathsome form of cowardice. The men who call on Martin to fight Incognito in the locker-room, are also the same men who would ruthlessly cut Martin or Incognito should either be injured in any way that jeopardizes the team's plans. Perhaps one of these braggarts actually would "go down swinging." But "down" does not have the same meaning for a general manager as it does for a left tackle. Jeff Ireland can report to work with a broken arm. Jonathan Martin not so much.

The point here is power. As demonstrated by Trotter's column, Martin has risked his career and millions of dollars by exposing Incognito. There's a solid argument that Martin's actions were "brave." It just isn't the kind of "brave" that immediately empowers the NFL. On the contrary, it's the kind that threatens it. ...

Thinking on this, I want to say something more. I think Jim Trotter should have asked his sources why they would demand that Martin risk his career, when they obviously are not willing to risk their own.

There's quite a bit of opinion in Trotter's piece, but very little of it comes at the expense of the people who are venting under the mask of anonymity. I think challenging one's sources, as opposed to simply shielding them, is an important step in distinguishing penetrating journalism from stenography.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertain...you-do/281161/
Buddha Bus (11-06-2013), IowaSteeler927 (11-06-2013), JonM229 (11-06-2013)
Old 11-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #33
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegrimey View Post
That's kind of what I've been saying, there's a huge difference between rookie ribbing like making them carry your pads and shaking them down for cash and threatening to kill them...the people re victimising Martin by labelling him a coward or whatever are sick
If incognitos behaviour is the status quo then the NFL needs a lot more change than on the field
I read an article where Rich Gannon talked about the difference between his time in Minnesota and Oakland, he said the "hazing" in Minnesota was okay, normal rookie pranks or jokes, but said the behaviour in Oakland was horrible, I view Martin exposing this kind of awful behaviour as a good thing
Totally agree. This kind of twisted, sociopathic behavior goes far beyond mere hazing. Making a rookie carry your pads or tying him to a goalpost and dousing him with Gatorade in fun is hazing. Physically harassing, threatening, extorting money, and using racial slurs is criminal and has no place in a civilized society.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:44 PM   #34
JonM229
Team Owner

Member Number: 24803
Thanked 5,879 Times in 2,146 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha Bus View Post
Totally agree. This kind of twisted, sociopathic behavior goes far beyond mere hazing. Making a rookie carry your pads or tying him to a goalpost and dousing him with Gatorade in fun is hazing. Physically harassing, threatening, extorting money, and using racial slurs is criminal and has no place in a civilized society.
You shut your fucking mouth before I take a shit in it and then sucker punch your mom in the ovaries!

"I don't know about you Joe, but I would say that qualifies as elite." -Barack Obama
JonM229 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JonM229 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (11-06-2013), GodfatherofSoul (11-06-2013)
Old 11-06-2013, 02:55 PM   #35
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM229 View Post
You shut your fucking mouth before I take a shit in it and then sucker punch your mom in the ovaries!
Dear Steelers Fever,

I will be taking an indefinite leave of absence from the board for personal reasons and checking myself into a facility for some evaluation and recovery. I am not at prepared to discuss the details of my reasons for this hiatus as of yet and will not be disclosing my location or the nature of my issues at this time.

Thank you for your understanding in this matter.

Sincerely,
Buddha Bus

P.S.- It's not your fault, Jon. Yeah, I'm good man. It's insane bro, but just know I don't blame you at all. It's just the culture around message boards, and the Locker Room forum got to me a little.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
GodfatherofSoul (11-06-2013), JonM229 (11-06-2013)
Old 11-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #36
JonM229
Team Owner

Dammit, I didn't even get to the extortion part yet

"I don't know about you Joe, but I would say that qualifies as elite." -Barack Obama
The Following User Says Thank You to JonM229 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (11-06-2013)
Old 11-06-2013, 03:02 PM   #37
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Dammit, I didn't even get to the extortion part yet
I'm not as dumb as you look.

The Following User Says Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
JonM229 (11-06-2013)
Old 11-06-2013, 03:13 PM   #38
JonM229
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha Bus View Post
I'm not as dumb as you look.
Though I'm surprised I haven't been suspended yet as all of my conduct has been detrimental to Steelers Fever.

The Following User Says Thank You to JonM229 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (11-06-2013)
Old 11-06-2013, 03:23 PM   #39
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Though I'm surprised I haven't been suspended yet as all of my conduct has been detrimental to Steelers Fever.
Oh, it's comin', buddy. I just have to kiss a couple more admins' asses and you're history, Richie!

The Following User Says Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
JonM229 (11-06-2013)
Old 11-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #40
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,839 Times in 2,700 Posts

Incognito has black friends so what he said could not be racist

Incognito considered black in Dolphins locker room

One of the most curious aspects of the Richie Incognito-Jonathan Martin story is how race has become very much a part of it outside the Dolphins locker room -- in the media and among fans and observers -- but not at all so far within the Dolphins locker room.

Think of this:

Richie Incognito left Jonathan Martin a voice mail that, among other things, called Martin a "half-n----r." And Dolphins players of color, knowing of the voicemail, have expressed no problems with Incognito.

"I don't have a problem with Richie," Mike Wallace said. "I love Richie."

"I don't think Richie is a racist," cornerback Brent Grimes said.

"Richie Incognito isn't a racist," tight end Michael Egnew said.

ESPN analyst and former Dolphins wide receiver Cris Carter has know Mike Pouncey since the player's childhood. Today Carter said on air he recently spoke to Mike Pouncey and the center, who is Incognito's friend, addressed race.

"They don't feel as if he's a racist, they don't feel as if he picked on Jonathan repeatedly and bullied him, but if they could do it all over again there would be situations that they might change but they’re very, very comfortable with Richie,” Carter said.

“They think it’s sad, not only that Jonathan’s not on the football team, but also that Richie is being depicted as a bigot and as a racist.”

How is this possible?

Well, I've spoken to multiple people today about this and the explanation from all of them is that in the Dolphins locker room, Richie Incognito was considered a black guy. He was accepted by the black players. He was an honorary black man.

And Jonathan Martin, who is bi-racial, was not. Indeed, Martin was considered less black than Incognito.

"Richie is honarary," one player who left the Dolphins this offseason told me today. "I don't expect you to understand because you're not black. But being a black guy, being a brother is more than just about skin color. It's about how you carry yourself. How you play. Where you come from. What you've experienced. A lot of things."

Another former Dolphins employee told me Martin is considered "soft" by his teammates and that's a reason he's not readily accepted by some of the players, particularly the black players. His background -- Stanford educated and the son of highly educated people -- was not necessarily seen as a strength or a positive by some players and it perpetuated in the way Martin carried himself.

And so -- agree with it or not, comprehend it or not -- this is a reason the Dolphins haven't turned on Incognito as a racist.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolph...cker-room.html