Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 01-02-2014, 01:39 PM   #501
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
Thanked 1,151 Times in 549 Posts
My Mood: Drunk
Default Re: Draft. What's our biggest need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeBetties63 View Post
Do you know how many championships we won between Bradshaw and Big Ben? Thats right, Zero. Big Ben has five years left. He can take us to the title again. I was saying this when we were 0-4. Big Ben is NOT the problem with this team.
I never said he was a problem, I never said we need to run him out of town, all I said was if a QB is there it needs to be seriously considered. It most likely won't happen this draft but we're getting to the point where if we're picking and a potential franchise QB is on the board, we can't just write him off because we have Ben. I'd love for Ben to play 5 more years but 5 years? That's questionable, we can count on maybe 2 but past that nothing is close to a guarantee. He's not a rookie anymore, next year will be his 11th season. You brought up how we did nothing between Ben and Bradshaw, but that only strengthens what I'm trying to say, we have to start planning for when Ben is done, we can't just wait until he calls it quits and then scramble to find a new QB out of nowhere.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PhantomJB93 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-02-2014)
Old 01-02-2014, 01:46 PM   #502
emarines
Team Captain

Member Number: 25461

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
I never said he was a problem, I never said we need to run him out of town, all I said was if a QB is there it needs to be seriously considered. It most likely won't happen this draft but we're getting to the point where if we're picking and a potential franchise QB is on the board, we can't just write him off because we have Ben. I'd love for Ben to play 5 more years but 5 years? That's questionable, we can count on maybe 2 but past that nothing is close to a guarantee. He's not a rookie anymore, next year will be his 11th season. You brought up how we did nothing between Ben and Bradshaw, but that only strengthens what I'm trying to say, we have to start planning for when Ben is done, we can't just wait until he calls it quits and then scramble to find a new QB out of nowhere.
isn't that why the steelers drafted landry jones? he was a beast in college, throwing for over 16,000 yds and a butt load of td's!!! his college downfall is he got spooked in traffic!
emarines is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to emarines For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2014, 01:52 PM   #503
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
Thanked 1,151 Times in 549 Posts
My Mood: Drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by emarines View Post
isn't that why the steelers drafted landry jones? he was a beast in college, throwing for over 16,000 yds and a butt load of td's!!! his college downfall is he got spooked in traffic!
Sort of but it was more to have a backup who could potentially start down the road if all else fails. Landry Jones is more like Plan C, he has potential but at this point he is not anything to write home about or be counted upon. Roethlisberger is obviously Plan A. Plan B is to draft a true franchise QB in the first round at some point in the next few years.

And again, I'm not saying it will happen this year, because there's about a 99% chance it won't. I was speaking purely in hypotheticals as if Bridgewater was somehow available at our pick. And all I'm saying is QBs will be CONSIDERED now, not automatically picked. In the past they wouldn't even be on our board because Ben was the future, but he can no longer be looked to as "the future."
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:58 PM   #504
emarines
Team Captain

Member Number: 25461

Quote:
Sort of but it was more to have a backup who could potentially start down the road if all else fails. Landry Jones is more like Plan C, he has potential but at this point he is not anything to write home about or be counted upon. Roethlisberger is obviously Plan A. Plan B is to draft a true franchise QB in the first round at some point in the next few years.

And again, I'm not saying it will happen this year, because there's about a 99% chance it won't. I was speaking purely in hypotheticals as if Bridgewater was somehow available at our pick. And all I'm saying is QBs will be CONSIDERED now, not automatically picked. In the past they wouldn't even be on our board because Ben was the future, but he can no longer be looked to as "the future."
you seriously wont know about landry until he plays! he might just be the next great thing! the dude can sling a ball!!!
emarines is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to emarines For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2014, 02:23 PM   #505
JeromeBetties63
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 19049
My Mood: Worried

Quote:
Well, in my humble opinion, its too soon. We don't need a future franchise guy yet.
JeromeBetties63 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JeromeBetties63 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2014, 09:18 PM   #506
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 11,735 Times in 4,693 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Just thinking, but if Evans is on the board when we pick in the 1st, if we pass on him the Ravens might pick him up. They probably realized this year that counting on Flacco and pass interference isn't going to get them where they want to go.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:21 PM   #507
Steelstoned1972
UNLEASHING HELL SINCE '72
Supporter

Member Number: 16903
Thanked 3,460 Times in 1,921 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
Just thinking, but if Evans is on the board when we pick in the 1st, if we pass on him the Ravens might pick him up. They probably realized this year that counting on Flacco and pass interference isn't going to get them where they want to go.
Good point my friend , I'm torn on loading up on defense or getting a couple more toys to put the O over the top. So in other words my friend... BPA . And if it means taking a potential weapon away from the enemy , even better..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old 01-02-2014, 10:59 PM   #508
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

This thread is kicking ass.... IMO Velasco was our best center since Dawson... I thought his character on the field was amazing, seeing he was on the couch.. But the whole O-line is kicking but.. I can't wait to see who we draft. I love defensive drafts. We need some mean guys in there with attitude to put some fear in the league again IMO..
Old 01-02-2014, 11:03 PM   #509
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 11,735 Times in 4,693 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootawnee View Post
This thread is kicking ass.... IMO Velasco was our best center since Dawson... I thought his character on the field was amazing, seeing he was on the couch.. But the whole O-line is kicking but.. I can't wait to see who we draft. I love defensive drafts. We need some mean guys in there with attitude to put some fear in the league again IMO..
I liked Velasco a lot too. It will be very interesting to see which way they go. Velasco sounded like Mr. T at the line of scrimmage, and in my opinion handled the big DT better than Pouncey has in the past.

Velasco is 28 though, and Pouncey is still relatively young at 24.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to harrison'samonster For This Useful Post:
wootawnee (01-02-2014)
Old 01-02-2014, 11:29 PM   #510
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
I liked Velasco a lot too. It will be very interesting to see which way they go. Velasco sounded like Mr. T at the line of scrimmage, and in my opinion handled the big DT better than Pouncey has in the past.

Velasco is 28 though, and Pouncey is still relatively young at 24.
Mr T. haha yea bro.. You could hear him barking all over the stadium... He got that umty ump that Pouncey don't IMO(line coordinator).. QB of the line is what Webby did well too..... Maybe we could use them both and slide Pouncey over a spot. Tough decisions, but very good to have these ones with good players. Much better than the last few years in personnel on our line. Could be one of the best lines in the league shortly...