Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2014, 06:59 PM   #761
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter
 
Hawaii 5-0's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The Aloha State
Posts: 8,951
Gender: Male
Member Number: 24013
Thanks: 7,787
Thanked 10,256 Times in 4,390 Posts
My Mood: Worried
Default Re: Draft. What's our biggest need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WokeUpWithaWoodley View Post
stanley jean baptiste is also opening eyes at the senior bowl

6-3 210lb corner

I like......second round
CB Stanley Jean-Baptiste, Nebraska

The buzz around practices was that NFL teams are now looking for the big, long, aggressive cornerback to fit into press coverage schemes. In short, teams want the next Richard Sherman.

Stanley Jean-Baptiste isn't quite Richard Sherman, but coaches and scouts will see a lot of similarities and a clay they can work with in his Nebraska game film and the abilities shown in practice. Jean-Baptiste has the frame (6'2 3/8", 215 lbs) and the fluid hips and feet to play in press coverage at the next level.

Some may knock his hip technique or how high he plays, but when you're over 6'2", you won't be as flexible as a smaller cornerback. That's OK, because a smaller cornerback can't press and jam like he can.

Don't be surprised to hear Jean-Baptiste's name called at the end of Day 1 or very early on Day 2.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...nior-bowl-week
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawaii 5-0 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-24-2014), WokeUpWithaWoodley (01-24-2014)
Old 01-24-2014, 07:22 PM   #762
SH-Rock
Living Legend
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,714
Member Number: 15497
Thanks: 445
Thanked 1,026 Times in 412 Posts
Default Re: Draft. What's our biggest need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
CB Stanley Jean-Baptiste, Nebraska

The buzz around practices was that NFL teams are now looking for the big, long, aggressive cornerback to fit into press coverage schemes. In short, teams want the next Richard Sherman.

Stanley Jean-Baptiste isn't quite Richard Sherman, but coaches and scouts will see a lot of similarities and a clay they can work with in his Nebraska game film and the abilities shown in practice. Jean-Baptiste has the frame (6'2 3/8", 215 lbs) and the fluid hips and feet to play in press coverage at the next level.

Some may knock his hip technique or how high he plays, but when you're over 6'2", you won't be as flexible as a smaller cornerback. That's OK, because a smaller cornerback can't press and jam like he can.

Don't be surprised to hear Jean-Baptiste's name called at the end of Day 1 or very early on Day 2.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...nior-bowl-week
Richard Sherman wasn't even supposed to be Richard Sherman. Once again, anyone in the league can succeed if they work hard and use their opportunities when they arise.
SH-Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SH-Rock For This Useful Post:
Hawaii 5-0 (01-24-2014)
Old 01-24-2014, 08:30 PM   #763
vrabinec
Assistant Coach
 
vrabinec's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,344
Member Number: 8821
Thanks: 320
Thanked 1,165 Times in 611 Posts
My Mood: Buzzed
Default Re: Draft. What's our biggest need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WokeUpWithaWoodley View Post
stanley jean baptiste is also opening eyes at the senior bowl

6-3 210lb corner

I like......second round
No, a 6'3 corner never works. Too top heavy. No way a 6'3 guy changes direction fast enough to keep up with a receiver. Not unless he's Mel Blount, and I don't buy that this guy is, and the rules have been changed to prevent the Mel Blount kind of corner from succeeding.
vrabinec is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vrabinec For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-24-2014)
Old 01-24-2014, 08:33 PM   #764
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter
 
teegre's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 13,521
Member Number: 24108
Thanks: 17,891
Thanked 18,991 Times in 8,013 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: Draft. What's our biggest need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrabinec View Post
No, a 6'3 corner never works. Too top heavy. No way a 6'3 guy changes direction fast enough to keep up with a receiver. Not unless he's Mel Blount, and I don't buy that this guy is, and the rules have been changed to prevent the Mel Blount kind of corner from succeeding.
Richard Sherman...
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-24-2014), SteelersCanada (01-24-2014)
Old 01-24-2014, 08:45 PM   #765
Chaotic Zen
Water Boy
 
Chaotic Zen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 34
Member Number: 25646
Thanks: 0
Thanked 26 Times in 15 Posts
Default Re: Draft. What's our biggest need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Richard Sherman...
Pshh, Richard Sherman. Not like he's very good. If he was so good he would lead the league in picks and his team would be in the super bowl.
Chaotic Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaotic Zen For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (01-24-2014)
Old 01-24-2014, 09:30 PM   #766
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter
 
SteelersCanada's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 7,295
Member Number: 24400
Thanks: 5,285
Thanked 9,451 Times in 4,045 Posts
Default Re: Draft. What's our biggest need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrabinec View Post
No, a 6'3 corner never works. Too top heavy. No way a 6'3 guy changes direction fast enough to keep up with a receiver. Not unless he's Mel Blount, and I don't buy that this guy is, and the rules have been changed to prevent the Mel Blount kind of corner from succeeding.
Building off of what @teegre said, Tillman and Peterson are both 6'2. That's arguably three of the top five Corners in the league at 6'2 or bigger. A lot of guys just miss that 6'2 cut too, like Champ Bailey and Antonio Cromartie at 6'1.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:39 PM   #767
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter
 
SteelersCanada's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 7,295
Member Number: 24400
Thanks: 5,285
Thanked 9,451 Times in 4,045 Posts
Default Re: Draft. What's our biggest need?

