Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-04-2013, 07:36 AM   #31
milehighsteeler
Water Boy

Member Number: 25415
Default Re: Draft. What's our biggest need?

Speedy playmakers in the secondary. And ten more offensive lineman. And another edge rusher.... Can I keep going? Ugh.....
milehighsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:39 AM   #32
Terminator
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24492
Thanked 1,058 Times in 416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaSteeler927 View Post
Are you serious with that comment? Our defense has been near tops in the league every year since Super Bowl 43, up until this year. I believe we were #1 against the pass last year.
Everyone constantly talks about our "#1 rated defense last year". Those stat lines are a joke. They only count total yards allowed. Not points scored. Not forced turnovers. And most important, not GAMES WON.

All the stats in the world does not mean shit if you can't WIN GAMES.
Terminator is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Terminator For This Useful Post:
blackngold8766 (11-04-2013), Steeldude (11-05-2013), steelfury02 (11-07-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 08:43 AM   #33
NJarhead
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 3,151 Times in 1,324 Posts
My Mood: Inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
Everyone constantly talks about our "#1 rated defense last year". Those stat lines are a joke. They only count total yards allowed. Not points scored. Not forced turnovers. And most important, not GAMES WON.

All the stats in the world does not mean shit if you can't WIN GAMES.

Did you read the post he was replying to? Please tell me you don't agree that our defense has been crap since the second half of SB XLIII. Because that is among the most asinine posts in this forum; and that's saying something.
IowaSteeler927 (11-04-2013), Penn (11-04-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #34
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,023 Times in 4,571 Posts

You could very easily argue our biggest need is OLB. There's no pressure coming from Worilds/Woodley/Jones consistently. Our best pass rusher on the team right now is Cam Heyward, and that's pretty pathetic. While he's a very good player, we need consistent pressure from our OLB'ers. Now, Woodley gets a pass because they were doubling him for the majority of the game yesterday, but Worilds was getting shut down one on one the entire game.

You have to take into account the cap too. Safety and CB come into the discussion at that point as well.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:48 AM   #35
NJarhead
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
You could very easily argue our biggest need is OLB. There's no pressure coming from Worilds/Woodley/Jones consistently. Our best pass rusher on the team right now is Cam Heyward, and that's pretty pathetic. While he's a very good player, we need consistent pressure from our OLB'ers. Now, Woodley gets a pass because they were doubling him for the majority of the game yesterday, but Worilds was getting shut down one on one the entire game.

You have to take into account the cap too. Safety and CB come into the discussion at that point as well.
I'm going to "spitball" a little too. I wonder if Dick LeBeau would field a 4-3 defense (Tampa 2)?

I think we have the personnel for it with Woodley playing DE.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:53 AM   #36
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarDen86 View Post
I'm going to "spitball" a little too. I wonder if Dick LeBeau would field a 4-3 defense (Tampa 2)?

I think we have the personnel for it with Woodley playing DE.
LeBeau? No.

Leslie Frazier? Lovie Smith? Absolutely.

I think you're absolutely right though. Take Denver's defense for example. They use Von Miller off the edge and create a significant amount of pressure seemingly right off the snap. The kicker? We have better personnel than they do.

I think Jarvis could be used in a very similar fashion that the Broncos use Von Miller. I think you could make a pretty strong case that we already have the personnel to run a 4-3 defense too. Heyward and Woodley as the DE's with McLendon and Hood as the Tackles. Hood being a 4-3 NT isn't optimal, but it's a start. McLendon is already built like a 4-3 DT though. He creates pressure right up the middle of the line right now too. He struggles stopping the run, but he can crash the Center and create pressure immediately. It's exactly what a 4-3 DT is supposed to do.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #37
NJarhead
Supporter

Quote:
LeBeau? No.

Leslie Frazier? Lovie Smith? Absolutely.

I think you're absolutely right though. Take Denver's defense for example. They use Von Miller off the edge and create a significant amount of pressure seemingly right off the snap. The kicker? We have better personnel than they do too.

I think Jarvis could be used in a very similar fashion that the Broncos use Von Miller. I think you could make a pretty strong case that we already have the personnel to run a 4-3 defense too. Heyward and Woodley as the DE's with McLendon and Hood as the Tackles. Hood being a 4-3 NT isn't optimal, but it's a start.
Why don't you think LeBeau could do it? Sure, he's known for the zone blitz in a 3-4, but surely he knows defense, period. Not that Tomlin would be too involved, but he's a Tampa 2 guy.

Speaking of John Fox, should LeBeau leave us, I would love to have him as DC. I don't think he's a great HC, but he was a great DC in New York.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #38
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarDen86 View Post
Why don't you think LeBeau could do it? Sure, he's known for the zone blitz in a 3-4, but surely he knows defense, period. Not that Tomlin would be too involved, but he's a Tampa 2 guy.

Speaking of John Fox, should LeBeau leave us, I would love to have him as DC. I don't think he's a great HC, but he was a great DC in New York.
I'd go with 'you can't teach an old dog new tricks'. I doubt he'd be willing to change schemes at this point in his career.

I think John Fox is safe until Manning leaves. He's 7-1 right now with quite possibly the best offense in the league. It's a shame too because you're right - he was a very good DC. Lovie Smith is in the same vein as John I think though, if not a better candidate. Ex COTY and runs an aggressive and attacking Tampa 2.

Plus Lovie said this at one point:

“That is why I have to laugh when I hear 'Tampa 2'. Chuck Noll and Bud Carson — that is where it came from, I changed very little.”

I want this guy as our DC. Bad.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #39
NJarhead
Supporter

Quote:
I'd go with 'you can't teach an old dog new tricks'. I doubt he'd be willing to change schemes at this point in his career.

I think John Fox is safe until Manning leaves. He's 7-1 right now with quite possibly the best offense in the league. It's a shame too because you're right - he was a very good DC. Lovie Smith is in the same vein as John I think though, if not a better candidate. Ex COTY and runs an aggressive and attacking Tampa 2.
In your words, "fair enough."

Quote:
Plus Lovie said this at one point:

“That is why I have to laugh when I hear 'Tampa 2'. Chuck Noll and Bud Carson — that is where it came from, I changed very little.”

I want this guy as our DC. Bad.
I can tell!
SteelersCanada (11-04-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 10:21 AM   #40
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

Quote:

Woodley actually is doing well at putting pressure to QB. The problem is that he's dropped for coverage too much.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote