Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 02-24-2014, 09:45 AM   #941
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,983 Times in 4,248 Posts
Default Re: Draft. What's our biggest need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH-Rock View Post
What if we don't select a S, WR, NT first round at all? What if we let Woodley and Woirlds go and select a OLB/DE? I really doubt someone like Barr or Mack would fall, but there's still Kony Ealy or Dee Ford. That would also probably mean getting a CB/S in free agency if we still want a quality tall WR.
This is the idea that I'm pushing. I don't want Worilds back, and I want Kony Ealy.

I don't know about a CB in free agency. In the second round, Roby or Joyner would be a solid pick. Or, if you wanted to go the Safety route, Ed Reynolds. To cover all of our bases, Martavis Bryant in the second round would also be a great pick at 6'5, 200 lbs.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
Bane (02-24-2014), harrison'samonster (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 10:25 AM   #942
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Donald is becoming one of those guys that, despite not really fitting in our 3-4 scheme, if he's on the board it's going to be tough to pass him up.
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 10:29 AM   #943
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 1,176 Times in 472 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post

Donald is becoming one of those guys that, despite not really fitting in our 3-4 scheme, if he's on the board it's going to be tough to pass him up.
Hopefully he goes up even higher so that some other quality player falls.
SH-Rock is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SH-Rock For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-24-2014), SteelersCanada (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 10:58 AM   #944
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Joey Porter was just shown at the combine as well. Mayock and Eisen gushed a little bit over him and his physical play, as well as envying his ability to "always have a strong opinion". If there's a guy I want judging Linebackers at the combine for us, it's Joey.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
Bane (02-24-2014), harrison'samonster (02-24-2014), Men of Steel (02-24-2014), Steelers>NFL (02-24-2014), steelfury02 (02-24-2014), Steel_Bus_24 (02-24-2014), teegre (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 01:50 PM   #945
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Telvin Smith... wow.

4.53 official 40 time. He's a very similar build to Kam Chancellor, a guy that we're all envious of. Coming in at 6'3, 218 lbs., he'd be a perfect SS for our scheme. He's excellent in coverage and has the ability to lay the wood, again, similar to Kam Chancellor. If we're looking for a guy that may indeed need a year to sit and learn behind a first ballot Hall of Fame player in Troy, then Telvin Smith is the answer here. At the next level, I can't see Smith being a Linebacker due to his size. However, he completely fits the new billing of Safety that Kam has played a major part in inspiring. I know guys like @teegre have been high on Deone Bucannon, but put me on the Telvin Smith for SS bandwagon.

Put this kid in the black and gold. If that means Shamarko plays FS, so be it.
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
teegre (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 02:00 PM   #946
Rotorhead
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 703
My Mood: Relaxed

I don't think the team is looking in the first 3 for a Safety. I honestly think they will resign WAllen, keep Troy and use Shark. I am of the opinion they are going to select a S next draft. After the JJ performance, I would cower away from having another rookie OLB starter as well. I think they resign either Worilds or Woodley regardless if they get an OLB early (which I would like them to do). WR is so deep we can afford to wait to get one later. I would really like the #1 or #2 pick to be CB. Other than that, there are alot of places to go with everthing else, OLB, ILB, S, TE, OT, WR - we could use them all.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:08 PM   #947
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
I don't think the team is looking in the first 3 for a Safety. I honestly think they will resign WAllen, keep Troy and use Shark. I am of the opinion they are going to select a S next draft. After the JJ performance, I would cower away from having another rookie OLB starter as well. I think they resign either Worilds or Woodley regardless if they get an OLB early (which I would like them to do). WR is so deep we can afford to wait to get one later. I would really like the #1 or #2 pick to be CB. Other than that, there are alot of places to go with everthing else, OLB, ILB, S, TE, OT, WR - we could use them all.
Will Allen isn't the answer at Safety. If we get another Safety, why would we even keep Allen on the roster? He's a depth player that we brought back out of sheer necessity. He failed to stay on the Cowboys' roster, and they boasted one of the worst secondaries in the NFL. Our secondary right now, outside of Cortez Allen, is fighting for one of the worst. Youth and talent, as well as depth, is absolutely needed.

Telvin Smith isn't going to be a first or second round pick, either. He's going to be a third - fourth round guy who has amazing upside as a Safety.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:34 PM   #948
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Also, this is why I don't really pay attention to Gil Brandt anymore. He has Johnny Manziel number one overall, despite all of his red flags on and off the field, but says this:

Senility is a bitch, I guess.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:00 PM   #949
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 20,621 Times in 8,595 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
Telvin Smith... wow.

4.53 official 40 time. He's a very similar build to Kam Chancellor, a guy that we're all envious of. Coming in at 6'3, 218 lbs., he'd be a perfect SS for our scheme. He's excellent in coverage and has the ability to lay the wood, again, similar to Kam Chancellor. If we're looking for a guy that may indeed need a year to sit and learn behind a first ballot Hall of Fame player in Troy, then Telvin Smith is the answer here. At the next level, I can't see Smith being a Linebacker due to his size. However, he completely fits the new billing of Safety that Kam has played a major part in inspiring. I know guys like @teegre have been high on Deone Bucannon, but put me on the Telvin Smith for SS bandwagon.

Put this kid in the black and gold. If that means Shamarko plays FS, so be it.
Carnell Lake played LB, before switching to SS in the pros.

So, if it were to be done, Lake is the coach that you'd want.
teegre is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
SteelersCanada (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 03:07 PM   #950
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 20,621 Times in 8,595 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH-Rock View Post
What if we don't select a S, WR, NT first round at all? What if we let Woodley and Woirlds go and select a OLB/DE? I really doubt someone like Barr or Mack would fall, but there's still Kony Ealy or Dee Ford. That would also probably mean getting a CB/S in free agency if we still want a quality tall WR.
I saw a mock on DraftTek, which is a computer-algorithm based draft website. Anyway, it had the following for the Steelers:

R1: CB, Darqueze Dennard
R2: OLB, Dee Ford
And, SS Deone Bucannon went 96th (which is right around the time that the Steelers make their comp pick).

I really want Nix, but Ford in R2 and then, also getting Bucannon in R3... wow!!! that would be a helluva draft!!!

Anyway, the point being: I'd be fine with going for an OLB, and letting Wprilds walk... especially if that OLB is Dee Ford.
teegre is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
BLACK_AND_YELLOW (02-24-2014), pczach (02-24-2014)