Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 02-24-2014, 08:40 PM   #971
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Drunk
Default Re: Draft. What's our biggest need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
If we get Khalil Mack I'm going to weep tears of joy. His 4.62 forty is going to prevent this from happening, though. Anthony Barr, on the other hand, is a realistic choice. He didn't have a great combine and he's only been an OLB for a couple of years now. I've said he might drop and he may indeed drop.
Anthony Barr's path to the draft is reminding me a lot of Jarvis Jones's last year. He was a top 5 lock for so long and is suddenly dropping just because other guys (Ansah and Mingo last year, Mack and Jernigan this year) are shooting up boards after the combine. I still think Barr will be gone when we pick, especially since he doesn't have the health concerns dragging him down that Jarvis did but wow, I never thought in a million years we'd land Jarvis at 17 last year and I never thought in a million years we'd get Barr at 15 this year.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PhantomJB93 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-24-2014), SH-Rock (02-25-2014), SteelersCanada (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 08:44 PM   #972
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 21,536 Times in 8,892 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
If they don't resign Worilds, Woodley is only getting cut if Barr or Mack falls into our lap. There is NO WAY they are going to roll out Jones and a rookie that isn't Clowney, Barr, or Mack.

The whole reason the "Woodley getting cut" thing is even a possibility is to re-sign Worilds. As disappointing as Woodley has been lately, there is really no reason at all to cut him if that's not the case. Even if we wait until June 1 we're paying him the same as if he stayed here, the only real reason he'd be cut would be for Worilds to play because he'd be wasted on the bench, but there's a 90% chance Woodley would still start over any rookie we draft.

If we draft a new OLB, he won't be ready to contribute this year anyway AND he won't really count much against the cap at all. That means Woodley or Worilds stays.
I hear what you're saying, but I think that there has been a burning of bridges between Woodley & the Steelers.

Remember, once Worilds took over, Woodley was "guaranteed" his starting role back. This did not sit well with Woodley, but more importantly, indicates that Woodley's not sitting well with the coaching staff.
teegre is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-24-2014), SteelersCanada (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 08:48 PM   #973
emarines
Team Captain

Member Number: 25461

murphy...nobody else!!!!
emarines is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to emarines For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 08:52 PM   #974
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
I hear what you're saying, but I think that there has been a burning of bridges between Woodley & the Steelers.

Remember, once Worilds took over, Woodley was "guaranteed" his starting role back. This did not sit well with Woodley, but more importantly, indicates that Woodley's not sitting well with the coaching staff.
IDK, I just don't see it. He seems to love Pittsburgh. He seems to be one of the more well-liked guys in the locker room. He's never been a problem off the field other than "conditioning" for camp which ironically he has done a much better job of the past two seasons but it didn't pay any dividends on the field. I don't think this is a Santonio situation at all. I could be wrong but the only burnt bridge I see is the fact that he stopped producing at an All-Pro level.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PhantomJB93 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-24-2014), SteelersCanada (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 08:57 PM   #975
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 11,375 Times in 4,784 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Pittsburgh Steelers: Scouting Combine Tracker for Steelers' Potential Targets

By Rob Goldberg , Featured Columnist Feb. 20, 2014

There are a bunch of needs on the defensive side of the ball, but the Steelers have to make sure to add both a safety and a cornerback at some point in the draft.

The big question is what the team does in free agency. If Ryan Clark is allowed to leave, it creates a big hole at safety. The same could be said at cornerback if Ike Taylor does not take a pay cut and is released.

In either of these situations, it would be almost a necessity to grab the best player available in the first round. On the other hand if these veterans return, the Steelers should at least draft a mid-round prospect that can develop later.

Here is a look at the top options the team should be looking at during the combine in various rounds.

Name Pos. School Proj. Round Height* Weight*

Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State 1 5'11" 197
Justin Gilbert CB Oklahoma State 1 6'0" 200
Ha Ha Clinton-Dix FS Alabama 1 6'1" 208
Calvin Pryor FS Louisville 1 6'2" 208
Stanley Jean-Baptiste CB Nebraska 2 6'3" 215
Terrence Brooks FS Florida State 3 5'11" 197
Pierre Desir CB Lindenwood 3 6'1" 195
Ahmad Dixon SS Baylor 4 6'0" 205
Phillip Gaines CB Rice 6 6'1" 195
*Unofficial

The top names are truly game-changing players and can all be immediate starters from Week 1.

Darqueze Dennard has proven the skill to be a shutdown cornerback, while Justin Gilbert has the athleticism and playmaking ability of a star. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and Calvin Pryor are both hard-hitting players who can excel against both the pass and the run.

