Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 11-14-2013, 11:05 PM   #11
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,187 Times in 697 Posts
Default Re: Mike Adams

Looking carefully, you will see a Will Johnson, that helped out Adams considerably on the play, pop up right after the pancake. Adams got the credit, but IMO, he had some help.

As for Adams, there is no doubt the kid has all the tools to be a great tackle. That said, his technique SUCKS!! Until he gets it together, he's scrubeenie material until he does.
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VaDave For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (11-15-2013)
Old 11-15-2013, 11:04 AM   #12
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,298 Times in 647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
Right, because Timmons is a top 5 ILB in the NFL and Nigel Bradham is... Nigel Bradham. He's not a bad player, but we haven't seen Adams pancake anyone to this point on the left side of the line when he's going up against even average pass rushers.

I'm not trying to take away from the guy, but I'm going to temper my excitement because this is the first time all season where he hasn't fucked up his assignment on a consistent basis. He wasn't drafted to be an option Tight End on the goal line and in our jumbo set - he was drafted to be our next Left Tackle. Until he proves to be other than everyone's whipping boy on the left side of the line, I'm going to be disappointed.
He was drafted as an OT with what some thought was LT type athletic ability. He was also drafted as some thought with bust potential, because he was inconsistent and would rather be selling his OSU gear and smoking pot instead of hitting the weight room. Expecting a 2nd year guy to play LT against the best pass rushers in the NFL, when its not clear he has the technique is setting him up to fail IMO. The fact that he showed a nasty finish in run blocking is better than any other OT we had run blocking on Sunday.

As for Nigel Bradham, if he is such a poor player that is suspect to being pancaked by other NFL linemen....how often does he get pancaked each week? Vince Williams is a 6th round pick.....how often does he get pancaked by NFL O linemen ? I was looking for Cowboys LB's Bruce Carter or Justin Durant to be similarly squished by Jhari Evans or Ben Grubbs last week vs the Saints......but never saw it.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #13
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,298 Times in 647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Yep, you stated that numerous times. Alas...

What would you do to "transition" Adams back into the line-up? I say: let him play this TE role, get a few more pancake blocks, boost his confidence... and work on his mechanics (it's "mechanics", right?).

Oh, and indeed... a great finish to that block.
Adams is going to have to beat out Gilbert at RT currently, or wait for an injury, or platoon him at RT. Adams is huge, with long arms and we all see he can run block. In pass protection he needs to work on more of a punch, IMO.

He needs to practice his pass pro sets, 3 ft away from a sled and then practice kick sliding and punching the sled to ensure his balance, height and strike to the rusher, with his butt down and head up. Against the Vikings, he lunged at Allen with head down and butt up, then lost Allen who sacked Ben.

I'm sure Bicknell has them doing some kind of duck step or duck walk drills to practice the footwork, but basically there are few guys going to bull rush Adams, so if he stays low, can shock the rusher with a 2-handed strike to the chestplate, while keeping his shoulders square to the Line of Scrimmage......the guy should be unbeatable in pass protection.

I would work him in at RT, so if he makes a mistake, its in front of Ben and not on his blindside. After he learns to play RT and gets consistent in his technique, they can look at him on the left side. But maybe he is just gonna bust?
Old 11-15-2013, 11:50 AM   #14
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,063 Times in 945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Those are the times you can get up from the pile, look a guy in the eyes for the rest of the game and BOTH of you, know........who got owned!!

Absof*ckinloutely!

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GBMelBlount For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (11-16-2013), harrison'samonster (11-15-2013), teegre (11-15-2013)
Old 11-15-2013, 12:05 PM   #15
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,827 Times in 2,092 Posts

-FIRE BICKNELL! HIRE GONZO!!!
Old 11-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #16
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 14,009 Times in 5,901 Posts

Quote:
After he learns to play RT and gets consistent in his technique, they can look at him on the left side. But maybe he is just gonna bust?
Or, option 3: he is a very good RT for a decade.

I'd be fine with that. A good RT... next to a great RG. Run right!!!

