Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 11-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #21
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Default Re: Time nears for Steelers to decide on Roethlisberger extension

Quote:
Originally Posted by pczach View Post
1.) You probably keep him. In the NFL, you could make huge turnarounds very quickly. There are a lot of young players that we already see getting better. Hopefully, Ben will give the Steelers a hometown discount(ala Tom Brady), and be able to finish his career in Pittsburgh where he belongs, and with a chance to have many more successful years with the Steelers because they have more money to spend on other players.

2.) I don't think Landry Jones is the long term answer, but we don't really know yet. I hated this pick when the Steelers took him, because I knew there were many other positions that could have been addressed. Ben will still be here for at least a few more years, and I thought this move was a reach and a little too early.

3.) My guess is that Keisel, Clark, and Cotchery are probable gone. Hood will probably gone, unless he signs an affordable deal to stay here. I doubt it because he is worth much more in a 4-3 defense.

If the Steelers don't turn things around and Sanders doesn't impress, they may try to trade him this year or just part ways with him after the season.

These are the non-impact guys, and are most likely to be gone. Felix Jones doesn't make that much money, so he may still be a part of things.

Ike and Troy are still very good, and are still our best options at their respective positions. Troy not being a Steeler would be a bombshell.

4.) Yes. He's still durable and capable of taking this team very far if the supporting cast improves.

5.) Ben is 32, but I truly believe he has 4-5 great years in him, particularly if they can give him a much improved OL. He's got a lot left in the tank.

6.) None of us can make that call. That's completely on the Steelers organization to evaluate the situation from a talent and financial standpoint and make that decision. My guess would be that if they were going to completely blow things up, it would have happened this past year. Some of the players I listed above as veteran casualties really aren't big losses from a football standpoint anymore. It's time to find upgrades.

The thing not mentioned here is the future of Dick LeBeau. If LeBeau is going to retire, and a new defensive scheme is going to be installed, much of what I just talked about changes. Do they move to the 4-3 Cover 2 defense that Tomlin ran before he came to the Steelers? Do they keep the 3-4 and promote someone from within, or hire a new DC from the outside to take over for the legendary LeBeau?

To me, this may be the biggest factor in deciding the direction the team takes, and how drastic the roster moves will be.

There are big decisions to be made in the Steel City.

1.) Agree that they probably keep him, but I doubt Ben is the "hometown discount" type of guy. I hope I'm wrong, but it's just a feeling I have.

2.) I'm not sure Jones is the long-term answer either which makes the choice a little easier. I don't see them handing the reins over to Bruce Gradkowski, landing a free agent star QB, or drafting a rookie who can come right in and start right away. Ben would be our best option for the next few years at this point or until Landry Jones can prove he's the guy.

3.) Agree with with all of your assessments on said players.

4.) That's a big "if". How much longer can we expose Ben to a lackluster o-line that can't seem to get it together and gets even worse when you think it isn't possible? A large part of that question hinges on the line protecting him as it only takes one missed blocking assignment to end a career and our guys do it regularly.

5.) See #4.

6.) It is totally on the F.O. and talent evaluators to answer this question. The next 2 years will be telling on whether those people are the right ones to be making those calls.

The LeBeau thing is a whole other can of worms. I love the guy and appreciate everything he's done for this organization, but it may be time for that gold watch. We can't leave Butler waiting in the wings forever and DL isn't getting any younger. We may need a fresh perspective and someone to count on for the foreseeable future of this defense. I hate saying that and am now going to cut my fingers off for typing it.

Haley should have till the end of the season to right the offensive ship, but I think he will probably be gone. I just don't see the offense growing under him and his off-field issues coupled with his reputation probably has him on a short leash at this point. Kirby Wilson should get a crack at it next season as that was the Steelers first choice anyway before the fire that nearly killed Wilson sidelined him.

It may be time for a changing of the guard and clean slate on both sides of the ball. If we're rebuilding, we should do it with guys who are invested in the long-term future of the franchise's success and I think Butler and Wilson would be a good start, or at least an attempt.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
pczach (11-03-2013)
Old 11-03-2013, 09:16 AM   #22
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
If the Steelers are "full of talent" but not playing up to their potential, the "for some reason" part must be the coaching......what else could it be. OK....injuries to an extent, but........

I'm not so sure we're loaded with talent anymore.
Talent at the skill positions but our lines absolutely suck.

I think we're one player away from a great o-line if we can keep guys healthy and on the field. DeCastro is quickly turning heads, Pouncey is a former Pro-Bowler, Beachum has been a nice surprise, and I think Adams can settle in at RT given more time. We just need to find another guard or LT. Personally, I'd like to retain Velasco at center, move Pouncey to left guard and maybe draft a LT in round one or two of the draft. The injuries have to stop though and depth is an issue as well.

The d-line is another story. We will be losing Keisel and possibly Hood this offseason. I like Heyward and believe McLendon is better suited as a DE. If we can find a good NT in free agency or through the draft it may be not as bad as it appears, but we have so many needs right now, where do you start and what position will suffer and have to get by with what we have?

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #23
Kobethecat
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25241

[QUOTE=Buddha Bus;1205237]Such a tough choice. I like Ben and believe he's one of the main reasons we win ball games, but there are many valid questions to answer first.

1.) Do you stick with your franchise QB who's won you 2 Super Bowls and taken you to a third if you don't think this rebuilding process will be completed in time for him to make an impact anymore? Steelers would be wise to wait until Ben has (1) year left. I know it's a gamble, but Ben is supposed to be an Elite QB. Being elite means that you still win games despite rebuilding and/or shaky Defenses. Brady, Peyton and Brees all are competitive through change. We need to see if Ben can put this team on his back the rest of this year and next before a decision is made.

2.) Is Landry Jones an NFL caliber QB capable of taking over the reins in the event Ben is let go? I don't think Landry Jones is anything but a # 3. But I think the nature of the QB position is changing to a more mobile QB style. This year, Geno Smith and Manuel, Pryor are following the success of Kapernick, Wilson, RG3, & Cam Newton. Colleges are producing these QB's. Jameis Winston, Bridgewater, Johnny Football are the rave. It's harder to find classic QB's It's inevitable a shift is approaching. Maybe QB's like these also don't last as long thus the cost changes and they become the equivalent of the modern running back where there is rarely a 2nd and never 3rd contract.

3.) How many other vet stars are gone after this season and how much does that help our cap situation? Add Woodley to that list

4.) Is Ben still the same durable and tough QB he used to be? No. That's why the Steelers should watch the next season and a half closely before any deal is done

5.) Does Ben still have enough gas left in the tank to make another SB run? Hard to say. Not embracing Haleyball may be his ultimate downfall

6.) Do you risk trading him or not renewing his contract if you aren't sure you can land proven talent to make the team competitive going forward? I'd strongly consider it. See the Seattle blueprint. Stack the D and find a guy like Wilson in the 3rd Round and be in business. However, without strong coaching and a front office, that may not happen
Kobethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #24
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobethecat View Post
In conclusion, I think Ben is QB who makes a good team great but not a bad team good. Steelers need to be very careful here. We don't need another 20 year drought because we got sentimental.
That can go both ways as well. We could have a complete disaster on our hands if we let him go or trade him and the guys we spend his money on don't work out or his replacement fails. We could be looking at bottom-feeder status for awhile in that case.

pczach (11-03-2013)
Old 11-03-2013, 09:22 AM   #25
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 20,490 Times in 8,549 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Two words: John Elway
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (11-03-2013), pczach (11-03-2013), SH-Rock (11-03-2013)
Old 11-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #26
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Two words: John Elway
That settles it for me. He's a keeper.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
pczach (11-03-2013), teegre (11-03-2013)
Old 11-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #27
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,112 Times in 3,201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
i dont think ben is going anywhere. i think it would be foolish to let him go. this team is full of talent. for some reason they are not playing up to their potential. tweak a few things and i think we have a good team. in the next 2-3 years this team could be great again and i would hate to have a good team and no ben. we have all seen what happens when we are sub par at the QB position
Ben probably will be getting a new O-coordinator next year - my bet is the Steelers are not going to extend him until they see how that works out

And I am not certain how full of talent the team is - other then Ben, Brown is having a good season and DeCastro is developing into a fine guard but that is about it on offense

On defense, Timmons and Troy are having good seasons but Woodley failed to show up last week in Oakland - not a lot of Pro Bowl level talent on defense either

The 2-5 record mildly underperforms most expectations for this season but when writers such as Don Banks at SI.com predicted a 6-10 season that reflected aging talent in decline with few replacements in the pipeline
Old 11-03-2013, 09:36 AM   #28
FrancoLambert
Team President

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,671 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha Bus View Post
I think we're one player away from a great o-line if we can keep guys healthy and on the field. DeCastro is quickly turning heads, Pouncey is a former Pro-Bowler, Beachum has been a nice surprise, and I think Adams can settle in at RT given more time. We just need to find another guard or LT. Personally, I'd like to retain Velasco at center, move Pouncey to left guard and maybe draft a LT in round one or two of the draft. The injuries have to stop though and depth is an issue as well.

The d-line is another story. We will be losing Keisel and possibly Hood this offseason. I like Heyward and believe McLendon is better suited as a DE. If we can find a good NT in free agency or through the draft it may be not as bad as it appears, but we have so many needs right now, where do you start and what position will suffer and have to get by with what we have?
BB,

Agree with you fully about the potential for a much improved O-line, but we won't know for sure until next season.
Unlike you, I don't get the feeling that Adams will ever settle in....hope I'm wrong, but in my eyes (so far) he lacks a lot of everything.
D-line is a major reconstruction project in the making.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FrancoLambert For This Useful Post:
pczach (11-03-2013)
Old 11-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #29
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
BB,

Agree with you fully about the potential for a much improved O-line, but we won't know for sure until next season.
Unlike you, I don't get the feeling that Adams will ever settle in....hope I'm wrong, but in my eyes (so far) he lacks a lot of everything.
D-line is a major reconstruction project in the making.
I hear you. I think we need to remember that Adams was stabbed this past offseason and give him a pass for one more year before labeling him a bust. I think he can be a salvageable RT if given more time to develop.

pczach (11-03-2013)
Old 11-03-2013, 09:45 AM   #30
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,112 Times in 3,201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha Bus View Post
I think we're one player away from a great o-line if we can keep guys healthy and on the field. DeCastro is quickly turning heads, Pouncey is a former Pro-Bowler, Beachum has been a nice surprise, and I think Adams can settle in at RT given more time. We just need to find another guard or LT. Personally, I'd like to retain Velasco at center, move Pouncey to left guard and maybe draft a LT in round one or two of the draft.
With Pouncey up for a new contract after 2014 I do not know if they can afford Velasco - he is making $715,000 on a one year deal and has played well enough to earn a nice contract

http://www.overthecap.com/teamcap.ph...lers&Year=2013

They would save some money if they gave up on Adams

http://www.overthecap.com/cap.php?Na...&Team=Steelers