Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 11-03-2013, 09:13 AM   #11
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Default Re: Time nears for Steelers to decide on Roethlisberger extension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post
Ben isn't going anywhere.
And that is probably the entire truth right there..... unless Ben asks to be let out.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
Lady Steel (11-03-2013), steelfury02 (11-03-2013)
Old 11-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #12
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,754 Times in 4,799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
The chance of ending up with a top 3 pick is still very very small. And even if they luckily (or unluckily) get a #3 pick. There is still a good chance that Mariota will not be there. Both the Jags and Bucs need a QB.
That depends though. If the Bucs think they have something in Glennon, they can take Clowney and help spark a defense that really needs help upfront. I'd be comfortable saying that if a situation like that were to arise, the Bucs would take Clowney over Mariota, leaving whomever has the third overall pick to select Mariota.

This is all assuming he even comes out this year. I think he does though.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:18 AM   #13
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha Bus View Post
And I can't say they did the wrong thing. They made 3 Super Bowl appearances during Roethlisberger's tenure and the Steelers F.O. knew they had a franchise star QB to make more runs at it.

I can't fault them for mortgaging the future to win as many SBs as they could because you don't get a lot of opportunities to do it. It's so hard to find a QB that's able to lead a team there and when you land one, you try to keep the best players around them that you can to have a realistic shot at winning more.

Unfortunately, that usually ends up coming home to roost and we're starting to see the back end of that approach. We just need to hope that the down years are as few as possible.
Agreed.

It's easy to look back and play armchair cap strategist.

However I was really referring to the big picture with regard to several big contracts.

Quote:
Talk about paying the price for success. Just look at these 2014 cap figures, as calculated by websites Spotrac and overthecap.com: LaMarr Woodley, $13,590,000; Ike Taylor (who recently restructured), $11,942,000; Lawrence Timmons, $11,816,000; Troy Polamalu, $10,887,500; Heath Miller, $9,466,500; Antonio Brown, $8,47,000.

That's about $84 million for seven players, leaving only about $40 million for the remaining 46, plus the rookie class and all the players who will attend training camp.
Unfortunately, while not extending Ben may make matters worse....extending him will arguably worsen our longer term cap problems.

Anyway you look at it is not an enviable position for the team.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GBMelBlount For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (11-03-2013)
Old 11-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #14
vasteeler
Team President

Member Number: 3341
Thanked 1,198 Times in 476 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

i dont think ben is going anywhere. i think it would be foolish to let him go. this team is full of talent. for some reason they are not playing up to their potential. tweak a few things and i think we have a good team. in the next 2-3 years this team could be great again and i would hate to have a good team and no ben. we have all seen what happens when we are sub par at the QB position
vasteeler is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vasteeler For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (11-03-2013)
Old 11-03-2013, 09:34 AM   #15
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
i dont think ben is going anywhere. i think it would be foolish to let him go. this team is full of talent. for some reason they are not playing up to their potential. tweak a few things and i think we have a good team. in the next 2-3 years this team could be great again and i would hate to have a good team and no ben. we have all seen what happens when we are sub par at the QB position
And therein lies the rub. Will they actually be able to compete again in 2-3 years and will Ben still be effective when that time comes? It feels like a classic catch-22 situation. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
The Following User Says Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
GBMelBlount (11-03-2013)
Old 11-03-2013, 09:39 AM   #16
jigones
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 25184

I think they can be very competitive next year if we keep Velasco, move Pouncey to Guard and our tackles improve and learn from experience. The biggest problem for us is Woodleys contract. How do we get rid of it. We could do so much with that cap space.
jigones is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jigones For This Useful Post:
GBMelBlount (11-03-2013)
Old 11-03-2013, 09:39 AM   #17
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
And therein lies the rub. Will they actually be able to compete again in 2-3 years and will Ben still be effective when that time comes? It feels like a classic catch-22 situation. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Agreed.

However being a homer I STILL feel if just a few pieces would come together (especially the o line) the tone of our thread topics would be COMPLETELY different.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GBMelBlount For This Useful Post:
pczach (11-03-2013)
Old 11-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #18
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
However being a homer I STILL feel if just a few pieces would come together (especially the o line) the tone of our thread topics would be COMPLETELY different.
No they won't because.....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
GBMelBlount (11-03-2013), pczach (11-03-2013)
Old 11-03-2013, 09:48 AM   #19
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 9,849 Times in 3,818 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
Such a tough choice. I like Ben and believe he's one of the main reasons we win ball games, but there are many valid questions to answer first.

1.) Do you stick with your franchise QB who's won you 2 Super Bowls and taken you to a third if you don't think this rebuilding process will be completed in time for him to make an impact anymore? It doesn't seem to make sense to dump that much salary on one veteran player if you don't believe you can get the team competitive again before his time runs out as an effective NFL QB. Conversely, he's been the key to this team winning games since he's been a starter and any rebuilding effort would be tough to finish off without a franchise QB like him.

2.) Is Landry Jones an NFL caliber QB capable of taking over the reins in the event Ben is let go? If they're willing to let Ben go, the Steelers need to be sure that Jones or some other young gun is ready to take over the offense for the near future. It's unlikely we'll get one in free agency worthy of starter status and drafting one could take time to develop or be a complete bust and where would that leave you?

3.) How many other vet stars are gone after this season and how much does that help our cap situation? We are likely going to be parting ways with some or all of these guys in the next 2 seasons: Keisel, Polamalu, Worilds, Taylor, Clark, Hood, Felix Jones, Sanders, and Cotchery. Depending on how much cap relief results in these departures may decide Ben's fate.

4.) Is Ben still the same durable and tough QB he used to be? Ben has had injuries piling up for a long time and sooner or later that will catch up to him. He's missed 14 games in his NFL career not to mention the 4 games he was suspended for for the his off-field issues. He's taking longer to heal and still taking sacks at an alarming rate which doesn't bode well for his body if something doesn't give soon.

5.) Does Ben still have enough gas left in the tank to make another SB run? Ben is 32 and beaten up which will accelerate that age a little more. He still shakes off tacklers, but seemingly not as easily as times past indicating that either age and/or injuries may be catching up with him some.

6.) Do you risk trading him or not renewing his contract if you aren't sure you can land proven talent to make the team competitive going forward? The risk/reward needs heavily weighed here. If you are certain that you can fill holes with proven talent for less money and be competitive in the process, it may be worth considering.

I'm not advocating cutting Ben loose. I think he's one of the main reasons this team has been as successful as it has for the past decade, if not the main reason, but the questions are valid in gauging this team moving forward.
1.) You probably keep him. In the NFL, you could make huge turnarounds very quickly. There are a lot of young players that we already see getting better. Hopefully, Ben will give the Steelers a hometown discount(ala Tom Brady), and be able to finish his career in Pittsburgh where he belongs, and with a chance to have many more successful years with the Steelers because they have more money to spend on other players.

2.) I don't think Landry Jones is the long term answer, but we don't really know yet. I hated this pick when the Steelers took him, because I knew there were many other positions that could have been addressed. Ben will still be here for at least a few more years, and I thought this move was a reach and a little too early.

3.) My guess is that Keisel, Clark, and Cotchery are probable gone. Hood will probably gone, unless he signs an affordable deal to stay here. I doubt it because he is worth much more in a 4-3 defense.

If the Steelers don't turn things around and Sanders doesn't impress, they may try to trade him this year or just part ways with him after the season.

These are the non-impact guys, and are most likely to be gone. Felix Jones doesn't make that much money, so he may still be a part of things.

Ike and Troy are still very good, and are still our best options at their respective positions. Troy not being a Steeler would be a bombshell.

4.) Yes. He's still durable and capable of taking this team very far if the supporting cast improves.

5.) Ben is 32, but I truly believe he has 4-5 great years in him, particularly if they can give him a much improved OL. He's got a lot left in the tank.

6.) None of us can make that call. That's completely on the Steelers organization to evaluate the situation from a talent and financial standpoint and make that decision. My guess would be that if they were going to completely blow things up, it would have happened this past year. Some of the players I listed above as veteran casualties really aren't big losses from a football standpoint anymore. It's time to find upgrades.

The thing not mentioned here is the future of Dick LeBeau. If LeBeau is going to retire, and a new defensive scheme is going to be installed, much of what I just talked about changes. Do they move to the 4-3 Cover 2 defense that Tomlin ran before he came to the Steelers? Do they keep the 3-4 and promote someone from within, or hire a new DC from the outside to take over for the legendary LeBeau?

To me, this may be the biggest factor in deciding the direction the team takes, and how drastic the roster moves will be.

There are big decisions to be made in the Steel City.
pczach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pczach For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (11-03-2013), GBMelBlount (11-03-2013), SteelCityMom (11-04-2013)
Old 11-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #20
FrancoLambert
Team President

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,026 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
If the Steelers are "full of talent" but not playing up to their potential, the "for some reason" part must be the coaching......what else could it be. OK....injuries to an extent, but........

I'm not so sure we're loaded with talent anymore.
Talent at the skill positions but our lines absolutely suck.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FrancoLambert For This Useful Post:
GBMelBlount (11-03-2013)