If the Steelers have an opening in the secondary come draft day, they should grab one of these players without hesitation.

On the other hand, there are a number of top options later in the draft who could develop to be stars in the future. Pierre Desir is someone who can truly impress at the combine after struggling to get noticed at Lindenwood.

He is one of a few second-day options to watch in Indianapolis.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...targets/page/2
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hawaii 5-0 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-24-2014), SteelersCanada (02-24-2014), Steelstoned1972 (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 09:02 PM   #976
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 10,364 Times in 4,377 Posts

1. Darqueze Dennard
2. Martavis Bryant
3. Telvin Smith

SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-24-2014), Hawaii 5-0 (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 09:19 PM   #977
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 11,375 Times in 4,784 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
1. Darqueze Dennard
2. Martavis Bryant
3. Telvin Smith

WR Bryant could be a fit for Steelers

Posted Feb 25, 2014 via espnnflblog

PITTSBURGH -- The Pittsburgh Steelers almost certainly won't get a chance to draft Sammy Watkins.But the other wide receiver from Clemson could be a possibility in the second round if the Steelers address a different position with the 15th overall pick.ESPN draft analysts Steve Muench and Kevin Weidl wrote that Martavis Bryant was among the wide receivers who helped themselves at the NFL combine, and indeed he posted impressive measurables across the board as he clocked unofficial forty times of 4.34 and 4.35 at the NFL Combine . [...].

http://www.fantasysp.com/player/nfl/...t-for-steelers
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hawaii 5-0 For This Useful Post:
Bane (02-24-2014), harrison'samonster (02-24-2014), SteelersCanada (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 09:20 PM   #978
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
WR Bryant could be a fit for Steelers

Posted Feb 25, 2014 via espnnflblog

PITTSBURGH -- The Pittsburgh Steelers almost certainly won't get a chance to draft Sammy Watkins.But the other wide receiver from Clemson could be a possibility in the second round if the Steelers address a different position with the 15th overall pick.ESPN draft analysts Steve Muench and Kevin Weidl wrote that Martavis Bryant was among the wide receivers who helped themselves at the NFL combine, and indeed he posted impressive measurables across the board.

http://www.fantasysp.com/player/nfl/...t-for-steelers
He's a freak. 6'5 200 lbs. and runs a 4.35? He also had a very impressive gauntlet and dropped (from what I saw/counted) two passes at the combine. Throw Wheaties in the slot and have Heath play over the middle and you have a pretty ridiculous receiving corp. with Bell in the backfield.

Make it happen, Kevin.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
Bane (02-24-2014), harrison'samonster (02-24-2014), Hawaii 5-0 (02-24-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 09:35 PM   #979
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 21,536 Times in 8,892 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
IDK, I just don't see it. He seems to love Pittsburgh. He seems to be one of the more well-liked guys in the locker room. He's never been a problem off the field other than "conditioning" for camp which ironically he has done a much better job of the past two seasons but it didn't pay any dividends on the field. I don't think this is a Santonio situation at all. I could be wrong but the only burnt bridge I see is the fact that he stopped producing at an All-Pro level.
Don't get me wrong: it's not a character issue... it's a work ethic issue.

Everyone loves Woodley, but there were comments leaked out of the lockerroom about his commitment to staying healthy and/or his work habits. Then, the coaches essentially demoted him. I'm not sure that anyone thinks that he'll ever be the player he once was.

Like Kendrell Bell... (sans the steroids).
teegre is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-24-2014), steelfury02 (02-25-2014)
Old 02-24-2014, 10:00 PM   #980
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Don't get me wrong: it's not a character issue... it's a work ethic issue.

Everyone loves Woodley, but there were comments leaked out of the lockerroom about his commitment to staying healthy and/or his work habits. Then, the coaches essentially demoted him. I'm not sure that anyone thinks that he'll ever be the player he once was.

Like Kendrell Bell... (sans the steroids).
I'm holding out hope that he'll come back from Arizona trimmed and back in his '09 form. I'm just frustrated/confused as to why he didn't go train in Arizona last year. I guess losing his job finally awoke something in him. If losing his job lights the fire under him again, then I'm willing to overlook the last two seasons. If he comes to camp once again out of shape, then I'm going to put the label of "finished" on him.

Back in 2010 I thought Woodley had 85 - 100 sack potential. That almost seems like a whole other player now.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-24-2014), Hawaii 5-0 (02-24-2014), steelfury02 (02-25-2014), teegre (02-24-2014)