Regardless, Joyner > SJ-B.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:45 AM   #768
BLACK_AND_YELLOW
Head Coach
 
BLACK_AND_YELLOW's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,788
Gender: Male
Member Number: 18312
Thanks: 752
Thanked 2,110 Times in 1,003 Posts
My Mood: Relaxed
Default Re: Draft. What's our biggest need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post

If Dennard runs a 4.4 40 he'll be the #1 corner Imo but Gilbert has return skills and great ball skills(DD does to) which could still keep him above Dennard.

But I still believe Dennard is the better cover corner, his play at MSU reminded me of Darrelle Revis when he was at PITT meaning he was left on an "island" or in Dennard case the "No Fly Zone" while letting the the rest of the defense not worry about his side of the field.

Cant hate this comparison...
15. Pittsburgh Steelers (8-8): Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State.

Imagine Troy Polamalu as a cornerback. That’s not an across-the-board comparison, but Dennard brings a lot of those Polamalu traits to the field. Namely, he plays with an edge, a trait highlighted in how aggressively he dives down to pitch in against the run. Pittsburgh’s corners were putrid at times in 2013, so the value of finding Dennard all the way down at 15 would be a godsend.

http://nfl.si.com/2014/01/08/2014-nf...nny-manziel-2/
__________________
“Never say never, because limits, like fears, are often just an illusion.” - Michael Jordan
BLACK_AND_YELLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:57 AM   #769
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter
 
pczach's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4,784
Gender: Male
Member Number: 24694
Thanks: 8,969
Thanked 7,647 Times in 3,119 Posts
My Mood: Amused
Default Re: Draft. What's our biggest need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK_AND_YELLOW View Post
If Dennard runs a 4.4 40 he'll be the #1 corner Imo but Gilbert has return skills and great ball skills(DD does to) which could still keep him above Dennard.

But I still believe Dennard is the better cover corner, his play at MSU reminded me of Darrelle Revis when he was at PITT meaning he was left on an "island" or in Dennard case the "No Fly Zone" while letting the the rest of the defense not worry about his side of the field.

Cant hate this comparison...
15. Pittsburgh Steelers (8-8): Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State.

Imagine Troy Polamalu as a cornerback. That’s not an across-the-board comparison, but Dennard brings a lot of those Polamalu traits to the field. Namely, he plays with an edge, a trait highlighted in how aggressively he dives down to pitch in against the run. Pittsburgh’s corners were putrid at times in 2013, so the value of finding Dennard all the way down at 15 would be a godsend.

http://nfl.si.com/2014/01/08/2014-nf...nny-manziel-2/
I love Dennard. He has a great all around game and toughness.

Gilbert has the prototypical size that the Steelers look for in a corner. It's always hard to know how they have them rated on their board, but historically, Gilbert's size fits what they do. If they had their choice, history says they take Gilbert.

I would love to have either of these guys.
pczach is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pczach For This Useful Post:
BLACK_AND_YELLOW (01-25-2014)
Old 01-25-2014, 06:29 AM   #770
emarines
Team Captain
 
emarines's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Nanty-Glo, Pa
Posts: 818
Gender: Male
Member Number: 25461
Thanks: 354
Thanked 990 Times in 586 Posts
Default Re: Draft. What's our biggest need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK_AND_YELLOW View Post
If Dennard runs a 4.4 40 he'll be the #1 corner Imo but Gilbert has return skills and great ball skills(DD does to) which could still keep him above Dennard.

But I still believe Dennard is the better cover corner, his play at MSU reminded me of Darrelle Revis when he was at PITT meaning he was left on an "island" or in Dennard case the "No Fly Zone" while letting the the rest of the defense not worry about his side of the field.

Cant hate this comparison...
15. Pittsburgh Steelers (8-8): Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State.

Imagine Troy Polamalu as a cornerback. That’s not an across-the-board comparison, but Dennard brings a lot of those Polamalu traits to the field. Namely, he plays with an edge, a trait highlighted in how aggressively he dives down to pitch in against the run. Pittsburgh’s corners were putrid at times in 2013, so the value of finding Dennard all the way down at 15 would be a godsend.

http://nfl.si.com/2014/01/08/2014-nf...nny-manziel-2/
speed is the biggest worry about dennard. i read they worry about if he gets beat on a route, does he have the speed to recover? if either gilbert or dennard are picked at 15....sweet!!!
emarines is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to emarines For This Useful Post:
BLACK_AND_YELLOW (01-25-2014)
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts