Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-03-2006, 04:15 AM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,803 Times in 4,078 Posts
Default Draft picks find it hard to make team

Sunday, September 03, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Draft choices found it difficult making the Steelers' final roster, but it might not be a reflection on them as much as it is on the strength and depth of the defending Super Bowl champions.

Coach Bill Cowher waived four rookie draft picks over the past two days, including a fourth-rounder for the second consecutive year, throwing away more than half a million dollars in bonuses the Steelers gave those rookies to sign contracts.

Defensive end Orien Harris, their second pick in the fourth round and the 133rd overall in the April draft, was waived, the same fate that happened last year to receiver Fred Gibson, their fourth-round pick.

Harris cost the Steelers a $278,000 signing bonus. They also threw away $115,000 in a signing bonus on quarterback Omar Jacobs and another $104,000 on tight end Charles Davis -- both fifth-round picks who were waived.

Seventh-round pick Cedric Humes, a halfback, also was bounced from the roster Friday, a move that cost the team only $30,000 in a signing bonus. In total, the Steelers paid the four rookies they cut $527,000 in signing bonuses.

Any or all could join the practice squad today, depending on whether the Steelers want them on their eight-man unit and if they are not claimed off waivers by another NFL club and put on that team's 53-man roster.

In a bit of a surprise, the Steelers released veteran wide receiver Quincy Morgan, which leaves them with six wide receivers.

The rest of the cuts that were made Friday and yesterday:

Quarterback Shane Boyd, punter Mike Barr, offensive lineman Tim Brown, tight end Jon Dekker, fullback Branden Joe, running back John Kuhn, safety Mike Lorello, cornerback Anthony Madison, wide receiver Lee Mays, defensive end Shaun Nua, defensive tackle Scott Paxson, linebacker Richard Seigler, linebacker Ron Stanley, linebacker Andre Frazier, offensive tackle Brandon Torrey, defensive end Lee Vickers and wide receiver Walter Young.

Because Ben Roethlisberger and Charlie Batch are the only quarterbacks on the roster, wide receiver Cedrick Wilson will be used at the position if both are injured during a game.

"We've worked on him in practice with some snaps doing that, that would be the emergency guy," Cowher said. "We've not really ever gotten to that point -- I hate to say that, but I just did. If that were the case, that's where we would go."

Among the bigger disappointments to the Steelers was Nua. A backup defensive end job was his to lose, and he did it. Instead, the job went to veteran Rodney Bailey, who re-signed with the team two years after he left as a restricted free agent.

Nua, a seventh-round choice in 2005, was on the practice squad last fall when San Francisco offered him a contract. The Steelers then offered to put him on the 53-man roster, and he accepted their deal instead.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 04:20 AM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,803 Times in 4,078 Posts
Default Re: Draft picks find it hard to make team

i wouldve prefered we package these picks to move up and draft m. robinson, but then again theres no guarantte that he would even make the team.

draft day is fun, but winning the sb with the correct 53 man roster is even funner.

sure we are letting go some good players and prospects, but to keep them would mean releasing someone even better, who could help the team repeat.

(i remember before the draft, popular opinion was that we should draft matin nance and c. humes with our 3rd and 4th round pick anyways, so things could be worse.)
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 08:28 AM   #3
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

draft day is fun, but winning the sb with the correct 53 man roster is even funner.

sure we are letting go some good players and prospects, but to keep them would mean releasing someone even better, who could help the team repeat.

(i remember before the draft, popular opinion was that we should draft matin nance and c. humes with our 3rd and 4th round pick anyways, so things could be worse.)
A-freakin-MEN
Old 09-03-2006, 09:13 AM   #4
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225

Ummm.... Didn't we need 3 quarterbacks last year? Ben was out 3 games for knee surgery, Batch was out with a broken hand. Maddox had to play. I dunno if keeping only 2 QB's is wise. I'll put my trust in Bill.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:39 AM   #5
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Quote:
Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
Ummm.... Didn't we need 3 quarterbacks last year? Ben was out 3 games for knee surgery, Batch was out with a broken hand. Maddox had to play. I dunno if keeping only 2 QB's is wise. I'll put my trust in Bill.
While I am a little nervous about only two QBs myself, I think what Cowher was referring to was losing two QBs in the same game. Obviously, if Ben or Charlie were listed as out before a game, they would sign someone off the PS.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote