Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 11-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
milehighsteeler
Water Boy

Member Number: 25415
Default Times, they are a changing....

I've been having a similar discussion with other Steelers fans. Does the Steelers' system need to change? Then I saw this piece..... Times they are a changin..

"Inheriting a team with so many All-Pro caliber players – a team some say former-head coach, Bill Cowher, built – can inflate anyone’s ego and it has grabbed ahold of Tomlin by the horns.

The 2007 Steelers team was two-years removed from winning a Super Bowl under the tutelage of Cowher. The All-Pros had such a strong voice within the locker-room that coaching was reasonably ‘simple’ during the fledgling years of Tomlin’s first head-coaching gig. Players like Hines Ward; Aaron Smith; James Farrior; Casey Hampton and more, exhibited the Steelers mantra as well as any team since the 1970’s Steel-Curtain dynasty. Players like Troy Polamalu; James Harrison; Ben Roethlisberger; Ike Taylor and others were in the prime of their accolade-winning careers.

Now, many of those players have either moved on, retired or are fast-diminishing in their skills. Imaginably, coaching is now more difficult for Tomlin."

HERE is the rest of the article.
milehighsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,102 Times in 3,082 Posts
Default Re: Times, they are a changing....

It is a valid point but kind of redundant and stating the obvious.

We have seen the same sort of exodus of HOF pro bowl players in the early 80's, after 97, 2006, and now.

This isn't the Rooney's first rodeo.

In the meantime, I will sit back, enjoy every game in isolation of this down season, and laugh at the portion of the fan base that is in 100% panic and meltdown mode.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
NSMaster56
Team Owner

Member Number: 23979
Thanked 3,465 Times in 1,607 Posts

A switch to a 4-3 is arguable for many reasons. Whether or not it would translate to more success with current personnel is uncertain.

The biggest change is the O, obviously.

Whatever improvements Haley's system instill before Ben went went down with his 2012 mid-season injury have not continued.
NSMaster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NSMaster56 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (11-07-2013)
Old 11-07-2013, 06:44 PM   #4
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,604 Times in 4,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSMaster56 View Post
A switch to a 4-3 is arguable for many reasons. Whether or not it would translate to more success with current personnel is uncertain.

The biggest change is the O, obviously.

Whatever improvements Haley's system instill before Ben went went down with his 2012 mid-season injury have not continued.
If we're going to change to the 4-3, that decision needs to be made prior to the draft. If we're not changing, we have to take Anthony Barr. That's sort of off topic a bit, but it's my 2 cents on the whole thing.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
GBMelBlount (11-07-2013), harrison'samonster (11-07-2013), NSMaster56 (11-07-2013)
Old 11-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #5
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,400 Times in 2,932 Posts

Ed.B. of the P-G on switching to the 4-3

Every once in awhile we receive a suggestion that the Steelers switch to a 4-3 defense, which has not been their base defense since the 1981 season. So, let’s see how that might work if, say, they wanted to try it for 2014.

First, they must re-sign Ziggy Hood, whose contract is up. He would play one defensive tackle. The other would be Steve McLendon. Let’s assume for this purpose that Brett Keisel either retires or they don’t invite him back, not that he’s playing poorly. His contract is up and he will be 36 next September and he could be caught up in their next transition stage.

Cameron Heyward plays one end and LaMarr Woodley plays the other. Jarvis Jones plays one outside linebacker. Now, you need another linebacker on the outside. I’d pick Lawrence Timmons for that job.

That leaves an inside linebacker. Larry Foote might hold the fort there one more season until they get one. Or maybe they believe Vince Williams can handle it. Or maybe they draft one or sign one in free agency.

There is one problem with the 4-3 defense as we look at it. Depth. They have none in the line, none at linebacker. But then, they don’t have much now either.

I’m not a big fan of them switching to the 4-3 defense because no one has explained to me the benefits of doing so, and the 3-4 has worked well for a long time here. But that’s what you’d possibly be looking at for 2014 if they decided to do so, and I have heard nothing along those lines.

http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/...s/201311070002

I have major issues with any transition that involves bringing Ziggy back
GBMelBlount (11-07-2013), NSMaster56 (11-07-2013)
Old 11-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #6
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
If we're going to change to the 4-3, that decision needs to be made prior to the draft.
Absolutely.

I also have no problem with us drafting heavily defense in 2014.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #7
NSMaster56
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
Absolutely.

I also have no problem with us drafting heavily defense in 2014.
Regardless of scheme it needs to be the focus.

While it may be naive to overly rely on defense in Roger Goodell's Flag Football League, if the defense could improve enough to stall two drive a game (be it by stops or TOs) and take three points off the board it would probably buy a few wins.

There are enough pieces on offense to work with and even with more they may never be too much beyond average.

Must re-calibrate this D.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #8
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSMaster56 View Post
Regardless of scheme it needs to be the focus.

While it may be naive to overly rely on defense in Roger Goodell's Flag Football League, if the defense could improve enough to stall two drive a game (be it by stops or TOs) and take three points off the board it would probably buy a few wins.

There are enough pieces on offense to work with and even with more they may never be too much beyond average.

Must re-calibrate this D.
Agreed.

It may be another year before we really know what is going on with our current offensive line personnel and also to see how Moye and Wheaton develop. It's also hard to really gauge or evaluate Bell behind the current line.

Maybe a big receiver / tight end or QB on offense but other than that...

Also, I know it is a crazy long shot but I am still holding out hope that Spence makes a comeback.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GBMelBlount For This Useful Post:
NSMaster56 (11-07-2013)
Old 11-07-2013, 09:01 PM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,102 Times in 3,082 Posts

well no matter what we are going to have to draft either offense or defense next year. And make no bones about it I say we are either going to have to go with the 4-3 defense or the 3-4.
and when it comes to playing the games, on every single freaking down I guarantee you we have to decide to either run or pass the ball.

Obviously.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:10 PM   #10
NSMaster56
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
well no matter what we are going to have to draft either offense or defense next year. And make no bones about it I say we are either going to have to go with the 4-3 defense or the 3-4.
and when it comes to playing the games, on every single freaking down I guarantee you we have to decide to either run or pass the ball.

Obviously.
The Steelers should shock the NFL world come 2014:

Run a 46 defense.

Draft only special teams.

Punt every down.

Fire all coaching staff.

Defy conventions, break the mold, innovate.

Opponents will never see it coming.