Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-24-2014, 06:59 PM   #761
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 12,601 Times in 5,204 Posts
My Mood: Amazed
Default Re: Draft. What's our biggest need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WokeUpWithaWoodley View Post
stanley jean baptiste is also opening eyes at the senior bowl

6-3 210lb corner

I like......second round
CB Stanley Jean-Baptiste, Nebraska

The buzz around practices was that NFL teams are now looking for the big, long, aggressive cornerback to fit into press coverage schemes. In short, teams want the next Richard Sherman.

Stanley Jean-Baptiste isn't quite Richard Sherman, but coaches and scouts will see a lot of similarities and a clay they can work with in his Nebraska game film and the abilities shown in practice. Jean-Baptiste has the frame (6'2 3/8", 215 lbs) and the fluid hips and feet to play in press coverage at the next level.

Some may knock his hip technique or how high he plays, but when you're over 6'2", you won't be as flexible as a smaller cornerback. That's OK, because a smaller cornerback can't press and jam like he can.

Don't be surprised to hear Jean-Baptiste's name called at the end of Day 1 or very early on Day 2.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...nior-bowl-week
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawaii 5-0 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-24-2014), WokeUpWithaWoodley (01-24-2014)
Old 01-24-2014, 07:22 PM   #762
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 1,913 Times in 732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
CB Stanley Jean-Baptiste, Nebraska

The buzz around practices was that NFL teams are now looking for the big, long, aggressive cornerback to fit into press coverage schemes. In short, teams want the next Richard Sherman.

Stanley Jean-Baptiste isn't quite Richard Sherman, but coaches and scouts will see a lot of similarities and a clay they can work with in his Nebraska game film and the abilities shown in practice. Jean-Baptiste has the frame (6'2 3/8", 215 lbs) and the fluid hips and feet to play in press coverage at the next level.

Some may knock his hip technique or how high he plays, but when you're over 6'2", you won't be as flexible as a smaller cornerback. That's OK, because a smaller cornerback can't press and jam like he can.

Don't be surprised to hear Jean-Baptiste's name called at the end of Day 1 or very early on Day 2.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...nior-bowl-week
Richard Sherman wasn't even supposed to be Richard Sherman. Once again, anyone in the league can succeed if they work hard and use their opportunities when they arise.
SH-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SH-Rock For This Useful Post:
Hawaii 5-0 (01-24-2014)
Old 01-24-2014, 08:30 PM   #763
vrabinec
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8821
Thanked 1,186 Times in 620 Posts
My Mood: Buzzed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WokeUpWithaWoodley View Post
stanley jean baptiste is also opening eyes at the senior bowl

6-3 210lb corner

I like......second round
No, a 6'3 corner never works. Too top heavy. No way a 6'3 guy changes direction fast enough to keep up with a receiver. Not unless he's Mel Blount, and I don't buy that this guy is, and the rules have been changed to prevent the Mel Blount kind of corner from succeeding.
vrabinec is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vrabinec For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-24-2014)
Old 01-24-2014, 08:33 PM   #764
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 22,906 Times in 9,357 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrabinec View Post
No, a 6'3 corner never works. Too top heavy. No way a 6'3 guy changes direction fast enough to keep up with a receiver. Not unless he's Mel Blount, and I don't buy that this guy is, and the rules have been changed to prevent the Mel Blount kind of corner from succeeding.
Richard Sherman...
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-24-2014), SteelersCanada (01-24-2014)
Old 01-24-2014, 08:45 PM   #765
Chaotic Zen
Water Boy

Member Number: 25646

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Richard Sherman...
Pshh, Richard Sherman. Not like he's very good. If he was so good he would lead the league in picks and his team would be in the super bowl.
Chaotic Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaotic Zen For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-24-2014)
Old 01-24-2014, 09:30 PM   #766
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,034 Times in 4,577 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrabinec View Post
Building off of what @teegre said, Tillman and Peterson are both 6'2. That's arguably three of the top five Corners in the league at 6'2 or bigger. A lot of guys just miss that 6'2 cut too, like Champ Bailey and Antonio Cromartie at 6'1.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:39 PM   #767
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,034 Times in 4,577 Posts

Regardless, Joyner > SJ-B.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:45 AM   #768
BLACK_AND_YELLOW
Team President

Member Number: 18312
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,258 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post

If Dennard runs a 4.4 40 he'll be the #1 corner Imo but Gilbert has return skills and great ball skills(DD does to) which could still keep him above Dennard.

But I still believe Dennard is the better cover corner, his play at MSU reminded me of Darrelle Revis when he was at PITT meaning he was left on an "island" or in Dennard case the "No Fly Zone" while letting the the rest of the defense not worry about his side of the field.

Cant hate this comparison...
15. Pittsburgh Steelers (8-8): Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State.

Imagine Troy Polamalu as a cornerback. That’s not an across-the-board comparison, but Dennard brings a lot of those Polamalu traits to the field. Namely, he plays with an edge, a trait highlighted in how aggressively he dives down to pitch in against the run. Pittsburgh’s corners were putrid at times in 2013, so the value of finding Dennard all the way down at 15 would be a godsend.

http://nfl.si.com/2014/01/08/2014-nf...nny-manziel-2/
BLACK_AND_YELLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:57 AM   #769
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 9,006 Times in 3,523 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK_AND_YELLOW View Post
If Dennard runs a 4.4 40 he'll be the #1 corner Imo but Gilbert has return skills and great ball skills(DD does to) which could still keep him above Dennard.

But I still believe Dennard is the better cover corner, his play at MSU reminded me of Darrelle Revis when he was at PITT meaning he was left on an "island" or in Dennard case the "No Fly Zone" while letting the the rest of the defense not worry about his side of the field.

Imagine Troy Polamalu as a cornerback. That’s not an across-the-board comparison, but Dennard brings a lot of those Polamalu traits to the field. Namely, he plays with an edge, a trait highlighted in how aggressively he dives down to pitch in against the run. Pittsburgh’s corners were putrid at times in 2013, so the value of finding Dennard all the way down at 15 would be a godsend.

I love Dennard. He has a great all around game and toughness.

Gilbert has the prototypical size that the Steelers look for in a corner. It's always hard to know how they have them rated on their board, but historically, Gilbert's size fits what they do. If they had their choice, history says they take Gilbert.

I would love to have either of these guys.
pczach is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pczach For This Useful Post:
BLACK_AND_YELLOW (01-25-2014)
Old 01-25-2014, 06:29 AM   #770
emarines
Team Captain

Member Number: 25461

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK_AND_YELLOW View Post

speed is the biggest worry about dennard. i read they worry about if he gets beat on a route, does he have the speed to recover? if either gilbert or dennard are picked at 15....sweet!!!
emarines is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to emarines For This Useful Post:
BLACK_AND_YELLOW (01-25-2014)