And, thank you. Very detailed... as always.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
GBMelBlount (11-15-2013), harrison'samonster (11-15-2013)
Old 11-15-2013, 08:09 PM   #17
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 6,723 Times in 2,920 Posts

Mike Adams works back into Steelers lineup at tight end

Posted by Josh Alper on November 15, 2013

When the Steelers drafted Mike Adams in the second round of the 2012 draft, the idea was that heíd join with center Maurkice Pouncey and guard David DeCastro to give the the team a young foundation on their offensive line.

It hasnít worked out that way as Adams struggled mightily as a pass blocker at left tackle, getting benched after being abused by Vikings defensive end Jared Allen this season and leading the Steelers to make a trade for Levi Brown. Brown never played for the team, but Kelvin Beachum has taken over as the starter. Thatís left Adams to take on a different role.

The team has started inserting him into games as a tight end, causing him to report as eligible 26 times in last weekendís victory over Buffalo. The Steelers ran the ball on 22 of those plays and Adams blocked well, earning him a compliment from coach Mike Tomlin even as Tomlin made it clear that Adams hasnít solved the problems that forced him off of tackle in the first place.

ďHeís doing a really nice job with what weíre asking him to do as a tight end, and itís provided some good gas for us in that regard,Ē Tomlin said, via the Beaver County Times. ďI donít want to equate that to tackle play. Obviously, itís a different set of issues.Ē

Unless Adams starts catching passes from Ben Roethlisberger over the second half of the season, itís hard to see a big future for Adams in Pittsburgh when they only trust him to be a sixth run blocker.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-at-tight-end/
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawaii 5-0 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (11-17-2013), Jazzo (11-15-2013)
Old 11-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #18
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 7,102 Times in 3,067 Posts

Quote:
He was drafted as an OT with what some thought was LT type athletic ability. He was also drafted as some thought with bust potential, because he was inconsistent and would rather be selling his OSU gear and smoking pot instead of hitting the weight room. Expecting a 2nd year guy to play LT against the best pass rushers in the NFL, when its not clear he has the technique is setting him up to fail IMO. The fact that he showed a nasty finish in run blocking is better than any other OT we had run blocking on Sunday.

As for Nigel Bradham, if he is such a poor player that is suspect to being pancaked by other NFL linemen....how often does he get pancaked each week? Vince Williams is a 6th round pick.....how often does he get pancaked by NFL O linemen ? I was looking for Cowboys LB's Bruce Carter or Justin Durant to be similarly squished by Jhari Evans or Ben Grubbs last week vs the Saints......but never saw it.
He can't play Left Tackle and struggles when Heath isn't there to babysit him when he's playing RT and in pass protection. Can he run block? Absolutely, the pancaking of Bradham shows that. Does he get beaten by average pass rushers on a regular basis? Unfortunately, the answer to that is also absolutely. Against a Bills team when he wasn't asked to match-up against DEs/OLB pass rushers he did well but when he's asked to be in pass protection he fails.

So because other players weren't pancaked by Grubbs and Evans, Adams is showing improvement? I'm sorry, I don't buy that excuse. I know you're trying to look for positives in Adams' game but I just don't see it. Pancaking Bradham is a start, now he needs to play consistently even blocking as a TE. We're going to have to pour money into a free agent/spend a high draft pick on another LT because Adams didn't pan out. Is it unreasonable to call him a bust right now? Probably, but it's also unreasonable to expect any kind of growth based on his performance this past season. If there was a worse Tackle in the NFL this season, I don't think I saw him play.

Baby steps I guess.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:34 AM   #19
FrancoLambert
Head Coach

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,206 Times in 652 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
He mauled an OLB in a 4-3 scheme. We're not talking about a guy like Tamba Hali or Jared Allen here - he got Nigel Bradham. It's improvement, but let's temper our expectations here a bit. He pancaked a second year guy. When he starts significantly improving in pass protection (as in not lunging at DEs/OLBs anymore) I'll get excited.
^^^^This^^^^

One pancake block and he's turned the corner?
I'm not buying it yet.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:59 AM   #20
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,063 Times in 945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
^^^^This^^^^

One pancake block and he's turned the corner?
I'm not buying it yet.
It has been generally accepted that Adams is a decent run blocker.

The question is if he can develop into a good pass blocker as well....

If he does then he is a keeper.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GBMelBlount For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (11-16-2013), harrison'samonster (11-17-2013)